question about bringing 2 bottles of wine per person aboard

l_n_kelly

I am going on a cruise with my 19 year old daughter.  Per the Celebrity alcohol policy, it mentions allowing 2 bottles of wine per guest.  It mentions guests not having alcohol purchased at ports returned to them if they are under the drinking age.  And it also says "No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time while onboard. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations.".  

All that said, can my 19 year old bring a bottle of wine aboard for me to consume (in addition to the two I am allowed)?  I understand it is skirting around the rules...I am just trying to save a little money.  But I don't want to get in trouble (or embarrass myself or my daughter).  I just find the rules to be very confusing.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

It might help if you tell us where your sailing is because there are different rules for US based versus other locations.

But if you are sailing from the US, I think you are taking a big chance that you will be flagged and that she will be embarrassed for what, to save a few dollars? Not worth it, in my opinion

8 minutes ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

WHATEVER YOU DECIDE TO BRING, IT NEEDS TO BE IN YOUR CARRY ON LUGGAGE

Do both, two per person in your checked luggage and two per person carried on.  I've checked them several times, always get them on.  The key is to put no more than two bottles per bag; no one actually keeps a stateroom log of how many bottles were brought on

Why is it so hard to simply folllow the rules instead of encouraging others with ways to possibly get around them?  The daughter is underage in the US and could be, although highly unlikely, cited for minor possession.  Just bring your two bottles in your carry on baggage and be happy with that. 

• Like 7

Thank you for all of your opinions and ideas (and only a small amount of judgement...not too bad!).  I guess I knew deep down it would be taking a risk and I am not a big risk taker, so I will most likely just stick to my two bottles.  😀

• Like 1

20 hours ago, l_n_kelly said:

I am going on a cruise with my 19 year old daughter.  Per the Celebrity alcohol policy, it mentions allowing 2 bottles of wine per guest.  It mentions guests not having alcohol purchased at ports returned to them if they are under the drinking age.  And it also says "No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time while onboard. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations.".  

All that said, can my 19 year old bring a bottle of wine aboard for me to consume (in addition to the two I am allowed)?  I understand it is skirting around the rules...I am just trying to save a little money.  But I don't want to get in trouble (or embarrass myself or my daughter).  I just find the rules to be very confusing.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

no she may not

19 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Do both, two per person in your checked luggage and two per person carried on.  I've checked them several times, always get them on.  The key is to put no more than two bottles per bag; no one actually keeps a stateroom log of how many bottles were brought on

that is violating the rules and your contract

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Put a couple of bottles in your luggage that you hand off to the porters and carry on the rest (2 per person 21+)

again, against the rules. Circumventing the rules is wrong on many levels.  Also, if a couple bottles of wine is going to break the bank, then you can't afford the cruise.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

that is violating the rules and your contract

3 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

again, against the rules. Circumventing the rules is wrong on many levels.  Also, if a couple bottles of wine is going to break the bank, then you can't afford the cruise.

How many rules are in the cruise contract?  Almost no one knows because almost no one reads it... 😅

If X takes your wine no problem!  They give it back to you to enjoy on the last night of the sailing, so clearly X doesn't even care about its own so called wine "rule"

• Like 3

21 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

It might help if you tell us where your sailing is because there are different rules for US based versus other locations.

But if you are sailing from the US, I think you are taking a big chance that you will be flagged and that she will be embarrassed for what, to save a few dollars? Not worth it, in my opinion

I don’t have anyone under the age of 21 cruising with us, so this is more a curiosity question.  If the cruise originated in Europe where drinking age is 18, can someone under the age of 21 carry on wine?  

32 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

How many rules are in the cruise contract?  Almost no one knows because almost no one reads it... 😅

If X takes your wine no problem!  They give it back to you to enjoy on the last night of the sailing, so clearly X doesn't even care about its own so called wine "rule"

No problem. Your secret is safe with me. 😉🍷

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

Just to clarify,  it is ok to put your wine in your checked luggage or will you get called to the naughty room?   We only bring carryons and don't like to schlep through the ship with them during embarkation.

You run the risk of being summons to the naughty room. If you do then you have to schlep your checked bags to your stateroom yourself. No need to schlep your carry ons around with you. When you first board the ship you are allowed to go directly to your stateroom, pick up your Seapass cards and drop off your carry ons, then leave until the general announcement is made that the staterooms are ready. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

so I guess an agreement and rules are irrelevant to you unless you personally decide its in your best interest or convenience to observe them?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

so I guess an agreement and rules are irrelevant to you unless you personally decide its in your best interest or convenience to observe them?

It states if you bring sealed wine/liquor on beyond the allotted amount, they will take it and give it back the last sailing of the cruise

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

Or you are jealous of others having more of their favorite wine to enjoy onboard than you. 🙃

37 minutes ago, Not Revealed said:

We're not cheap. We buy the full drink package. However, if we want a glass of wine on our balcony in the afternoon, we don't want to trek all the way to a bar. One bottle of wine for a 10 day cruise is not reasonable.

2 bottles per passenger would give you 4 for a 10 day trip, without breaking the rules.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...