Livorno Port, 7AM “arrive”, possible to be in Florence @ 9am?

Cato610

Booked the Reflection for 9 day in September out of Barcelona. We haven’t cruised since our honeymoon ~*mumble*~ years ago. It says we arrive in port at 7am. When do they actually let you off the ship?  Trying to determine if 9am show time for Vespa tour out of Florence is feasible if we hire private car?

2 minutes ago, Cato610 said:

Booked the Reflection for 9 day in September out of Barcelona. We haven’t cruised since our honeymoon ~*mumble*~ years ago. It says we arrive in port at 7am. When do they actually let you off the ship?  Trying to determine if 9am show time for Vespa tour out of Florence is feasible if we hire private car?

No way, no. It's 90 mins by car. Impossible. 

10 minutes ago, Cato610 said:

Highly unlikely. It takes about half an hour to get the ship ready for passengers to disembark for the day. Traffic to Florence can be heavy. I personally would not chance it.

7 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Highly unlikely. It takes about half an hour to get the ship ready for passengers to disembark for the day. Traffic to Florence can be heavy. I personally would not chance it.

What about 10am show time in Florence with private car?

I wouldn't schedule anything before  noon.     

Not sure of mode of transportation but would run about 1 1/2 hour by car (without traffic) to 2 1/2 hour by train and you have to get from the port to train station

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cato610 said:

What about 10am show time in Florence with private car?

Maybe but I wouldn't count on it. The roads are nothing like in the states. Not even close.  

I doubt you would make an 11 am show...

Edited by dlh015
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cato610 said:

Glad I asked. So for a 6pm departure of the ship the next day from Livorno port, what time would you safely depart Florence?

The all onboard time will be at least 1/2 hour earlier than departure time if not a little more. I forget the exact time. So I would figure you would need to leave Florence by 3pm at the very latest...to be safe.

(And remember to bring the emergency numbers in case you need to contact the ship if running late.)

When we were there in June, we were on a ship sponsored excursion (by bus, but it doesn't really matter if you do it by car, frankly...imo) and were an hour late back to the ship (just made it) because of construction and repair work. FYI, there was no construction going to Florence...just the return.

So related question. We’ve been to Cinque Terre, Lucca, and Florence. My goal was to experience more of the classic Tuscany countryside.  I believe that region is best represented south of Florence, Chianti region?. Most of the tours I’ve found are out of Florence.  What would be the most efficient way to do that out of Livorno port, 2 days there?

Tour example:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Florence/Tuscany-Vespa-moped-tour-from-Florence/d519-71830P1

Tick off several of Tuscany's most renowned locations during this full-day Vespa tour. Enjoy a photo stop and farm visit at Fattoria Poggio Alloro and take a guided stroll through the picture-perfect village of San Gimignano, with free time to explore. Tours include a three-course lunch paired with a tasting of nine local wines at Tenuta Torciano.

I feel like I am on another planet from most of these posters. I think it would be perfectly feasible to get to Florence at 10:00 am if the ship docks a 7:00 and the OP has a private driver. That's 2.5 hours even assuming you can't get off the ship for half an hour!  Most of the time I've been off much faster.

I've done the shuffle via taxi to train station to Florence and still managed to get there in just under two hours...

@Cato610 Where does your tour start?

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

We also experienced heavy traffic from the port to Florence.  We met our guide on the dock bright and early and ended up sitting in stop and go traffic En route to Florence.  

What time did you eventually get there?

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I feel like I am on another planet from most of these posters. I think it would be perfectly feasible to get to Florence at 10:00 am if the ship docks a 7:00 and the OP has a private driver. That's 2.5 hours even assuming you can't get off the ship for half an hour!  Most of the time I've been off much faster.

I've done the shuffle via taxi to train station to Florence and still managed to get there in just under two hours...

@Cato610 Where does your tour start?

Near Uffizi. 

On 2/17/2023 at 11:32 AM, Cato610 said:

So related question. We’ve been to Cinque Terre, Lucca, and Florence. My goal was to experience more of the classic Tuscany countryside.  I believe that region is best represented south of Florence, Chianti region?. Most of the tours I’ve found are out of Florence.  What would be the most efficient way to do that out of Livorno port, 2 days there?

Tour example:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Florence/Tuscany-Vespa-moped-tour-from-Florence/d519-71830P1

Tick off several of Tuscany's most renowned locations during this full-day Vespa tour. Enjoy a photo stop and farm visit at Fattoria Poggio Alloro and take a guided stroll through the picture-perfect village of San Gimignano, with free time to explore. Tours include a three-course lunch paired with a tasting of nine local wines at Tenuta Torciano.

Sounds like a great tour. 
we did a private tour with Rome in Limo, they are really more drivers than two or guides, but we have always had excellent commentary. The company will make a tour for you, or you can research and find the spots you want to go on your own. I arranged for a private lunch in the vineyards at Tenuta Torciano and it was the most wonderful travel experiences we've ever had. We ate under a beautiful pergola in the middle of the vineyards, and delicious food, and as you said, had nine glasses, sitting in front of us, and had nine tastings. It was so memorable, I hope you can go there.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 4:13 PM, Peteymil said:

Sounds like a great tour. 
we did a private tour with Rome in Limo, they are really more drivers than two or guides, but we have always had excellent commentary. The company will make a tour for you, or you can research and find the spots you want to go on your own. I arranged for a private lunch in the vineyards at Tenuta Torciano and it was the most wonderful travel experiences we've ever had. We ate under a beautiful pergola in the middle of the vineyards, and delicious food, and as you said, had nine glasses, sitting in front of us, and had nine tastings. It was so memorable, I hope you can go there.

Funny you say that, because Tenuta Torciano is one of the wineries I scheduled. They have the wine tasting etc around a 3 hour vespa ride. I’m going to arrange a car to take us right to their location near San G and skip Florence altogether that morning. Still looking for the shuttle service for one way Livorno port to San Gimignano.  Best price I’ve found so far is $225. 

2 hours ago, Cato610 said:

Funny you say that, because Tenuta Torciano is one of the wineries I scheduled. They have the wine tasting etc around a 3 hour vespa ride. I’m going to arrange a car to take us right to their location near San G and skip Florence altogether that morning. Still looking for the shuttle service for one way Livorno port to San Gimignano.  Best price I’ve found so far is $225. 

Curious, why only 1 way?