Platinum Insurance Premium -- Refundable if Cruise Cancelled Before Cancellation Penalties Start Date?

Oak Hill Cruisers

Boatdrill is correct. The premium is not refundable right now. The premium was refundable during a 10-day review period after purchase of the plan.

A medical issue has come up and we will most certainly have to cancel our cruise. It's still several weeks before the usual cancellation fees start to take effect. So it probably makes sense to cancel right away rather than wait and use the 'cancel for any reason' provision.

1 hour ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Boatdrill is correct. The premium is not refundable right now. The premium was refundable during a 10-day review period after purchase of the plan.

A medical issue has come up and we will most certainly have to cancel our cruise. It's still several weeks before the usual cancellation fees start to take effect. So it probably makes sense to cancel right away rather than wait and use the 'cancel for any reason' provision.

I’m not seeing where there would be any difference.

This is why we buy 3rd party travel insurance through our TA, if we cancel the paid insurance premium can be moved to any other cruise on any cruise pine. This came in handy with so many cruise cancelations in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

Edited by terrydtx

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

This is why we buy 3rd party travel insurance through our TA, if we cancel the paid insurance premium can be moved to any other cruise on any cruise pine. This came in handy with so many cruise cancelations in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

I hear this all the time.  I want cancel for any reason insurance.  I’ve yet to hear of any plan privately that matches Hal’s.  Even on Princess you get a fcc if you cancel for any reason.  I want cash.  Iirc celebrity’s plan for Canadians is something like 50 percent back.  Ridiculous.  If you get a private policy you have to concern yourself with pre-existing conditions.  None of that with Hal’s.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I hear this all the time.  I want cancel for any reason insurance.  I’ve yet to hear of any plan privately that matches Hal’s.  Even on Princess you get a fcc if you cancel for any reason.  I want cash.  Iirc celebrity’s plan for Canadians is something like 50 percent back.  Ridiculous.  If you get a private policy you have to concern yourself with pre-existing conditions.  None of that with Hal’s.

Not exactly... IIRC, the pre-existing conditions must be stable for a specified period of time - at least many of the pre-existing conditions.  

Thank you all for replying to our question. Our HAL Personal Cruise Consultant has left HAL and we're in the process of getting a new one assigned to service our two remaining cruises, the upcoming Voyage of the Vikings and the 2024 GWV.

Since we may also cancel the 2024 GWV, maybe not much use in asking our new PCC to transfer our Voyage of the Vikings Platinum insurance to the 2024 GWV. But we may ask him/her just for shucks to see if it can be done, given the price of the GWV. Wish us luck. 😉 

Since we've been on 45-50 cruises and have never cancelled a single one, we almost always purchase trip cancellation insurance when we book a cruise.

• Like 1