Disney Newbie- some questions

kelkel2

I’m going to try to keep this organized. But I have questions that keep coming to mind. 
My twins are 4 right now and we already have another cruise booked in 2024 with carnival that we aren’t willing to cancel. 
Ok, so here goes…

When does Disney post sailings past 5/2024. We already have carnival booked 6/2024.

Does Disney have rooms with 2 tv’s?

Are connecting cabins easy to come by?

Does Disney offer a drink package? We’re not big drinkers but we like everything paid for ahead of time! 
Finally, does Disney ever do discounts or kids sail free promotions I should look out for? 
Thanks for the help, I’m just completely clueless with Disney. 

1. DCL definitely releases their schedule later, and in smaller chunks than most of the other cruise lines. I believe there is a sight that has tracked when the schedules have been released in the past, but since COVID, the release dates have not followed the past patterns. I'll post the link here. Hopefully it's allowed:

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/itineraries/itinerary-announcement-history/

It seems they used to be released in mid to late Feb, but last year they were released in April. So they should be released some time between now and then (people are hoping for earlier, of course). 

2.  Category 8A rooms on the dream and fantasy have 2 TV's (some of the open configurations may not?) Unfortunately, they may have a max occupancy of only 3. I'm not aware of any other standard room categories with 2 TVs. Concierge suites (though not the standard concierge verandas) will have multiple televisions.

3. Yes, I think a majority of cabins are connecting. If you book early, you'll have no problem getting connecting cabins.

4. No drink packages.

Each adult can bring 2 bottles of wine or a 6 pack of beer. Each adult can also bring on an additional 2 bottles or 6 pack at each port.

Disney offers a wine or beer package of X bottles/cans at a discount over purchasing them separately.

They sell a "refillable" beer mug. If purchased, the refills are 20oz for the 16oz price.

Their "drink of the day" specials are priced at a good discount.

The bars will have a daily happy hour where various beers, wines, and cocktails will be discounted. Sometimes they even offer a little snack buffet.

5. I'm not aware of any "kids sail free" offers. However, they had a Disney+ sale for trips this January - April (not on the Wish, and with some blackout dates for other ships) where they actually offered free 3rd and 4th passengers (applicable to both kids and adults). You had to be a Disney+ subscriber at the time of the booking.

The sale was announced in September 2022 (I think) and was only applicable for sailings Jan - April 2023. No one knows whether they'll offer anything similar again. However, if they do a similar offer, it's probably unlikely it would bee applicable for summer sailings.

Disney will sometimes offer "guaranteed with restrictions" rates. Usually they're only offered closer to the sail date (around final payment time), and come with a series restrictions as the name implies.

Hopefully this helps to get you started.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are new to Disney cruise line.

How do families book 1 year out with current Disney policy of Non Refundable Deposits....

and 

No shifting deposit to another sailing or name changes as these would result in complete cancellation .

We want to book multi family cruise but, with small kids, so much can happen before final payment.

Very surprised at this policy.

3 hours ago, phissy said:

We are new to Disney cruise line.

How do families book 1 year out with current Disney policy of Non Refundable Deposits....

and 

No shifting deposit to another sailing or name changes as these would result in complete cancellation .

We want to book multi family cruise but, with small kids, so much can happen before final payment.

Very surprised at this policy.

Unless there's been a change, the only non-refundable deposit on DCL is if you book Concierge.  

All other deposits are refundable, until final payment date.

Where are you seeing that deposits are non-refundable a year in advance?

Typically you can move any payments to a future cruise, but you're going to pay the going rate for that new cruise, not be set at whatever the old reservation cost.

Name changes making a reservation a cancellation is sort of new, only been in effect for a few years.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Thanks 1

It would be for Concierge booking, 2 cabins.  

Thank you for answers to questions.  It seems that we can move deposit , if we need to, before final payment. 

After final payment, we will rely on our travel insurance if something happens that requires it.

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2023 at 3:08 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Just buy yourself some onboard credit to cover drinks. That's what I do.

How do you do that?  I've read elsewhere that I could charge an additional amount with our final payment and that would serve as onboard credit - is that what you do?

8 minutes ago, CarolynFH said:

How do you do that?  I've read elsewhere that I could charge an additional amount with our final payment and that would serve as onboard credit - is that what you do?

No, I think you can buy it under "onboard gifts". Or you can call and tel them you'd like to buy onboard credit. I've never heard of being able to overcharge to do it.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SnowWhite35 said:

What mouth are going in 2024 and on witch ship are going on and form port are you sailing from.

Magic, January 2024, Galveston. I looked for a roll call, didn’t see any recent ones for the Magic (maybe because it just came out of dry dock!).