Brief review of MS Statendam, February 4 to February 18

albingirl

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

albingirl was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We recently returned from a nice cruise.  It was a fully sold out cruise, however, and we felt that.  The sea days were mobbed and the only reprieve was when we were in port.  Our cabin was fine, it was a window on deck one which my husband loved, since we just climbed the stairs to the Dutch Cafe and Club Orange.  Speaking of Club Orange, it was wonderful to have that quiet restaurant for 2 weeks.  The food was good and the staff was outstanding. They all received an excellent review from us.  We were happy to avoid the wait times and crowds in the main dining room.  We were happy to have the have it all package.  I would have been miserable had we depended on happy hours.  Staff in there was extremely slow.

The entertainment was lacking, but the BB King band was excellent on this ship.  We miss the live music in the Ocean Bar.  Speaking of music, it was very loud, at all times by the pool.  I couldn't hear myself think, and as a reader, it was terribly distracting.  

The deli came in handy for lunch.  I couldn't bear the Lido on this trip.  I went once for lunch, and saw a woman place her hands on food that was not supposed to be touched, and that ended it for me.

The ports were all beachy, HMC, Grand Turk, Nassau, St. Thomas, etc.  We've seen them all but really do enjoy being back.  I do think this is our last Caribbean cruise, since we've been so much, and there is so much in the world left to see.  Since we are in Florida, we don't necessarily need the beaches.  It was a nice break, though, and we did enjoy so much about this cruise.  The staff was probably the best I've ever seen, and friendly to boot.  Lovely people, really. Some people got special recognition from us and it was well deserved.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your report!  It's so inconsistent from one ship/cruise to the next.  On Rotterdam in November 2022, I was sitting at the Lido pool one day and made note how pleasant it was in there because I could hear some background music (popular music from the wide boomer age group I think) but it was at a low, and to me, perfect decibel level.  I'm VERY sensitive to loud music/sounds but that cruise was enjoyable.  Go figure.

~Nancy

• Like 1

Reminds me of cruising several years ago with my young adult daughters. I was in my late 50's.   The bars were always crowded in the evenings.  I would walk over to one and wait for what seemed like hours to order a drink.  I am not the pushy type, and the bar staff would basically ignore me. I finally got wise and sent up one of my two daughters to order my drinks.  Wham...just like that, a bar tender would swoop in and take the orders.  😃

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, albingirl said:

25 % off, and they raised the prices midway through our cruise!

We had the Have It All package, but one bartender pointed out the price increase.  Just for informational purposes, I imagine.  He was surprised at the price jump.

Thanks for your review.  We also miss the live music that used to be in the Ocean bar and watching the guests dance.  

I’m very sensitive to loud music and do not like music at the pool unless as background and very low.  But what they think is background music isn’t to me-or hasn’t been in our experience.

• Like 2