What does a butler do?

Heather White

10 minutes ago, nfcu said:

Wow, problems with 3 different butlers?  Maybe the problem isn't with the butlers.......

We've had 5 butlers on Crystal, 4 on Azamara, and 1 on Oceania - all good to outstanding.  The major problem with Regent was following through with things like reservations.

Never had a poor butler on Regent. Usually outstanding. This last sailing, our butler was new. He did not have the experience to know certain things. I told him everything I liked and he followed up for us. Nothing wrong with instructions from a guest to make him more knowledgeable regarding his responsibilities. 
sheila

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Post it said:

There are 3 reasons why I didn't complain about the service issues:

1.  After having poor service with a 2nd and then a 3rd butler, I assumed the problem was endemic to Regent butlers (especially after having superior butlers on other lines).

And therein lies the problem.  If you don't discuss your problem with the appropriate people and give them a chance to correct it, it simply compounds the problem for future cruisers.  Nothing is "endemic to Regent butlers."  Regent always strives to correct issues.  But can only do so if given the chance.  When you say nothing and then come on social media insinuate the unsolved problem is "endemic to Regent" it gives people the impression that Regent doesn't live up to it's hype and doesn't care to.  Most here have experienced the opposite, that when Regent doesn't live up to their hype, and is notified on board, the issue is usually resolved to the highest level possible.  If your butlers gave you poor service, and you didn't let anyone know, they can't correct the service.  

In my opinion only, and not trying to be snarky, but saying nothing to the cruise line at any point, either on or after the cruise, then you are part of the problem, not part of the solution. 

• Like 4

My first reaction to papaflamingo's post is it's the classic "blame the victim" mentality when any criticism of Regent is raised (and why I have rarely posted in the past).  However, it does raise an interesting point of how one person can change a problem that happened repeatedly.

Butlers make your life easier.

For us it depends on the cruise line.  Some do more.

Specialty dining in the cabin after a full day doing shore excursions. Can be served course by course but we generally skip that. 

That extra reservation also can be nice.  The good butlers will check in advance to see what is open and then offer these to his guests.

On Silversea our daily canape dose of Caviar delivered before dinner -- yum.

Our evening cheese snack delivered and waiting for us after dinner.

Last cruise on Oceania our butler found my DW a cane -- since she inadvertently left hers at home.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Post it said:

My first reaction to papaflamingo's post is it's the classic "blame the victim" mentality when any criticism of Regent is raised

I wasn't "blaming the victim."  But how would you like it if someone came into your business, purchased your product, smiled and said "thank you" and left, only to go on social media and complain to literally thousands of future consumers of your product, that the product or service  is not up to standards without ever giving you any warning or opportunity to correct the problem?  Do you think that's a fair way to handle the situation?  

I'm not "defending Regent," I'm only saying that in most everyone's experience Regent will "jump through hoops" trying to correct any issue, real or perceived.  If they refuse to fix the situation, THEN bring it up on social media.  

• Like 5

On 2/23/2023 at 7:35 AM, irishwitchy said:

We will have a butler next year!  Not sure, what I will want him to do.  Could they get the canapés to be little hot dogs or pizza bagels or chicken wings instead of fruit and cheese and cubes of cold cuts? 

It would  be interesting to see how they unpack and store everything.  I may learn something! 

They unpack for you?
I would not be happy with that. I like to choose where my things go..

5 hours ago, mochuck said:

They unpack for you?

You're not required to have them do anything for you if you don't want them to.  They will respond accordingly and individually to your own requests and desires. Different cruisers will have different preferences and their respective butlers will gladly accommodate all those individual wishes.  The less time they have to spend with one set of suite guests, will give them more time to fulfill other guest requirements.  They all work very hard and don't have too many free moments in their day.

• Like 3

On 3/7/2023 at 3:34 AM, mochuck said:

They unpack for you?

Oh, I like to choose where my stuff goes also,  but it would be interesting to see if they improve on my skills, so I may just let them go for it!  It may give my husband a good story, a good laugh or hopefully some tips! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irishwitchy said:

Oh, I like to choose where my stuff goes also,  but it would be interesting to see if they improve on my skills, so I may just let them go for it!  It may give my husband a good story, a good laugh or hopefully some tips! 

Since I am disabled, I have our butler unpack and pack for us. But, I do watch where everything is being stored and it’s where I can reach it. 
I just love this service!

sheila

• Like 2

We will be on the Navigator in a penthouse for the first time.

Can a butler work on getting a shore excursion that's sold out....or should I hit the destination services desk when we board. It's not until later in the cruise.

Can a butler bring caviar on occasion as an afternoon snack. I know it's out there for Sundays, but didn't know if we could request some for in the cabin....

41 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

We will be on the Navigator in a penthouse for the first time.

Can a butler work on getting a shore excursion that's sold out....or should I hit the destination services desk when we board. It's not until later in the cruise.

Can a butler bring caviar on occasion as an afternoon snack. I know it's out there for Sundays, but didn't know if we could request some for in the cabin....

You need to be on the waitlist for a sold out excursion.  if you haven't done so, then get on the waitlist now.  You can ask the butler but I suspect all he can do is pass your request to the Shore Excursion people.  We were only on the waitlist twice and both excursions cleared shortly after boarding.  But we never asked the butler about it as we had all our excursions when we had a butler.

As for caviar, never ordered it, but I believe it's not supplied other than on Sunday free of charge.  I imagine if you want to order caviar for a charge your butler should be able to  arrange this.  It's also possible he might be able to get it free, doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by papaflamingo

On Splendor last December there was a caviar menu in the suite (PH), with the price for each available selection.  The one we ordered was $100, but you can use OBC.  It comes with all the “fixins” and a bottle of the included champagne.  I would not have splurged except for the nonrefundable OBC we needed to use.

Thanks, all for the quick responses! 

We are on a waitlist for the excursion, have been for a long time. Maybe, after boarding we'll hear something, otherwise we'll just toss it to our butler and see what happens.

21 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Thanks, all for the quick responses! 

We are on a waitlist for the excursion, have been for a long time. Maybe, after boarding we'll hear something, otherwise we'll just toss it to our butler and see what happens.

Go to the Destination Services desk upon boarding.  They were very helpful.