Early to board but early to disembark?

Woody14

36 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Me too.  I try to avoid that frantic early embarkation crush.   It is kind of off-putting.  Much better to come  later and walk onto the ship.  

Exactly - the point of the exercise is to have a good time:  pushing and sweating to board early so you can lug your carry-on around while fighting the buffet mob is not my idea of how to start a vacation.  A leisurely boarding which lets you walk on and go straight to your cabin seems a better start.  At the end:   neither working up a sweat to be first on nor lingering with the crew wanting to see your back is an enjoyable coda to your vacation.

• Like 1

We don't really rush for anything. We'll have lunch in whatever city we are at, go back to wherever we were staying to collect our luggage  and then go to the port to board the ship. Never a line after lunch.

We usually disembark whenever we're assigned. The only time we were eager to get off was when we were in Tahiti and wanted to make a specific ferry to get to our over water bungalow on Moorea.

On 2/23/2023 at 4:42 PM, sanger727 said:

I don’t usually count my travel day home as a vacation day. 

You don't take a vacation day to travel home? Do you take a sick day or a personal day? Or does your shift start late in the day enough so you can fly back and clock in for the shift on the same day as the disembarkation day?

On 2/23/2023 at 2:48 PM, Woody14 said:

Okay I get wanting to board early to get my vacation started

My vacation starts when I leave home. I enjoy the embarkation city, sightsee, and try to get on board relatively late. Why be stuck on a ship, instead of sightseeing? 

you don't have to book the 9:45 am flight. 

Some people may have to. They may have several connection to make, and the early flight is the only one that will get them home, or to the next destination in a reasonable time, or at reasonable cost.

• Like 1

why the stress to get off the ship as one of the first people? 

Some people want to get off the ship early on disembarkation point for the same reason as in any other port: they want to go sightseeing. We typically sightsee after disembarkation and the flight home, if there is time.

On 2/23/2023 at 3:57 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

The sooner the disembarking ship can reach "zero count", the faster shore-side staff and ship crew can open up for embarkation.

You have had your vacation cruise, now it's time to let the next group of passengers have their's.

Agreed. 

I'm an early-on and early-off cruiser.  I like to get that 1000 check-in and be one of the first to board.  Unlike a previous post suggested, getting on that early does not cause me any sweating, mania, or ridiculous crowds.  In fact, it always seems like the biggest crowds are an hour or 2 later.  Never had a problem with the dining options either.  

Likewise, I get anxious on debarkation day.  I don't need to be first off but once people are getting off, I have no want or need to stick around.  If cruising out of Seattle, I'm usually home and unpacking before everyone is off.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Agreed. 

I'm an early-on and early-off cruiser.  I like to get that 1000 check-in and be one of the first to board.  Unlike a previous post suggested, getting on that early does not cause me any sweating, mania, or ridiculous crowds.  In fact, it always seems like the biggest crowds are an hour or 2 later.  Never had a problem with the dining options either.  

Likewise, I get anxious on debarkation day.  I don't need to be first off but once people are getting off, I have no want or need to stick around.  If cruising out of Seattle, I'm usually home and unpacking before everyone is off.  

If leaving from NY I’m starting my first load of laundry by 8:30 am.

• Like 2