Weather Amsterdam to Budapest last two weeks of May

pgoode

We finally took the plunge and booked with Emerald, Amsterdam to Budapest, May 15th - 29th.  I have been searching various sites and scanning reviews and YouTube videos trying to estimate temperatures in order to build my travel wardrobe.  It seems it will be cool - we are used to that; we live in Maine and the weather in May is variable for sure.  So - long pants and layers on top will mostly be in order, but can we expect any days warm enough for shorts/capris?  As we move away from the ocean heading toward Budapest, can we expect the temperature to warm up, as we would in Maine when we travel away from the coastline?  Thank you for your input.  Determined not to overpack!

We did a similar cruise with Scenic but in April so freezing in Amsterdam getting warmer as we approached Budapest. Maybe not shorts but yes Capris so pleased someone else uses that word. Walking shoes a must maybe a few shawls it can get chilly with air-con in the dinning room, also useful for those evenings on the sun deck. Mix and match and not to OTT is the way to go. Enjoy there’s loads to see and do.

We did a land trip in Budapest a couple of years ago in mid May and I was surprised how hot it was for a few days... it was mid to high 20's...around 75 plus in Fahrenheit. If you have space in your luggage, I'd pack a pair of shorts and a short sleeved top just in case that happens when you're there. It's so hard now to know what the weather any place will be like. 

• Like 1

I always check a weather app a couple of weeks prior to leaving, gives a good idea as to how temps will be. We were in Amsterdam the beginning of May 5 years ago and it was quite warm, in the 20's. I have been tracking weather in Budapest - right now at 6:40pm it's 12C, here it's -15and it's 12:40.   Looking at my month's ahead (app goes to Apr 9, probably not accurate, but gives an idea) and temps during daytime will be in between 14 - 18C. Being from Maine, you are probably going to be quite comfortable in spring clothes edging into summer weather (in other words, yes to shorts/capris), with a warm sweater and some longer pants for evenings.

Edited by Daisi