Galveston Disembarkation Disaster

mojomanny

3 minutes ago, DavidMutchler said:

Does anyone have experience with Lyft for embarkation (not debarkation) from Houston Hobby to the Port of Galveston?  How much did it cost (was surge pricing in effect?)

We did Lyft yesterday.  It was $52 for regular Lyft.  After we booked it asked if we wanted something a bit larger for $6, so we went with it and got a Rav4.

You probably won't get surge pricing on the way to Galveston since the pool of Lyft drivers in Houston vs. Galveston is much bigger.  To Galveston and from Galveston are two completely different scenarios.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I would also echo prebooking a shuttle service or use the cruise line to get to the airport.  This is one port that taxis and ride shares do not work well. 

For drivers this port is great.  Easy in and out with close parking although little is covered.  They are finishing an indoor area right at the pier that is serviced by a shuttle but we haven’t tried it yet. We have used the north lot and the covered. I’d be a little concerned with pier parking during hurricane season.  We always used the port garage in the fall to get the car higher.  It’d be a 20 minute walk to the terminal but might be worth it.  Galveston streets do flood in storms.  

Yes all the shuttles want to go to the airport.

I want to grab a taxi and go to my hotel where I parked my car.  ... I've only tried once and it was a disaster. And my cell phone doesnt seem to get a good connection at the new terminal. 

Not happy

2 hours ago, mil76 said:

The embarkation issues yesterday were outside the terminal.  I heard they were putting new power lines across I-45 so they closed the road for a period.  After they reopened the road I think that caused the crush of people. 

I had no complaints once we got to the terminal.  It was definitely crowded when we got there around 11:30, but I was impressed with how quickly they got us through.  

Such a road closure (and any lane closures/traffic slowdowns caused by the utility vehicles) might have also impacted Uber/Lyft vehicles summoned to port by disembarking passengers.  Again that’s not RCI’s fault.

To me this is a Lyft/Uber issue.  I have heard multiple times of cancelled rides for people in nearby hotels needing a ride to the pier for embarkation.  Their rides are cancelled because drivers want customers from pier to the airports which get them more money.  As for disembarkation, I have heard of escalating prices because the demand is higher (obviously).  

We decided on two choices.  Royal Caribbean transfers or private car company/ride shuttle services.  

We went with a private van shuttle service which costs a little more, but I am hoping this means no issue. 

7 hours ago, slyster said:

To me this is a Lyft/Uber issue.  I have heard multiple times of cancelled rides for people in nearby hotels needing a ride to the pier for embarkation.  Their rides are cancelled because drivers want customers from pier to the airports which get them more money.  As for disembarkation, I have heard of escalating prices because the demand is higher (obviously).  

We decided on two choices.  Royal Caribbean transfers or private car company/ride shuttle services.  

We went with a private van shuttle service which costs a little more, but I am hoping this means no issue. 

Hallelujah 

On 2/27/2023 at 2:03 PM, alfaeric said:

I see this was moved to the general board for Galveston, but it is a specific issue to Royals new terminal. It’s still a work in progress for leaving the terminal. 

Yes It’s a private enterprise issue outside of control of Port of Galveston , terminal operation,  or of Royal Caribbean 

Edited by ssb

On 2/26/2023 at 9:53 PM, mojomanny said:

Departing Allure today was a DISASTER

RCCL does not allow shuttles to stand with signs as you see at other ports and apparently they often do not allow Uber, only Lyft

Uber and Lyft would say 10-15 minutes (at a high price of $150-300) and one you confirmed they would say looking for driver ... until they timed out and cancelled, making you start all over again.  And each time you started over the price was higher

Side note: Uber was always the lower of the two options but what good is it if they don't deliver?

Using the Wait for Cheaper option resulted in waiting an hour and then timing out with no drivers available

Even pre-scheduled Uber and Lyfts were picking up an hour late, or not at all.

I know of several people that missed flights

My recommendation is to either pre-book a regular shuttle service like Galveston Express or book the RCCL shuttle bus for you debarkation.

My thoughts:
1. RCCL should allow other shuttles to pickup without reservations

2. Uber / Lyft should have to pay the passenger when they are unable to deliver.  If they want us to pay them if we cancel, they should pay us when they cancel or no show. We rely on their experience, knowledge and algorithms to make a decision, they should be responsible if they are wrong or provide inaccurate/misleading information

I have a 12 PM flight and wanted to book a Royal shuttle, but the earliest debarkation available shuttle is 12:30PM.  Crazy!