Galveston Disembarkation Disaster

mojomanny

Departing Allure today was a DISASTER

RCCL does not allow shuttles to stand with signs as you see at other ports and apparently they often do not allow Uber, only Lyft

Uber and Lyft would say 10-15 minutes (at a high price of $150-300) and one you confirmed they would say looking for driver ... until they timed out and cancelled, making you start all over again.  And each time you started over the price was higher

Side note: Uber was always the lower of the two options but what good is it if they don't deliver?

Using the Wait for Cheaper option resulted in waiting an hour and then timing out with no drivers available

Even pre-scheduled Uber and Lyfts were picking up an hour late, or not at all.

I know of several people that missed flights

My recommendation is to either pre-book a regular shuttle service like Galveston Express or book the RCCL shuttle bus for you debarkation.

My thoughts:
1. RCCL should allow other shuttles to pickup without reservations

2. Uber / Lyft should have to pay the passenger when they are unable to deliver.  If they want us to pay them if we cancel, they should pay us when they cancel or no show. We rely on their experience, knowledge and algorithms to make a decision, they should be responsible if they are wrong or provide inaccurate/misleading information

• Like 3

We boarded today and just booked RCI transfers for the first time ever for our flight from IAH in 2 Sundays.  Lyft/Uber has always been a crap-shoot from Galveston on disembarkation day.  You end up with surge pricing unless you are one of the very first off the boat.  We found out RCI transfers get baggage #1, so we figure it's less risk/stress to just do the transfers rather than deal with lugging our baggage off the ship and then having to worry about not being able to get a rideshare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojomanny said:

Uber and Lyft would say 10-15 minutes (at a high price of $150-300) and one you confirmed they would say looking for driver ... until they timed out and cancelled, making you start all over again.  And each time you started over the price was higher

If anyone actually gets an Uber or Lyft you should ask the driver how much they are getting paid and compare it to what you are being charged. I have heard the companies are giving less of the fare to the driver and this is causing the drivers, at least the experienced ones, to turn down the trips. Maybe that's why it's so hard to get an Uber even when they are charging higher prices. 

• Like 1

Just now, SG65CB said:

If anyone actually gets an Uber or Lyft you should ask the driver how much they are getting paid and compare it to what you are being charged. I have heard the companies are giving less of the fare to the driver and this is causing the drivers, at least the experienced ones, to turn down the trips. Maybe that's why it's so hard to get an Uber even when they are charging higher prices. 

No actually that's not the problem.  Only lyft paid the terminal for access, not uber. Uber isnt supposed to go in but they still sneak in. No one is watching the new terminal  .. only lyft is supposed to be allowed to drop off. Uber driver said she was told drop off in the parking lot. Uber doesnt want to pay for terminal access. 

There is for sure a problem.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mojomanny said:

RCCL does not allow shuttles to stand with signs as you see at other ports and apparently they often do not allow Uber, only Lyft

Side note: Uber was always the lower of the two options but what good is it if they don't deliver?

Using the Wait for Cheaper option resulted in waiting an hour and then timing out with no drivers available

My recommendation is to either pre-book a regular shuttle service like Galveston Express or book the RCCL shuttle bus for you debarkation.

My thoughts:

2. Uber / Lyft should have to pay the passenger when they are unable to deliver.  If they want us to pay them if we cancel, they should pay us when they cancel or no show. We rely on their experience, knowledge and algorithms to make a decision, they should be responsible if they are wrong or provide inaccurate/misleading information

Its not Royal. Its Uber not wanting to pay the permit fees. So they can only meet you outside the gate on the curb.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mojomanny said:

RCCL does not allow shuttles to stand with signs as you see at other ports ...

That sounds like a horrible experience. 

Could you say more about what you mean about the shuttles? I wasn't exactly clear on what specifically the problem was with the shuttles - which ones couldn't stand with signs? Companies like Galveston Express and Galveston Limousine that have an hourly shuttle? What about private transfers - could they stand somewhere with name signs?

Were there problems for those that had reservations, that they couldn't figure out where to go, or just that people couldn't decide to take a private shuttle if they hadn't prebooked? Was that because of Royal or because of the shuttle company? I'd really love to understand the private shuttle situation better at this port. 

10 hours ago, mojomanny said:

My thoughts:

I don’t understand what any of this has to do with Royal?   Sounds like a port issue and an Uber issue.  I don’t blame delta for how an airport decides to let cabs or cars pick up passengers.  

• Like 6

10 hours ago, mojomanny said:

Since when do Uber charge you for cancelling? We’ve cancelled several times and never been charged.

Also you are not going to always get knowledge or experience from an Uber/ Lyft driver - they’re not registered cabbies and may not do this as a full time job. I know a number of people who just drive in a casual basis to get some extra money on top of their salary.

Just now, topnole said:

I don’t understand what any of this has to do with Royal?   Sounds like a port issue and an Uber issue.  I don’t blame delta for how an airport decides to let cabs or cars pick up passengers.  

That was my thought, too.

The OP’s complaints really were not about disembarkation (ie, actually leaving the ship).  

The OP’s complaints are about the limited ground transportation options at the Galveston terminal.  I remember confronting that issue years ago when planning cruises from Galveston.  We prebooked shuttles or cruiseline transfers.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

Why not just take a taxi when getting off the ship? 

I couldnot imagine a taxi costing that much.

JMHO

There is no taxi line in the new terminal. I certainly would have. Very disappointed it's so difficult. 

Old terminal yes just grab a taxi. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

Why not just take a taxi when getting off the ship? 

I couldnot imagine a taxi costing that much.

JMHO

We waited for a while for one, and they didn’t show. There is a taxi stand, but there wasn’t any waiting around. One couple got there before us, and said that one came and left without anyone. 

Thankfully, it was a short walk downtown for us. 

Just be aware that there may not be taxis like there are at most other ports. If you can walk out to harbor side road, the other companies on the island can pick you up there. And there are shuttles that take you to the distant parking lots which should take care of that walk. 

I would also echo prebooking a shuttle service or use the cruise line to get to the airport.  This is one port that taxis and ride shares do not work well. 

For drivers this port is great.  Easy in and out with close parking although little is covered.  They are finishing an indoor area right at the pier that is serviced by a shuttle but we haven’t tried it yet. We have used the north lot and the covered. I’d be a little concerned with pier parking during hurricane season.  We always used the port garage in the fall to get the car higher.  It’d be a 20 minute walk to the terminal but might be worth it.  Galveston streets do flood in storms.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donsyb said:

Since when do Uber charge you for cancelling? We’ve cancelled several times and never been charged.

Also you are not going to always get knowledge or experience from an Uber/ Lyft driver - they’re not registered cabbies and may not do this as a full time job. I know a number of people who just drive in a casual basis to get some extra money on top of their salary.

My daughter was charged $5 by Uber for canceling in Boston.

13 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My daughter was charged $5 by Uber for canceling in Boston.

I just looked it up. Charges for cancellation depend on the circumstances, in our case the few times we have cancelled is because the driver was taking too long, you shouldn’t be charged for that. But if you cancel for no reason (I.e. not the drivers fault) they may charge you.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

I just looked it up. Charges for cancellation depend on the circumstances, in our case the few times we have cancelled is because the driver was taking too long, you shouldn’t be charged for that. But if you cancel for no reason (I.e. not the drivers fault) they may charge you.

It was a weird situation, her train came in but for whatever reason the driver couldn’t get to her.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've read multiple complaints today about lines today to embark.  Seen pictures. Not a pretty sight. 

The embarkation issues yesterday were outside the terminal.  I heard they were putting new power lines across I-45 so they closed the road for a period.  After they reopened the road I think that caused the crush of people. 

I had no complaints once we got to the terminal.  It was definitely crowded when we got there around 11:30, but I was impressed with how quickly they got us through.