Buffet dining on HAL

cruiseagona

After 10 cruises on NCL I think we are taking the plunge and switching to HAL. I do love the informality on NCL but lack of anything intelligent/lectures happening has gotten to me. Wondering about the buffet on HAL. We really like the informal nature of a buffet and are wondering about it on HAL. Watched a video about it and it seems ok but would love to hear opinions from real people? Is there variety? Does it get boring? TIA.

Lots of variety, great breakfasts and lunch choices, and dinner menu is often the same as served in the main dining room.

Boredom will depend on the length of your cruise,  because most cruise food has to be banquet type food in the big picture - unless one is going way premium in costs. We often did 40-50 day HAL cruises, found our favorites and were always happy with the  Lido choices.

Some we did not like and later avoided them (sushi has been improving, but is not a standout) but there are plenty others that make up for that. Plus there are other offerings around the ship to break up the variety - pizza and salads, Dive in burgers fries and hot dogs.

HAL's stand out are their fresh baked bread, which makes even a very simple ham-butter sandwich on a slim baguette a welcome lunch time treat. 

• Like 2

the salad bar...where you point at the zillion of choices to add and the crew member makes it come to mind.  

Also, the bread pudding is out at lunch....

Her Majesty enjoys the stir fry...pick your noodles and what to include....

fish n chips are good

eggs Benedict are my day 1 stop.....

It's all good and we enjoy it because the crew serves you and there are a variety of "stations" to choose.....

never got bored and thus far our longest cruise is 14 days. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TroubleT said:

I cruise mostly with Celebrity and recently there was a huge reduction of buffet options for dinner on Celebrity ships. 
How about HA? 

I've cruised 3x on HAL since the unpleasantness and the lido buffet seems just like it always has been....Lots to choose, many items freshly prepared. Same variety as far as I have noticed. 

(This is based on breakfast/lunch.  We've never/rarely frequented the lido buffet for dinner)

• Like 3

We cruised for 10 weeks on N Statendam between September and January.  We were very impressed with the buffet as well as other options: the Dutch Cafe, NY Deli and Dive in.  We found the choice better than on our Celebrity cruises but those "menu options" are pre covid..

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

I've cruised 3x on HAL since the unpleasantness and the lido buffet seems just like it always has been....Lots to choose, many items freshly prepared. Same variety as far as I have noticed. 

(This is based on breakfast/lunch.  We've never/rarely frequented the lido buffet for dinner)

"the unpleasantness"   I like your choice of euphemism!

I agree that the breakfast and lunch options at the Lido are as good as before. I was on Eurodam, and in addition to the usual things, they had lots of Asian options, and the makings of a proper English "fry up." Waffles, excellent crepes. Breakfast is wonderful. Lunch had many options, too, but I tried to stick to the salad bar to make up for my big breakfast. 

One correction to your earlier post. The bread pudding isn't "out" where you can see it. They hide it at the back of the dessert station. I suppose that's because it's where the warming spot is, but it always seems like a secret. 

OP, I haven't been on NCL in a zillion years, but I suspect their buffet is open all day and into the night. One aspect of HAL's buffet that is frequently criticized is that it is NOT open all day. There's a blank spot in the late afternoon, although on most ships you can get burgers or pizza at that time. And dinner is over around 9:00, and nothing until the 10:30 snack. (Those times are estimates, someone will correct me if I'm off on the timing)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

On 3 HAL ships (Zaandam, Zuierdam & Westerdam)last year and found the buffet had lots of choices, good quality (although mostly very bland). Only went once for dinner, but several breakfast or lunches, Never an issue with food or service.

• Like 1

You will find very good variety and well=prepared hot food in the Lido at lunch and dinner.  Dinner often has the same entrees as the MDR, without the need to spend 90-100 minutes to eat!

HAl has a great buffet!  They put food on the plates for you for most items....which is  good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

One correction to your earlier post. The bread pudding isn't "out" where you can see it.

On our Nieuw Statendam 2 weeks in November, it was visible (in the front) and the sauce was next to it.  

I have been on HAL ships where it is a hidden secret and was on the back counter.  Perhaps the positioning of the bread pudding is based on ship class!

Enjoy!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

On our Nieuw Statendam 2 weeks in November, it was visible (in the front) and the sauce was next to it.  

I have been on HAL ships where it is a hidden secret and was on the back counter.  Perhaps the positioning of the bread pudding is based on ship class!

Enjoy!

Bread pudding on the Rotterdam is not hidden but can be found among the bread at the Bread Station, not with desserts.

• Like 1

While the Lido does lean towards banquet items, it does have a few gems too; there is often an Indian or Malaysian curry or two towards one end of one of the "Distance Lands" sections, past whatever most people are lined up for. Sometimes these curries are *spicy* and extra flavourful. 

Opposite of the one of the dessert spreads is an ice cream section, for those that want the cake and ice cream too 😆. Around the orange celebration they have a lovely orange sherbet as well. At least half of the dessert items are good-to-great, often the key lime pies and crisps. We had a crispy banana crisp in the Caribbean last year that I have not forgotten. 

The sushi is okay, but is prepped the night before at Nami and is mostly California-style rolls (according to the chefs we talked to at Nami last trip). If you're craving sushi, the up-charge Nami is solid, and their miso is one of the best at sea,

The meat stations are generally ok-to-good, so focus on meats that work well as roasts versus steaks. Prime rib is decently good, as are the pork and other roasts. The rest of the meat and potatoes meals are done fairly well, and are a nice change from the more carefully assembled MDR and speciality meals. 

We don't eat a lot of breakfasts, but the Lido does it as well as any mid level hotel. Lots of choice, and some lighter items like fruits and granolas for those weird left coasters like us. The NY Deli makes a decent egg sandy if you're craving something more like a NYC BEC.

Lunches have been a bit more hit and miss for us in the Lido, but we mostly had it delivered to us in our cabana (so isn't as hot as eating in the Lido, and you're not picking items out yourself).

All in all the food is good enough that I'm looking forward to it in April!

48 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Well, that's a good point. I'm certain the poster must think that there are better lectures on Holland America but nothing presently comes to mind.

Omigosh, I was on a week Caribbean in early December 2022, and loved the multimedia presentations.  The history of HAL. The story of Marconi and radio (which was tactfully done because of his *** sympathies).  The one about Hemingway and Jimmy Buffet.  I am sure I am forgetting one.  Also, on a previous cruise the port lecture about visiting Cartegena was so helpful; for example, he showed a map and indicated where to catch a taxi outside the port gates (cheaper).  And of course Ask The Captain, which is always interesting and not every cruise line does it    

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Naismith said:

Omigosh, I was on a week Caribbean in early December 2022, and loved the multimedia presentations.

We really enjoyed them in November/December too! There was even a future cruises talk, and despite the marketing nature of it we really enjoyed it (and learned about the Viking Voyage we booked for 2024). Add to that the BBC presentations, dance shows, and cover bands, we had a lot of fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Naismith said:

Omigosh, I was on a week Caribbean in early December 2022, and loved the multimedia presentations.  The history of HAL. The story of Marconi and radio (which was tactfully done because of his *** sympathies).  The one about Hemingway and Jimmy Buffet.  I am sure I am forgetting one.  Also, on a previous cruise the port lecture about visiting Cartegena was so helpful; for example, he showed a map and indicated where to catch a taxi outside the port gates (cheaper).  And of course Ask The Captain, which is always interesting and not every cruise line does it    

Can you tell me what ship you were on?   My husband is a Ham and anything radio related would definitely appeal to him.

6 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Breakfast juice and coffee at Lido is so water down they taste almost like plain water. Get a drink package or coffee card if your budget allows it.

We are fine with the surcharge free coffee and OJ.  And Her Majesty enjoys the surcharge free tomato juice also. 

• Like 1

Dinner at the buffet has a few of the same main courses and desserts as the MDR, they just aren't plated as nicely. You should get a wider variety of choices than NCL or even Celebrity for dinner. One drawback however, is that a few of the stations close pretty early like around 8:30 PM. If you're an early diner, shouldn't be a problem but if you eat late like most Europeans, the MDR is a better bet. 

My DH who usually loves breakfast in the dining room actually preferred the lido for piping hot omelets (and all egg dishes made to order).  We both found selection and quality for breakfast and lunch quite good and look forward to trying things on our next cruise that we couldn't fit in on 7 day on the NS.  We did not eat a dinner at the lido just because we like the sit down in the dining room so can't comment on that. 

• Like 2

We have dinner most nights in Lido.  DW likes to eat early and I like 'medium to late', so we go early and I will nibble a starter (or two) with a glass of wine (or three) and DW will be selecting her desert by the time I am meandering up to select my mains.  

We find it suits our different eating requirements very well and much better that MDR service for us.

• Thanks 1

Watered down orange juice at the Lido problem is solved by taking one of the many available fresh oranges, and peeling it. A daily ritual for us - and an in-room snack we always keep on hand.  

More fiber and fresher nutrients are the additional benefits of this easy substitution. Plenty of online tutorials about the best and least messy way to efficiently peel an orange. 

• Like 5