Buffet dining on HAL

cruiseagona

HAL does a very good lido buffet in our experience; however, as others have noted, closing from 8:30pm to, I think, 10:30pm is a very relevant drawback.  We eat early, and on other cruise lines we are able to meander to the lido for a snack or desert around 9.  We don't grab anything big, and frequently only one of us will grab anything at all; but it is something we have always taken for granted in terms of an option.  But its not an option on HAL.  It closes between lunch and dinner too, but that has never really been an issue for us. 

The lido food quality on HAL has always satisfied us.  Tasty and fresh.  Variety is good.  We always eat dinner in the MDR, so cant provide much insight for the dinner buffet, but I have assumed it was similar to lunch.  I don't usually eat breakfast, but I have a few times in a HAL buffet, and I would say that it is pretty much the same as most other cruise line breakfast buffets.  I like eggs Benedict when I do get breakfast, and they have a station with a worker poaching eggs in a big pot, and making eggs Benedict, and Florentine.  I'm good with that, except I hate waiting.  I wish they also had a ready to grab egg Benedict option.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pedirn said:

Can you tell me what ship you were on?   My husband is a Ham and anything radio related would definitely appeal to him.

There are a set of multimedia presentations usually done by the Cruise Director (or whatever that position is called today!).  I am pretty sure they are on all the Pinnacle ships (haven't been on the other classes since they started), but they might not do each one on each cruise.  Just luck of the draw (though I feel like they do the HAL history one on every cruise!).

Mark

19 minutes ago, brovol said:

HAL does a very good lido buffet in our experience; however, as others have noted, closing from 8:30pm to, I think, 10:30pm is a very relevant drawback.  We eat early, and on other cruise lines we are able to meander to the lido for a snack or desert around 9.  We don't grab anything big, and frequently only one of us will grab anything at all; but it is something we have always taken for granted in terms of an option.  But its not an option on HAL.  It closes between lunch and dinner too, but that has never really been an issue for us. 

The lido food quality on HAL has always satisfied us.  Tasty and fresh.  Variety is good.  We always eat dinner in the MDR, so cant provide much insight for the dinner buffet, but I have assumed it was similar to lunch.  I don't usually eat breakfast, but I have a few times in a HAL buffet, and I would say that it is pretty much the same as most other cruise line breakfast buffets.  I like eggs Benedict when I do get breakfast, and they have a station with a worker poaching eggs in a big pot, and making eggs Benedict, and Florentine.  I'm good with that, except I hate waiting.  I wish they also had a ready to grab egg Benedict option.

Wait for the eggs Benedict. Cunard puts them out to grab and go. Trust me, wait for something freshly made.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, fusion927 said:

There are a set of multimedia presentations usually done by the Cruise Director (or whatever that position is called today!).  I am pretty sure they are on all the Pinnacle ships (haven't been on the other classes since they started), but they might not do each one on each cruise.  Just luck of the draw (though I feel like they do the HAL history one on every cruise!).

Mark

The only "multimedia programs on Eurodam were the history of HAL program and the BBC Earth videos. Because it was a Panama Canal cruise, there were documentaries about the canal shown on a few afternoons.

In addition to Ask the Captain, the CD did interviews with performers--Step One dancers, Lincoln Center, Billboard duo, etc. It gave a nice glimpse into life as an entertainer on board. When she asked the dancers what they missed from being at home, one of them said "Just getting in a car and driving around." 

13 hours ago, pedirn said:

Can you tell me what ship you were on?   My husband is a Ham and anything radio related would definitely appeal to him.

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the Marconi & radio talk, but this was one of the multimedia presentations that is hosted by the cruise director, but with packaged graphics and music.  I think they are on many/all the ships.  Also, I think Marconi may have been added to the line-up when the wind was too high in Jamaica and we had a sudden Sea Day--at least, I clearly remember it being a daytime event on a Sea Day, because I ordered lunch from Dive-In with the app during the last few minutes of the show.  

7 hours ago, brovol said:

HAL does a very good lido buffet in our experience; however, as others have noted, closing from 8:30pm to, I think, 10:30pm is a very relevant drawback. 

This is about the only think we don’t like about HAL. Sometimes, I need a little 9pm munchie. But we eat dinner really early, even at home it’s like 5pm. 

On 2/27/2023 at 5:25 PM, Crew News said:

Bread pudding on the Rotterdam is not hidden but can be found among the bread at the Bread Station, not with desserts.

Good to know!  I'll be on her for 26 nights beginning April 3.  I would've been looking for the bread pudding in the dessert section.  I like to do my own "afternoon tea" with a nice, strong cup of PGTips and some bread pudding.  Usually holds me over until dinner.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Good to know!  I'll be on her for 26 nights beginning April 3.  I would've been looking for the bread pudding in the dessert section.  I like to do my own "afternoon tea" with a nice, strong cup of PGTips and some bread pudding.  Usually holds me over until dinner.

The Konigsdam had a wall of various one-brand teas at the Lido, but did not see the beloved box of PG Tips. So maybe you might want to pack in your own just to be on the safe side.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, aaaaa said:

Is there any outdoor seating for Lido guests?

Most all of our lido buffet meals are eaten outside along the tables on the starboard side of the lido pool area.  There are also a few tables on the port side of the lido pool (near the lido bar and the 24/7 coke kiosk) and in the center area near the stairway that goes up to NY Pizza.

We rarely eat inside. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, aaaaa said:

Is there any outdoor seating for Lido guests?

Yes, by the main pool too and tables also on the upper decks around the pool in Pinnacle class ships too where other food options are also available. No restrictions these outdoor tables are reserved only for the other food service customers located near by- Dive in, NY Deli, Lido Bar......

17 hours ago, rubytue said:

This is about the only think we don’t like about HAL. Sometimes, I need a little 9pm munchie. But we eat dinner really early, even at home it’s like 5pm. 

We always bring some cookies or dessert back to the room for later 🙂

Sometimes you can grab a bag of popcorn if movies are being shown, or grab a bag of potato chips from the Lido at lunchtime and save for later...

Edited by Love the beach
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

The Konigsdam had a wall of various one-brand teas at the Lido, but did not see the beloved box of PG Tips. So maybe you might want to pack in your own just to be on the safe side.

On Eurodam, it was Bigelow. I drink black tea and theirs are dreadful. The Lido did have PG Tips, but they were tagless bags stuffed into a glass container with a lid. Easy to overlook. Some people I saw didn't seem to know what they were. The coffee/bar up in the space-formerly-known-as-the-crow's-nest had Tazo, but that wasn't free. 

Oh for the days of HAL's own brand Darjeeling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Oh for the days of HAL's own brand Darjeeling. 

Yes, that house brand Darjeeling was lovely. Wonder why they stopped offering it. But my real favorite at the afternoon tea was Sumatra Coffee when they did the Indonesian Teas.

Coffee at 3pm Tea? It was a delicious treat.

Lido for us. Best ‘Build your own sandwiches’, great Omelet Bar, BreadPudding w/Raisin sauce etc. After 100’s of HAL days we have gravitated to the Lido. No waiting, hot food, eat only what you want and all on your timetable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Lido for us. Best ‘Build your own sandwiches’, great Omelet Bar, BreadPudding w/Raisin sauce etc. After 100’s of HAL days we have gravitated to the Lido. No waiting, hot food, eat only what you want and all on your timetable. 

I only saw premade sandwiches. Where are the build your own?

1 hour ago, Anne614 said:

I only saw premade sandwiches. Where are the build your own?

On Rotterdam and Nieuw Amsterdam last fall the person behind the counter in the area by the premade sandwiches would make one for you from a small selection of meats and cheeses and the bread or roll you selected.  I also got meat from the carving station (turkey, roast beef, etc.) a few times and a roll and made a sandwich from that.  I don't like the premade sandwiches because they usually have something on them I don't want and not enough filling!

~Nancy

• Like 3

I know what PGTips bags look like but expect many folks do not.  I don't drink it year round.  I "save" mine for tax season when I need a little extra boost.  Like this morning!

I do hope HAL also still brews it for their afternoon tea.  I was So Happy when I discovered that they were using PGTips there (I asked on Eurodam 11/21, NA 12/21 & Zuidy 6/22).  Fingers crossed that Rotterdam will be the same (for those days I don't want a do-it-yourself afternoon tea w/bread pudding).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

On Rotterdam and Nieuw Amsterdam last fall the person behind the counter in the area by the premade sandwiches would make one for you from a small selection of meats and cheeses and the bread or roll you selected. 

This has been available on all my cruises, most recently in January/February on Eurodam. Make your own sandwiches are not well publicized. I've found that on HAL ships, if you ask, the crew will do every thing possible to accommodate your request.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I do hope HAL also still brews it for their afternoon tea.  I was So Happy when I discovered that they were using PGTips there (I asked on Eurodam 11/21, NA 12/21 & Zuidy 6/22).  Fingers crossed that Rotterdam will be the same (for those days I don't want a do-it-yourself afternoon tea w/bread pudding).

Went to one Afternoon Tea on the Konigsdam over the holidays and indeed they offered brewed tea, it was delicious, so I guess you are right, they might still using PG Tips.