UK passport for Mexico cruise

ryunisa

I’ve just notice that daughters UK passport is just shy of six months validity. We cruise on the 1st April and her passport expires on the 28 September. How strict will Princess be on the 6 months rules on passport?

Thanks

Be careful as it’s not the expiry date , it’s the issue date you have to watch . We had to get new passports as the expiry date was December but the issue date was June for our cruise next month . So it wouldn’t have given us 6 months . 

How long is your cruise?  The passport requirement actually states that the passport be valid 6 months from the END of your travel which may push the date further out than you thought and it may be less likely that they allow it.  Like others have said you need to check with Princess.  I would also be filing for an expedited passport in the meantime.  I don’t know UK systems though.

Many countries require passports be valid for six months after the completion of your travel. Check your passport to verify it will be valid for this period of time. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Whitla42 said:

Be careful as it’s not the expiry date , it’s the issue date you have to watch . We had to get new passports as the expiry date was December but the issue date was June for our cruise next month . So it wouldn’t have given us 6 months . 

This makes no sense. Issue date would have been 4-10 years ago. US passport? Or is is a renewal that is only valid 10 years from issue and they have a bogus expiration date?

11 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

This makes no sense. Issue date would have been 4-10 years ago. US passport? Or is is a renewal that is only valid 10 years from issue and they have a bogus expiration date?

OP is from the UK.

In the past you could roll over unused time when you renewed your UK passport,  but you can no longer do this. However there are passports  out there that are seemingly valid for, say, 10 years 5 months.

But, the final 5 months is not accepted by many countries,  only the 10 years from the date of issue of the passport.

Hope that is as clear as mud !

• Like 1

Check your passport and travel documents before you travel

You should check with your travel provider to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Passport validity

If you are visiting Mexico, your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay in Mexico.

Visas

If you’re visiting Mexico as a tourist you don’t need a visa. You’ll receive a stamp in your passport with the number of days that you are allowed to stay. If you require a digital version, you can obtain it here Portal de Servicios INM, or online in advance from the National Institute of Immigration website. Due to the requirements of the online system, the advance option is only possible if your passport is valid for at least 6 months from your intended date of entry to Mexico.

From the UK state dept. I would be more worried about the airline letting you on the plane if flying from the UK. They may enforce the 6 month rule out of caution.

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Or is is a renewal that is only valid 10 years from issue and they have a bogus expiration date?

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But, the final 5 months is not accepted by many countries,  only the 10 years from the date of issue of the passport.

Hope that is as clear as mud !

Thanks, yes that clears it up. I think the US did away with that extra time years ago because of that. Or it will be clearer after a few more wines🤪

Thanks for all the responses. I’ve checked that it is fine to fly over the US with less than 6 months on passport and Mexico it would of be fine too if flying over too and then it suddenly dawned on me whether Princess would let as board. Finally manage to get hold of Princess and they have confirmed that passport needs 6months after the end of travel.

Booked in for passport renewal this coming Monday so hopefully still plenty of time to get ESTA.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ryunisa said:

Thanks for all the responses. I’ve checked that it is fine to fly over the US with less than 6 months on passport and Mexico it would of be fine too if flying over too and then it suddenly dawned on me whether Princess would let as board. Finally manage to get hold of Princess and they have confirmed that passport needs 6months after the end of travel.

Booked in for passport renewal this coming Monday so hopefully still plenty of time to get ESTA.

I really hope you get sorted. 

11 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Check your passport and travel documents before you travel

You should check with your travel provider to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Passport validity

If you are visiting Mexico, your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay in Mexico.

Visas

If you’re visiting Mexico as a tourist you don’t need a visa. You’ll receive a stamp in your passport with the number of days that you are allowed to stay. If you require a digital version, you can obtain it here Portal de Servicios INM, or online in advance from the National Institute of Immigration website. Due to the requirements of the online system, the advance option is only possible if your passport is valid for at least 6 months from your intended date of entry to Mexico.

From the UK state dept. I would be more worried about the airline letting you on the plane if flying from the UK. They may enforce the 6 month rule out of caution.

There is no such thing as the UK state dept.

9 hours ago, brisalta said:

There is no such thing as the UK state dept.

Yeah, it is actually called Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development office. I guess I should have said from UK's version of a state dept. Either way, it is UK's governmental entity that handles passports and foreign travel.