Live from the Crown Princess–r/t LA-Hawai’i–March 2-17, 2023

travelin.sisters

Sea Day~March 4

Wrap Up & Random Thoughts

Sometime during the day (I don't remember actually when), I called to see about my sister getting Elite canapes for Formal Night & afternoon tea for the day after. They asked a few questions about what type of tea she wanted & said they would send the canape request form to be returned to the room steward…I forgot to take a photo of the order form before we returned but we filled it out & hung it on the door knob before we went to bed. 

The last thing for the day was to watch the Wake Show (I am glad they gave up the pretense that it is actually filmed the morning of & are now posting it earlier the evening before…gives me an idea of the next day). I have mixed feelings about the new cruise director, Olivia (who I have only seen on the Wake Show & introducing productions). I like that she is not as over-the-top energetic/loud as some, but her corny jokes get a little silly. I do like the Crown’s wake shows, they are longer than the last ship I was on & has actual useful info about the next day & this cruise rather than just the corporate prepackaged stuff & spa, Effy & art sales ‘commercials.'

While on the TV, I discovered that Tiki Dave’s destination lectures were available but the other enrichment talks were not (yay & boo).

For me, every cruise has a different feel. Some are very active trying to get to all the offerings, others are more laid back, some we do every port, or we may mostly stay on the ship. Our last cruise, we weren't interested in most of the ports & my sissy decided she wanted to collect all the charms for the Effy charm bracelet, so we planned our days around that activity. One (of many) advantage of the Hawai’i itinerary is that even if you board exhausted &/or frazzled, you have 4 days at sea to relax & recover before the islands where you might run for 4 days.

This cruise I have really needed these sea days of doing not much to be ready for the islands. I have not done much other than Hawai’ian crafts, ‘ukulele & relaxing. Oh & eating…there is always lots of eating on any cruise. I know some people feel a cruise is a waste if you don’t fill every minute with all the activities you can, but that is the great thing about cruising there is no ‘right’ way to do it…it can be what each of us want/need it to be. 

As always on a cruise, I have met a number of lovely people & even have a new, little group of crafting friends to crochet with. Unlike some cruises, I have met very few angry, complaint-filled people which is nice. 

…& that’s a wrap for our second sea day. & so, for now, I will say to you a hui hou.

List of my posts in this LIVE: 

• Introduction~post 1

• Pre-cruise: packing~post 10

• Pre-cruise:  booking & trip prep~post 29

• Pre-cruise: last day stuff & weather~ post 43

• Embarkation Day~March 2: good morning, looking forward to boarding~post 67

• Embarkation. Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Star (19), Sky (18) & Sport (17) decks aft~post 69

• Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Sun Deck (16) with Sports & Sky Decks midship & forward~post 70

• Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Lido Deck (15)~post 75

• Embarkation Day~March 2: back to the cabin~Aloha Deck (12)~post 78

• Embarkation Day~March 2:  the papers & the patter~post 89

• Embarkation Day~March 2: DaVinci dinner~post 104

• Embarkation Day~March 2: wrap up & random thoughts~post 114

• Sea Day~March 3: good (very early) morning~post 142

• Sea Day~March 3: patter, weather, progress & photo of the day~post 147

• Sea Day~March 3: mid-morning adventures~post 148

• Sea Day~March 3: lunch & a (mostly) lazy afternoon~post 149

• Sea Day~March 3: DaVinci dinner~post 150

• Sea Day~March 3: wrap up & random thoughts~post 151

• Sea Day~March 4: a (not so early) morning & DaVinci breakfast~post 167

• Sea Day~March 4 buffet lunch & afternoon adventures~post 172

• Sea Day~March 4: patter, weather, progress & photo of the day~post 173

• Sea Day~March 4: DaVinci dinner & evening~post 175

• Like 9

1 hour ago, travelin.sisters said:

the captain just announced after we were tied up & tenders were launched that we will not be going ashore in Lahaina

Darn, about Maui. I think it is frequently missed. Too much wind/swells? I believe a friend of mine missed it at the end of January ,same ship

• Like 2

Just now, arizonaperson said:

Darn, about Maui. I think it is frequently missed. Too much wind/swells? I believe a friend of mine missed it at the end of January ,same ship

swells are too bad for the tender operations...it might be my favorite port, but that's cruising

10 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

swells are too bad for the tender operations...it might be my favorite port, but that's cruising

So you missed two out of the four Hawaii ports. 
I am hoping for better next month, but safety first, of course. 

Do you have an idea of how many first time Hawaii cruisers are onboard? 
it. Ours will be our first, and probably last cruise there, as we just wanted to try it out to see how we like that many sea days in a row. 

2 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

the captain just announced after we were tied up & tenders were launched that we will not be going ashore in Lahaina

It’s been a tough winter for us west coast cruisers.   We have missed a port on all of my recent cruises (including Maui a month ago). 

1 hour ago, travelin.sisters said:

Are you enjoying your modified shower fixture?  I sure hope they will change mine out next week on our 28 day Crown cruise.  Any pictures of it yet?  Thanks

1 hour ago, Jemnibabe said:

Are you enjoying your modified shower fixture?  I sure hope they will change mine out next week on our 28 day Crown cruise.  Any pictures of it yet?  Thanks

We're on that cruise as well and also requested the hand held shower head, we'll see soon. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yogamom said:

Could you please tell me the costs of the internet packages onboard?  I understand they have removed 'minutes' from the 'perks' and now offer 50% discount on the internet packages.

Would appreciate if you could advise or post a picture of the internet packages available.

Thanking you in advance.

Internet is $15/day for one device & $40/day for 4 device plan. If you have Elite or Platinum status then you get a 50% discount so then it’s $7.50/day for one device & $20/day for 4 device plan.

2 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

Internet is $15/day for one device & $40/day for 4 device plan. If you have Elite or Platinum status then you get a 50% discount so then it’s $7.50/day for one device & $20/day for 4 device plan.

Thanks for the information.  Just curious if you have to buy the plan everyday or can you just choose to purchase on sea days?  Thanks again

Just now, yogamom said:

Thanks for the information.  Just curious if you have to buy the plan everyday or can you just choose to purchase on sea days?  Thanks again

If you are able to buy it for one day, I believe the cost is 20.00. Some people have reported they have done it, just to be able to check into flights on disembarkation. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

can someone explain the effy charm bracelets?

The Effy store staff  would stand outside the theatre and hand out small charms, and necklaces. People collected them and there were a lot of them. You could cram into their store and listen to their sales speech and collect them there, too. I think it also formed part of the scavenger hunt, on embarkation day. 
I understand the program ended at the end of February. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204202772598

Edited by Happiest when cruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, yogamom said:

I’m not sure. We cruised in November and February and I didn’t see an option to purchase it internet for a day at a time. The app only gave me the option to purchase it for the duration of the cruise. Perhaps if you visited the Internet  Cafe on the ship you could purchase one day at a time but again I’m not sure if this option is available.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

The Effy store staff  would stand outside the theatre and hand out small charms, and necklaces. People collected them and there were a lot of them. You could cram into their store and listen to their sales speech and collect them there, too. I think it also formed part of the scavenger hunt, on embarkation day. 
I understand the program ended at the end of February. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204202772598

Really E-Bay for $59.99?  That's ridiculous.  Worth maybe $5.00 total.

• Haha 1

Hi Travelin Sisters!  I am enjoying your thread a lot!

Question for you.  There are people on the Sapphire who posted that Elite passengers are given L’Occitane shampoo and conditioner products in their cabins.  I am on the 28 day cruise that leaves when you get back to LA and am curious if these products are provided in Elite passenger cabins.

Thanks!

Just now, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey travelin sisters, have you tried the dirty bananas? Its a drink an really tasty!! Also, have you tried the after dinner drinks, an if so please take some pictures, also of the dirty banana?

Oh, by the way, you ain't missen much here, its rainin!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

All Elite's are receiving on the Sapphire?  Are you in a full suite?

I’m not on the Sapphire. I posted a photo that an Elite passenger posted on the Live thread for the current sailing. According to the cabin steward these are being given to Elite passengers on the Sapphire. I’m thinking they still had a supply of these available on the Sapphire and will give them to Elites on the Sapphire until they run out. I don’t think they are giving them out on other ships. We only got them once and it was on the Majestic in August 2021 just after cruising resumed. After that there was “nada”.

• Like 1