Seabourn has a new President

margbem

Breaking news, Seabourn has a new President…

Carnival Corporation-owned luxury cruise line Seabourn has announced Natalya Leahy is to take over from Josh Leibowitz as president.
Leahy has spent seven years with Holland America Group, most recently as chief operating officer including operational oversight of Seabourn, sister lines Princess Cruises, Holland America Line and P&O Australia, and land operations.
Leibowitz is to leave “to pursue new opportunities” the company confirmed in a statement, adding that Leahy would report to Holland America Line president Gus Antorcha “as part of a structure to build on the benefit of shared services”.
Antorcha said: “Seabourn has earned a top position in the luxury and expedition cruising space, and Natalya’s expertise, background and proven track record in delivering results is ideal to build on that success.
“With her leadership and the introduction later this year of our second purpose-built expedition ship, Seabourn Pursuit, I am confident in the future growth of Seabourn.”
He added: “Josh’s leadership in navigating the [pandemic] pause and return to service proved valuable for Seabourn’s future.
“We appreciate his contributions and wish him well. This business has a bright future with the best in all-inclusive, luxury cruising and now expedition voyages. I look forward to seeing Natalya bring her passion and talent to Seabourn’s success.”
Leahy said: “It’s an honour to join the extraordinary Seabourn team and partners who take personal pride in curating transformative, enriching, one-of-a-kind Seabourn moments.
“We have built unmatched luxury experiences at sea that provide life expanding moments for our guests. I am excited to support and work with our trade partners as we continue to surprise and delight our guests in ways they would never imagine.”
Prior to joining the cruise industry, Leahy held leadership roles with Procter & Gamble and Coca-Cola.

Just disembarked the Ovation on Saturday after two weeks on board. Never heard as many people complaining. It got quite depressing. I keep meaning to write about our cruise but it might end up just being a list of disappointments.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry that your Ovation cruise was disappointing but I'm of the opinion that it's good to know both the good and the bad, especially if there's a pattern appearing across the fleet.

Thanks for the update about the change of leadership. Interesting development.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, margbem said:

Carnival Corporation-owned luxury cruise line Seabourn has announced Natalya Leahy is to take over from Josh Leibowitz as president.
Leahy has spent seven years with Holland America Group, most recently as chief operating officer including operational oversight of Seabourn, sister lines Princess Cruises, Holland America Line and P&O Australia, and land operations.
Leibowitz is to leave “to pursue new opportunities” the company confirmed in a statement, adding that Leahy would report to Holland America Line president Gus Antorcha “as part of a structure to build on the benefit of shared services”.
Antorcha said: “Seabourn has earned a top position in the luxury and expedition cruising space, and Natalya’s expertise, background and proven track record in delivering results is ideal to build on that success.
“With her leadership and the introduction later this year of our second purpose-built expedition ship, Seabourn Pursuit, I am confident in the future growth of Seabourn.”
He added: “Josh’s leadership in navigating the [pandemic] pause and return to service proved valuable for Seabourn’s future.
“We appreciate his contributions and wish him well. This business has a bright future with the best in all-inclusive, luxury cruising and now expedition voyages. I look forward to seeing Natalya bring her passion and talent to Seabourn’s success.”
Leahy said: “It’s an honour to join the extraordinary Seabourn team and partners who take personal pride in curating transformative, enriching, one-of-a-kind Seabourn moments.
“We have built unmatched luxury experiences at sea that provide life expanding moments for our guests. I am excited to support and work with our trade partners as we continue to surprise and delight our guests in ways they would never imagine.”
Prior to joining the cruise industry, Leahy held leadership roles with Procter & Gamble and Coca-Cola.

Just disembarked the Ovation on Saturday after two weeks on board. Never heard as many people complaining. It got quite depressing. I keep meaning to write about our cruise but it might end up just being a list of disappointments.

Thanks for sharing and if you have time I would like to hear your opinion as you always try to give a balanced view and that will serve as a guide to how things might really be 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

Thanks for sharing and if you have time I would like to hear your opinion as you always try to give a balanced view and that will serve as a guide to how things might really be 

I keep noting things down as I remember them so will try and put it all together in the next few days. Of course, as always on Seabourn, we met some wonderful people and made new friends with whom we will keep in touch.

• Like 1

Her Board Resume is posted on her LinkedIn profile … very accomplished. Can only hope she is sensitive to the evident discrepancy in shore and sea operations. Although I get the economies gained of sharing services with HAL it still annoys this position reports through HAL president. Maybe she will be the firecracker that will stand out.

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

Good.  Maybe this one will make things better. There is no customer service from HQ and it trickles down to the ships. 

Our very first cruise was with Seabourn 11 years ago and we were bowled over by the quality of the customer service; 2 further cruises with them but nothing since 2017 until we join Ovation in the summer so yes please margbem - I would like to hear the good, bad and ugly.

Referring to post above - Does anyone from Seabourn actually respond to emails sent to guest relations? It is a month since I was promised by the UK branch that they would get someone to contact me and 2 weeks since I emailed guest relations to complain nothing had happened. Before I send a snotty email 😜 have I sent it to the right department email address?

guestrelations@seabourn.com

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, margbem said:

Strange. There have been countless “live from” posts on Seabourn Sailors from Ovation the past 4 weeks and most were very positive. Maybe there’s 2 Ovations. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Sure reads like Josh was asked to leave. And his replaced is being layered down deeper into Holland America Line. She’s a long term HAL veteran too. Shame.

Wow, you consider 7/8 years long term? 
That's not even getting your feet wet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Josh was a bean counter obviously what his tenure brought. Hopefully new leadership will restore Seabourn to what we knew it to be.

Sadly, a Holland America insider is not what Seabourn needs.  I am afraid SB will lose even more of its special touches as it transitions to a small ship version of HA.  Hopefully I am proven wrong but time will tell.  

7 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Strange. There have been countless “live from” posts on Seabourn Sailors from Ovation the past 4 weeks and most were very positive. Maybe there’s 2 Ovations. 

Yes one on these boards and another one at sea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texanaust said:

Sadly, a Holland America insider is not what Seabourn needs.  I am afraid SB will lose even more of its special touches as it transitions to a small ship version of HA.  Hopefully I am proven wrong but time will tell.  

The important stuff happens at sea thankfully.

The land based stuff is just stuff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texanaust said:

They could use more of their 'sea' staff like Handre at Corporate HQ making decisions.  

Handre is indeed land based and in charge of Entertainment and talent booking at corporate HQ

He regularly visits all of the ships now.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Yes the important stuff happens at sea, but the  spate of Seattle emanating initiatives  post resumption have tied the ships hands. A whole raft of so called cost savings including not heating the pool and reducing  food and drink stock levels are certainly being noticed by regular sailors.

If the outgoing President was responsible for these then its a good call, if on the other hand he was pushing back on HAL/Carnival  pressure and has paid the price then I am sorry.

We have abandoned Seabourn after three disappointing cruises post lockdown.

We, like others, enjoy the ambience on board and may return if the new leadership starts to make a positive impact.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, adoctor said:

Yes the important stuff happens at sea, but the  spate of Seattle emanating initiatives  post resumption have tied the ships hands. A whole raft of so called cost savings including not heating the pool and reducing  food and drink stock levels are certainly being noticed by regular sailors.

If the outgoing President was responsible for these then its a good call, if on the other hand he was pushing back on HAL/Carnival  pressure and has paid the price then I am sorry.

We have abandoned Seabourn after three disappointing cruises post lockdown.

We, like others, enjoy the ambience on board and may return if the new leadership starts to make a positive impact.

I'll let you know if I see anything that changes.

8 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Handre is indeed land based and in charge of Entertainment and talent booking at corporate HQ

He regularly visits all of the ships now.

Yes, I know.  I was on Encore last summer while he was organising the Jonathan Antoine concert.  We need a few HD's moving over to Corporate too. 

Josh spending a week onboard with his family was a start, but I doubt he truly understood what makes Seabourn so special to its long time repeat passengers.  Only someone that has spent years onboard the ships would have that qualification.

• Like 2

Yes,I was at that concert.

I'm not sure how much a President of Seabourn will ever get to go on the ships.

I think to some degree they will all have to toe the HAL line and Seabourn will not have its own unique style as gradually things get diluted and morph into the HAL corporate identity.

The crew on the ships know what we want that is those that have not left to join Viking,Windstar,Scenic and the like.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:07 PM, margbem said:

The last 7 years were the worst for Holland America, and we had one from Coca Cola in charge at Hal (Orlando), he ruined the line..