Muse Alaska Recommendations?

wanderingnsw

Hello All, 

I'm heading on my first cruise this summer and will be sailing on the Muse to Alaska. I just finished my booking today and I'm starting to look over excursions and food. What are your thoughts? Are there any excursions that are 'must dos'? Note: I'm traveling with my husband and my 5-year-old daughter. We are young(ish) and  fit(ish), but the kid can't do any big hikes.

What about restaurants? I know literally nothing and the descriptions on the SilverSea site aren't exactly helpful. We are super adventurous eaters (including the kid...she's also great anywhere, goes to Michelin star restaurants with us) so are fine with any cuisine, but I just wasn't sure if there are places that are better than others. 

Thank you all! Looking forward to this new experience!

Welcome to the SS forum.

I’d recommend getting yourself one of these phenomenal child carrier backpacks.  This way your kid can do any hike.  And, Alaska has great hikes at every port.

D4B1BAF0-F54B-4B36-9C66-934104D8D93F.thumb.jpeg.a601094530b5d307a7aed4cf2de0a9a6.jpeg

Be sure to hike the Chilkoot Pass trail.  A truly historic hike.

910DB9E3-F66D-4B50-8BE1-5857864AA8D3.thumb.jpeg.a9bc88f5bd4e494d05924b20a0385e7e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, saminina said:

Before suggesting this contraption did you read the part that the five year old daughter does not do big hikes?  Did you look at the weight capacity this blue thing can handle?  

Of course, Saminina.  Hence why the suggestion was made.  The pre-schooler doesn’t “have” to hike, but rather, gets to be “carried” on the hike.  Greatest backpack ever made for active young parents.

Now, what helpful advice do you have to offer our new forum participant for their first ever cruise on Silversea?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just off 16 days on Muse in Asia - loved it and loved the dining options 

One favourite we quickly developed was Indochine - great menu options and we love Indian and Thai curries so the range they offered was a real bonus 

Things your 5 year old might like include the pizzeria and The Grill and Hot Rocks poolside - who doesn’t like food sizzling in front of them while it’s cooking. Food is so subjective but I think you’re in for a treat and you certainly won’t be disappointed 

Our group has booked a Tokyo to Vancouver cruise for next year and we’re all long forward to our time on Silver Muse

• Like 1

Another vote for Indochine from me, though maybe not for a 5 YO, but I’m sure you can order anything from the 24 hour menu like burgers and steaks to eat there too, so useful to take into account.

The pizzas really are superb. Don’t miss them!

For Breakfast and Lunch I suspect La Terrazza will be your firm favourite, though the pool deck is good also at lunch.

None of those suggestions above require booking, though La Terrazza will for the evening and seated on the balcony is certainly my go to on all SS ships which I’m certain you will all enjoy.

Obviously there are many choices, these are ones I especially think you will enjoy with a youngster.

Excursions are subjective, so suggest you read the info listed, use google for further reading if needed and remember to book ASAP as they “sell out” quickly for the popular ones.

Booking any restaurants or excursions are without penalty, so if you change your mind (up to 24 hours beforehand I believe, there will be no charge (unless it states otherwise!)

The only downside for you I guess will be that SS is not geared for kids, so no slides and fun stuff like that. Boredom may set it on sea days and whilst there no doubt will be other parents with kids you could hook up with (should you want to), it’s not a given though. I’ve certainly sailed where I’ve seen no kids on the ship.

I’m sure you will have a fab time. I thoroughly enjoyed Silver Muse and looking forward to sailing again in 7 weeks for Japan and Alaska.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

One favourite we quickly developed was Indochine - great menu options and we love Indian and Thai curries so the range they offered was a real bonus 

Things your 5 year old might like include the pizzeria and The Grill and Hot Rocks poolside - who doesn’t like food sizzling in front of them while it’s cooking. Food is so subjective but I think you’re in for a treat and you certainly won’t be disappointed 

Our group has booked a Tokyo to Vancouver cruise for next year and we’re all long forward to our time on Silver Muse

Sounds great but I'm sure you can't wait to get on NC for the dance hosts 😁

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, wanderingnsw said:

Hello All, 

I'm heading on my first cruise this summer and will be sailing on the Muse to Alaska. I just finished my booking today and I'm starting to look over excursions and food. What are your thoughts? Are there any excursions that are 'must dos'? Note: I'm traveling with my husband and my 5-year-old daughter. We are young(ish) and  fit(ish), but the kid can't do any big hikes.

What about restaurants? I know literally nothing and the descriptions on the SilverSea site aren't exactly helpful. We are super adventurous eaters (including the kid...she's also great anywhere, goes to Michelin star restaurants with us) so are fine with any cuisine, but I just wasn't sure if there are places that are better than others. 

Thank you all! Looking forward to this new experience!

I Did this food video on our Muse cruise through Alaska June 19. It seems like most of it is still current. Although food is always subjective, we found the choice and quality to be superb. Have a wonderful time. 

• Like 2

Brings back memories of my favorite meal on Alaskan Muse last year.  A grilled cheese sandwich on pool deck during a blustery afternoon.  Hotel manager delivered a great winter jacket that I've been wearing this week for first time since that day.  Went back following day to see if they could duplicate the grilled cheese sandwich......did not happen.

When reading the OP, very much fits description of a very nice couple + charming  daughter met on a SS ship many years ago.   Not all five year olds fit into profile of the masses.  A few would even be critical of the pizza some on here rave about.

Edited by saminina
  • Like 1

We once took care of friends' 5 year old  boy (we had a 6 yr old), as parents had family emergency and had to go out of town.  They told us he ONLY ate PB&J with apple juice, and pasta butter & cheese.  Nothing else.  (No food allergies.)  We of course thought "forget that noise".  By end of the week he had eaten (copiously) steamed clams, roast chicken, grilled tuna, salads, guacamole, curry, granola, fruit salad, everything BUT the two things he "only ate".  When parents got him back, they called next day, asking "What did you DO to him?"  We said, "he got hungry, we fed him".  I always think of that, when I hear parents dancing around what to feed the little dears!  Given the special nature of being on a cool cruise ship, out on the water and the fresh air, with a whole crew of professional chefs - it is a GREAT time to introduce your child to a whole 'nother world of good food, from many cultural traditions.  Enjoy the trip!    

20 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Thanks! My daughter's favorite is Thai (the spicier the better!), so we will for sure make a reservation there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

We once took care of friends' 5 year old  boy (we had a 6 yr old), as parents had family emergency and had to go out of town.  They told us he ONLY ate PB&J with apple juice, and pasta butter & cheese.  Nothing else.  (No food allergies.)  We of course thought "forget that noise".  By end of the week he had eaten (copiously) steamed clams, roast chicken, grilled tuna, salads, guacamole, curry, granola, fruit salad, everything BUT the two things he "only ate".  When parents got him back, they called next day, asking "What did you DO to him?"  We said, "he got hungry, we fed him".  I always think of that, when I hear parents dancing around what to feed the little dears!  Given the special nature of being on a cool cruise ship, out on the water and the fresh air, with a whole crew of professional chefs - it is a GREAT time to introduce your child to a whole 'nother world of good food, from many cultural traditions.  Enjoy the trip!    

Love this. We said the same thing about my kid when she was born. She likes pizza (who doesn't?), but her favorites include spicy tofu, sushi, and bahn mi. We just take her where we go (it's easy because we have a 2-to-1 ratio) and she eats whatever. 

2 minutes ago, wanderingnsw said:

She likes pizza (who doesn't?), but her favorites include spicy tofu, sushi, and bahn mi

Spacanapoli is no ordinary pizza joint - great selection of toppings to choose from and great crust - genuine Italian pizza chefs too 😂😂😂

6D075920-96E8-4C97-8366-5DF86DB88704.thumb.jpeg.2a8fd936f68fff7225dc7aa526b0010a.jpeg

27E0FEEE-C0E3-4435-933B-BB1B670242AE.thumb.jpeg.015ad09b52911b9105053426365c9a5b.jpeg

333B162A-45BB-4694-9F99-424E7924D23E.thumb.jpeg.ba0061ec7df9ab80ddc9b08928b285c5.jpeg

5BDAE2D1-B009-4B70-8D19-679128C1ECDC.thumb.jpeg.5079d642ee68e53886b31ebcd25dbcec.jpeg

Also try Kaiseki for lunch - great Sushi and Sashimi - and no cover charge at lunchtime 

CF85DD96-0D90-429D-88E9-E25028AADE4E.thumb.jpeg.920a5a49cb1360bbab3d16863a2ede65.jpeg

At Indochine if you like it spicy just let them know and they can liven things up 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Spacanapoli is no ordinary pizza joint - great selection of toppings to choose from and great crust - genuine Italian pizza chefs too 😂😂😂

6D075920-96E8-4C97-8366-5DF86DB88704.thumb.jpeg.2a8fd936f68fff7225dc7aa526b0010a.jpeg

27E0FEEE-C0E3-4435-933B-BB1B670242AE.thumb.jpeg.015ad09b52911b9105053426365c9a5b.jpeg

333B162A-45BB-4694-9F99-424E7924D23E.thumb.jpeg.ba0061ec7df9ab80ddc9b08928b285c5.jpeg

5BDAE2D1-B009-4B70-8D19-679128C1ECDC.thumb.jpeg.5079d642ee68e53886b31ebcd25dbcec.jpeg

Also try Kaiseki for lunch - great Sushi and Sashimi - and no cover charge at lunchtime 

CF85DD96-0D90-429D-88E9-E25028AADE4E.thumb.jpeg.920a5a49cb1360bbab3d16863a2ede65.jpeg

At Indochine if you like it spicy just let them know and they can liven things up 

Yes, the pizza is excellent.  But I hate to tell you that they are not Italian chefs.

On 3/2/2023 at 2:48 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Of course, Saminina.  Hence why the suggestion was made.  The pre-schooler doesn’t “have” to hike, but rather, gets to be “carried” on the hike.  Greatest backpack ever made for active young parents.

carrying a 5 year old on a hike?  do you know how much a 5 year old weighs?  LOL

16 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

carrying a 5 year old on a hike?  do you know how much a 5 year old weighs?  LOL

😁 Yup. Carried one up and down many mountains when I was the age of the Wandering Aussie.

Edited by Stumblefoot

On 3/2/2023 at 7:37 PM, Daveywavey70 said:

I Did this food video on our Muse cruise through Alaska June 19. It seems like most of it is still current. Although food is always subjective, we found the choice and quality to be superb. Have a wonderful time. 

awesome video (and soundtrack)! thanks for posting this