Club Orange Restaurant - Nieuw Statendam

Windsailer

11 minutes ago, Windsailer said:

Are there tables for two? 

We had a table for two on the Konigsdam, Club Orange, and are planning on it for our cruise next week, on the Rotterdam. I feel sure there are.....

37 minutes ago, Windsailer said:

Thanks. It is just me traveling and I prefer to eat meals by myself. 

I went there for breakfast a number of times by myself on our last sailing and usually got seated at a 4-top.  Unlike the MDR, Club Orange does not press you to share a table with other guests.  If all tables are taken, they will issue you a pager for you to wait nearby for a table to open.

Here is a photo of the NS Club Orange showing nearly all tables are 4-top but will be used if only two wish to dine as stated in previous posts.  There are two community tables by the entrance that can be shared with others if willing to do so.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_3017.jpg

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Here is a photo of the NS Club Orange showing nearly all tables are 4-top but will be used if only two wish to dine as stated in previous posts.  There are two community tables by the entrance that can be shared with others if willing to do so.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_3017.jpg

Was just on the Nieuw Statendam in October and we ate at CO for breakfast and dinner.  There are two tables in the back set for two people.  We were seated at those two tops frequently but I really liked the high top tables set for four.

32 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Was just on the Nieuw Statendam in October and we ate at CO for breakfast and dinner.  There are two tables in the back set for two people.  We were seated at those two tops frequently but I really liked the high top tables set for four.

The two-tops were my favorite as well.  I like the high-tops for breakfast so I can watch my food being prepared.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iamthesea said:

I am not a fan of high top tables.  I'll have to make sure that we are not seated at those.  Very uncomfortable on my back.  

At night, is the lighting dimmer?  Candles on table, etc.?

I actually thought the high tops were more comfortable than the regular tables.  And, yes, the lighting is dimmer at dinner.  No candles though.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I am not a fan of high top tables.  I'll have to make sure that we are not seated at those.  Very uncomfortable on my back.  

At night, is the lighting dimmer?  Candles on table, etc.?

Me too. I sat in one of those chairs and my back said NO! I immediately asked to be seated at a regular height table.

34 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I HATE high top tables because they tend to be very high where I live.  I've found the ones in club orange to be quite comfortable strangely enough. 

I believe those Club Orange high top tables are what were planned to be cooking class tables for America's Test Kitchen (which HAL stopped before the NS build was complete).  The same reason there are a number of large monitors facing those tables from above the open kitchen.  Those monitors would have been for guests to watch the cooking demos.  Since it was built later, the Rotterdam's Club Orange dining room was reconfigured away from that test kitchen look.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

I believe those Club Orange high top tables are what were planned to be cooking class tables for America's Test Kitchen (which HAL stopped before the NS build was complete).  The same reason there are a number of large monitors facing those tables from above the open kitchen.  Those monitors would have been for guests to watch the cooking demos.  Since it was built later, the Rotterdam's Club Orange dining room was reconfigured away from that test kitchen look.

That's correct. I think when it wasn't being used for cooking demos, it was a bar.

Actually, I think it was opened as the Culinary Arts Centre on both Koningsdam and Nieuw Amsterdam.    They had two alternating menus, 'Lavender' and 'Basil' ...    across the way was rather utilitarian-ly named Blend - the Ste-Michelle winery custom wine blending venue.  One of the cool upsides of CAC, was your wine (Ste-Michelle) by the carafe was unlimited and included in the cover charge.  I liked the concept, but with only two menus the witty repartée of the chef / animator / microgreens farmer got to be pretty repetitve. 

After ppl got tired of the two menus and stopped going, they tried to turn the space into a 'gastropub' whose name I have forgotten, before landing on the Club Orange concept and private dining venue. On Rotterdam, the venue was purpose built as Club Orange.   Scott.  

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Actually, I think it was opened as the Culinary Arts Centre on both Koningsdam and Nieuw Amsterdam.    They had two alternating menus, 'Lavender' and 'Basil' ...    across the way was rather utilitarian-ly named Blend - the Ste-Michelle winery custom wine blending venue.  One of the cool upsides of CAC, was your wine (Ste-Michelle) by the carafe was unlimited and included in the cover charge.  I liked the concept, but with only two menus the witty repartée of the chef / animator / microgreens farmer got to be pretty repetitve. 

After ppl got tired of the two menus and stopped going, they tried to turn the space into a 'gastropub' whose name I have forgotten, before landing on the Club Orange concept and private dining venue. On Rotterdam, the venue was purpose built as Club Orange.   Scott.  

I can’t remember the name of the gastropub either but I liked it.  It lasted about 5 minutes.