Pinnacle Dining - Extra Charges for Appetizers and Entrees - Isn't the upscale the reason you purchased the Pinnacle Dining?

Longwood50

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Do you have the Navigator app?  Scroll down a teeny bit until you see the row labeled "Dining" and than slide across to the Pinnacle Grill.  Click on that Pinnacle Grill and scroll down until "Menus" where they have both the Lunch and Dinner menus.

Hank

Interesting.. I just looked at the PG menu in the app, and noticed that not a single choice of wine by the glass is within SBP limits.. disappointing. 😏

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Interesting.. I just looked at the PG menu in the app, and noticed that not a single choice of wine by the glass is within SBP limits.. disappointing. 😏

If you look at the link from James Suckling with the PG menu there are many many other wines available by the glass all within the SBP limits.

I couldn’t copy paste just the list but here is an example of the whites.

(I only drink white and luckily my favorite is included phew!)

Rosalyn

PLU #
1308 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling, Columbia Valley, 10 40
Washington State
1309 Danzante Pinot Grigio, Delle Venezie, Italy 11 44
1310 Pian di Remole Bianco, Tuscany, Italy 10 40
1311 Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc Reserva, Valle de Casablanca, Chile 9 36
Laurenz V. Gruner “Singing” Veltliner, Niederösterreich, 12 48 Austria
1313 Chateau St Michelle Mimi Chardonnay, Washington State 11 44
1314 Simi Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma County, California 11 44
1364 Clos du Bois Chardonnay, North Coast, California 11 44
1365 Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand 12 48
1368 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand 18 77 1306 Pascal Jolivet Sauvage, Sancerre, France 19 81 1361 Grgich Hills Chardonnay, Napa Valley, California 21 95
1364 Cakebread Chardonnay Reserve, Carneros, Napa Valley, California
25 115

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

If you look at the link from James Suckling with the PG menu there are many many other wines available by the glass all within the SBP limits.

I couldn’t copy paste just the list but here is an example of the whites.

(I only drink white and luckily my favorite is included phew!)

Rosalyn

PLU #
1308 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling, Columbia Valley, 10 40
Washington State
1309 Danzante Pinot Grigio, Delle Venezie, Italy 11 44
1310 Pian di Remole Bianco, Tuscany, Italy 10 40
1311 Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc Reserva, Valle de Casablanca, Chile 9 36
Laurenz V. Gruner “Singing” Veltliner, Niederösterreich, 12 48 Austria
1313 Chateau St Michelle Mimi Chardonnay, Washington State 11 44
1314 Simi Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma County, California 11 44
1364 Clos du Bois Chardonnay, North Coast, California 11 44
1365 Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand 12 48
1368 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand 18 77 1306 Pascal Jolivet Sauvage, Sancerre, France 19 81 1361 Grgich Hills Chardonnay, Napa Valley, California 21 95
1364 Cakebread Chardonnay Reserve, Carneros, Napa Valley, California
25 115

Thank you for pointing me there. I prefer the whites as well, and as you mentioned, looks like there are several that are within the SBP limits. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 11:07 PM, Gunther1 said:

I'll probably get burned for my response, but while I agree with some of your post, I would not agree that the notice of additional cost for multiple items is "buried".  

Yes it is on the menu.  How many of you go through the menu prior to going to the restaurant.  One way or another extra appetizers such as cup of soup cost with the "grautuity" which was also paid for in the MDR $8.26.  In the MDR Lobster upcharge was $15  for two 5 ounce lobsters.  I guess I was mistaken when I thought my $39 plus 18% meant I had paid for a "special" dinner with selections enhanced from what I already paid for in the MDR with my cruise fare.  

Never again.  If I want a "better" meal I will upcharge in the MDR.  Also the Canneleto, and Tarmirind "specialty restaurants" in my opinion had menu selections that were inferior to the MDR menu. Additionally, putting table cloths on a section of the Lido Buffet and labeling "specialty dining" reminds me of the phrase putting lipstick on a pig to try and make it look beautiful.  

On 3/4/2023 at 9:12 AM, islander47 said:

I am confused. Are you saying HAL lets you have several appetizers in the MDR for no extra charge but not in a specialty restaurant?

That is correct.  I had a person who I met on a shore excursion.  He did not like the entree's in the MDR so instead ordered each of the 5 appetizers on the menu.  No Charge.  I ordered a salad and soup in the Pinnacle.  So in addition to the $46 including tip the meal cost me I got charged $8.26 more for the soup per person.  Maybe they think they are being "smart" but I for one will now decline the Pinncle.  On the other hand maybe I will bring in my soup or salad from the MDR into the Pinnacle and see if anyone gripes. LOL

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

That is correct.  I had a person who I met on a shore excursion.  He did not like the entree's in the MDR so instead ordered each of the 5 appetizers on the menu.  No Charge.  I ordered a salad and soup in the Pinnacle.  So in addition to the $46 including tip the meal cost me I got charged $8.26 more for the soup per person.  Maybe they think they are being "smart" but I for one will now decline the Pinncle.  On the other hand maybe I will bring in my soup or salad from the MDR into the Pinnacle and see if anyone gripes. LOL

Or better yet go up to the Lido and bring yourself a nice Caesar Salad made the way you want it lol. this did make me laugh, actually think this is a good idea but not sure I have the nerve to do it but who knows... I might. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, I would be happy if they moved the PG to a-la-carte pricing. Some people may only want to eat one entree while others may only want two appetizers. Desert? What if I don't have room for desert? Yet now I am being forced to pay for it whether I want it or not? Charging for each item that we ordered would also reduce waste. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

My cruise, my money, you can bet your sweet bippy that I will do it. 😁

Maybe if enough people do this they will realize how silly this is for them. This penny pinching is not how they are going to grow profits getting them back in the black. All it is going to do is turn people away, they already are having a harder time than most of the lines filling their ships. In turn they have to drop prices to get more bodies on board. Price wise they are one of the cheapest cruise lines. They need to stay firm to the bit higher price of the cruise but give a more premium product. In turn that makes for a Happy cruiser when the product feels more premium, with a Happy consumer/cruiser they tend to spend more money on board which equals more profits for front end and back end. Right now they are on a downward spiral that I do not think will fair well in the long run. Right now their pricing is less than Princess and way less than NCL for similiar itineraries. Word with the help of the internet spreads quickly. They are no longer considered a premium cruiseline. They need to bring back in people that know the cruise industry to help turn them around.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Maybe if enough people do this they will realize how silly this is for them. This penny pinching is not how they are going to grow profits getting them back in the black. All it is going to do is turn people away, they already are having a harder time than most of the lines filling their ships. In turn they have to drop prices to get more bodies on board. Price wise they are one of the cheapest cruise lines. They need to stay firm to the bit higher price of the cruise but give a more premium product. In turn that makes for a Happy cruiser when the product feels more premium, with a Happy consumer/cruiser they tend to spend more money on board which equals more profits for front end and back end. Right now they are on a downward spiral that I do not think will fair well in the long run. Right now their pricing is less than Princess and way less than NCL for similiar itineraries. Word with the help of the internet spreads quickly. They are no longer considered a premium cruiseline. They need to bring back in people that know the cruise industry to help turn them around.  

Absolutely agree with you.  Currently we are looking at an 11 day Norwegian Fjord cruise which was last week reduced to €899 (incl fees & taxes) for a gtee verandah.  I have a room on 24hours hold since 4 days ago!  Today, I see that they are now offering a further $100 OBC per stateroom.  How low can you go!

9 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Actually, I would be happy if they moved the PG to a-la-carte pricing. Some people may only want to eat one entree while others may only want two appetizers. Desert? What if I don't have room for desert? Yet now I am being forced to pay for it whether I want it or not? Charging for each item that we ordered would also reduce waste. 

While in theory this sounds good but HAL has worked their promotion around getting Specialty Dining as a perk which is probably one of the problems of why they are nickel and diming. A very large percentage book Pinnacle because it is included, then you have your 5 Star mariners that also get their Free Pinnacle. Changing to A-la Carte will not do them any good. They are kind of stuck. As I stated previous they need to quit penny pinching and just stay firm with higher cruise prices. But Maybe start making a big deal about they are or at least want to be a premium cruiseline. Advertise more similiar to Celebrity. Doing what they are doing is not helping their image. NCL that has had a bad rap for years is far more premium in their specialty dining than HAL.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Be careful what you wish for. NCL did just that and the a la carte prices are far higher when adding up multiple courses than what the modest up charge used to be. People who eat smaller meals like yourself will likely be paying close to the same a la carte (if not more) whilst those that order all the courses will pay far more than they do currently. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

Be careful what you wish for. NCL did just that and the a la carte prices are far higher when adding up multiple courses than what the modest up charge used to be. People who eat smaller meals like yourself will likely be paying close to the same a la carte (if not more) whilst those that order all the courses will pay far more than they do currently. 

While this is true with NCL, they also offer to be able to purchase multiple Dining packages, the more you buy the less per dining it is. They even allow you to split one dining coupon with two people in many of the restaurants that ar a la carte. I think the only exception is Teppanyaki which is not a la carte. They also allow at any meal one appetizer, soup and salad if you want it, main entree plus a side (a couple of the restaurants allow 2 sides) and dessert. Which is why it can easily be split between two.

One time in Cagney's I was not that hungry so we only used one Dining package split it and I think I only paid for dessert. They are far more giving in their specialty dining than HAL has ever been. So yes it cost more but  the experience is far better andyour treated far differently.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

While this is true with NCL, they also offer to be able to purchase multiple Dining packages, the more you buy the less per dining it is. They even allow you to split one dining coupon with two people in many of the restaurants that ar a la carte. I think the only exception is Teppanyaki which is not a la carte. They also allow at any meal one appetizer, soup and salad if you want it, main entree plus a side (a couple of the restaurants allow 2 sides) and dessert. Which is why it can easily be split between two.

One time in Cagney's I was not that hungry so we only used one Dining package split it and I think I only paid for dessert. They are far more giving in their specialty dining than HAL has ever been. So yes it cost more but  the experience is far better andyour treated far differently.

As someone who is content with the MDR on HAL, I just usually do one specialty per cruise as a treat and change of pace. I don’t need a package or care about splitting credits. I’m fine with paying a cover though I do think it’s crappy to charge for extra apps in pinnacle. I would not like a move to a la carte. 

Honestly, on NCL I often ate in the MDR as well but (at least pre covid) they were far inferior to HAL in that dept. They almost force people into specialty dining by making the MDR unappealing. I’m not that picky so find something I’ll eat as I’ve already paid for it in my fare but HAL’s MDR has been much better than any NCL one I’ve been in. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

As someone who is content with the MDR on HAL, I just usually do one specialty per cruise as a treat and change of pace. I don’t need a package or care about splitting credits. I’m fine with paying a cover though I do think it’s crappy to charge for extra apps in pinnacle. I would not like a move to a la carte. 

Honestly, on NCL I often ate in the MDR as well but (at least pre covid) they were far inferior to HAL in that dept. They almost force people into specialty dining by making the MDR unappealing. I’m not that picky so find something I’ll eat as I’ve already paid for it in my fare but HAL’s MDR has been much better than any NCL one I’ve been in. 

Good example why everyone is different. When we cruise NCL (we have sailed twice since November) we go to a specialty restaurant almost every single night. We plan that as part of our cruise experience with NCL. We love the Variety, higher end quality and Service. Living in Las Vegas we have the option to go to many very nice high end dining venues and have done so often. We have found some of our very favorite restaurants being those on NCL compared to paying $250.00 a person at home. I honestly would pay more for Pinnacle Grill if they brought the quality up. But it is rather a catch 22, no one is going to want to pay more unless it is really good and HAL is not about to improve what they are offering. 

10 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Be careful what you ask for.  That is exactly the direction they are walking us all towards.  What you fail to take into consideration is that you are a "captive" customer.  They will be able to charge whatever they want for items on the menu.  One only has to look at the prices at Disneyworld for a lousy Mickey Burger when you as a customer have no other choice on where you dine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Interesting.  Why just for the PG?  Why not do this for everything?  They could charge for each towel used in the cabin, each item in the MDR, each use of an elevator, a tender charge (+18%), a charge for each liter of water used in your bathroom, etc.   Perhaps a special "glass" charge for each used glass (kind of like a corkage fee) and a charge for each used dish (this would also reduce waste).  At the salad station (in the Lido) they could weigh the completed salad and charge by the ounce.  And how about a fee per minute for use of a deck chair, lounger, etc.

Yes, I know this all sounds ridiculous, but when you go down the nickel and diming ala carte path where does it stop?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting.  Why just for the PG?  Why not do this for everything?  They could charge for each towel used in the cabin, each item in the MDR, each use of an elevator, a tender charge (+18%), a charge for each liter of water used in your bathroom, etc.   Perhaps a special "glass" charge for each used glass (kind of like a corkage fee) and a charge for each used dish (this would also reduce waste).  At the salad station (in the Lido) they could weigh the completed salad and charge by the ounce.  And how about a fee per minute for use of a deck chair, lounger, etc.

Yes, I know this all sounds ridiculous, but when you go down the nickel and diming ala carte path where does it stop?  

I see your point but isn't this what they airlines have done? If you want food, you pay for it. If you want a beverage, you pay for it. If you want a better seat, you pay for it. If you want to board the plane early, you can for that too. Additional charges raise revenue but also effect behavior. Many people could live quite frugally on a cruise ship and thus save money. 

26 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I see your point but isn't this what they airlines have done? If you want food, you pay for it. If you want a beverage, you pay for it. If you want a better seat, you pay for it. If you want to board the plane early, you can for that too. Additional charges raise revenue but also effect behavior. Many people could live quite frugally on a cruise ship and thus save money. 

While I understand what you're saying, I don't think most people want a vacation that is like traveling on a plane. Flying is universally loathed, for just the type of changes you mention. 

I'd venture to guess a majority of people like to "live large" when they vacation -- it's one reason cruises and AI properties are popular vacation choices. Being "nickled and dimed" (e.g., charged for every little thing) is considered at the least an inconvenience and at the most a real downer. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

While I understand what you're saying, I don't think most people want a vacation that is like traveling on a plane. Flying is universally loathed, for just the type of changes you mention. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson famously said..."it's not the destination, it's the journey."

Dude obviously died before the airplane was invented...

Edited by PACD_JG
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I see your point but isn't this what they airlines have done? If you want food, you pay for it. If you want a beverage, you pay for it. If you want a better seat, you pay for it. If you want to board the plane early, you can for that too. Additional charges raise revenue but also affect behavior. Many people could live quite frugally on a cruise ship and thus save money. 

An airplane is transportation.  A cruise ship (with the possible exception of Queen Mary 2 transatlantics) is both transportation AND a part of the vacation. There’s a big difference between sucking up a few hours of nickel and diming on a flight and dealing with weeks of it on a cruise. My crystal ball is broken but I have a feeling if cruise lines ever went completely in the direction of airlines many of them would quickly be out of business. 

Edited by Bostonjetset
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I have yet to have a meal on a plane (post 2013 trip) that I consider a proper meal. All I’ve had were essentially MREs on my SA and Europe trips, and a few domestic ones in between. 

(Which is really too bad, as the dinner LAN served in 2013 was good enough that if it was a local restaurant, it would be a regular. The “stew” LAMTAN served in 2018 was horrible.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I have yet to have a meal on a plane (post 2013 trip) that I consider a proper meal. All I’ve had were essentially MREs on my SA and Europe trips, and a few domestic ones in between. 

(Which is really too bad, as the dinner LAN served in 2013 was good enough that if it was a local restaurant, it would be a regular. The “stew” LAMTAN served in 2018 was horrible.)

It's funny you would mention not having a good meal on a plane. I would have agreed with you 1000% prior to our flight home on British Airways. We had just finished our Norway cruise on the Rotterdam sadly we were not impressed with any of the food on the Rotterdam at best it was just Bleh! Worst meals were Pinnacle and Rudi's (in Rudi's our Lobster and shrimp were all covered with tomalley that white creamy stuff that is recommended not to consume beside being cold meal). The only good meal all week was Canaletto. Our first flight out of Amsterdam on British Airways was a short flight to London and we actually were served an amazing little meal that was of all things Mexican with the most tender season chicken I have had. For a flight less than an hour the food was amazing. (Yes we were in First Class) but we certainly would not have had a even a snack in first class in the US or domestic flight. Then we boarded our flight from Heathrow to Phoenix. We actually felt like we were dining in a Michelin 5 Star Restaurant.They called it their Club World Dining, many article stated it started in October but we definitely had it in July. Other than when I flew to Japan for the first time in 1970 I had never been so impressed. My husband retired after over 30 years with Gate Gourmet which does catering for airlines all over the world so we definitely know about airline food. British Airways Business Class was totally amazing from food to service. I might have to try to do like Hank did for his Japan cruise. The only thing not sure it makes sense to fly to London from LAS to get to Tokyo for our cruise in 2025 but traveling Business Class is a vacation in itself 🙂

Oddly I totally forgot to take picture of our meals on the flight from London to Phoenix but I did take a picture of the lunch from Amsterdam to London. Which I had to eat very quickly. Never have I had a full meal on such a short flight.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AAMkAGNkZTRiZDI5LTFiMjUtNGU4NC1hYjNkLWI4NjFkMjI4ZjgzYwBGAAAAAAA%2Bk8HIEla3QLs1GbjPDXOYBwAMIzYW7Pz7RKVGh0%2FUGHHaAAAAAAEMAAAMIzYW7Pz7RKVGh0%2FUGHHaAASDCcXfAAABEgAQAIEJ3JTJXNxOoCNmEgHSG58%3D&thumbnailType=2&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IkQ4OThGN0RDMjk2ODQ1MDk1RUUwREZGQ0MzODBBOTM5NjUwNDNFNjQiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiIySmozM0Nsb1JRbGU0Tl84dzRDcE9XVUVQbVEifQ.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.d3W2XmZBPK832iozkRS3r3bxF06B6IPYQnULPDL3ndh1X0yRT6O07OYyrTxThoalP7u8Xg7cdgKBWy4rKT4LvLyQZv2Mf6SQAqe-B6Ar-ofM2c1txbxU_GBKUgbm4meYAAaL40btojdHehbgs76ylaMqj458ldRiM8R5WYkW-IulAYSK8-VzL8zegk6B9pRZTwvpwUd38lSfqut4dl27cZ8GLUmjJScxiZJ5C_EG83Xpftssmz_4beVEZ4s5CG9lYSxmhtW8p8T6pPqyScG2vd6wlTXpy_VXaQLrmv83TQEiRXK4lA5f24TE-wlWaTAAqx11jV5ZN5A1A8cdx_Vqzg&X-OWA-CANARY=FTE2ieOAoEuuAm4kT0W6aSBzd3PpJ9sYXvMOy0cTjYIDJDD1rEosgB1uAEYE7TKVxQMSrrxKFF4.&owa=outlook.office.com&scriptVer=20230310007.13&animation=true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bostonjetset said:

An airplane is transportation.  A cruise ship (with the possible exception of Queen Mary 2 transatlantics) is both transportation AND a part of the vacation. There’s a big difference between sucking up a few hours of nickel and diming on a flight and dealing with weeks of it on a cruise. My crystal ball is broken but I have a feeling if cruise lines ever went completely in the direction of airlines many of them would quickly be out of business. 

The airline business model didn't change overnight.  Just like the cruise ships, the airline changes were an evolution.  Changes were brought in slowly over time to see how the customer base would respond and over time it became a race to the bottom.  Smaller and more seats were crammed into the planes very similar to how HAL's Pinnacle class ships all have smaller staterooms.  One thing that differentiated HAL from its competition was its larger staterooms and yet with the Pinnacle Class HAL has moved away from that differnaition.  

The upcharges from the airlines are no different than the cruise lines.  What was once included - alcohol, food, luggage, seat selection, headphones are now primarily a la carte much like HAL introducing more and more additional charges.  Those of us who have been around a long while understand all too well how this plays out in any industry that adopts these practices.