COVID cabins

Gpilon

4 hours ago, Gpilon said:

I have heard Regent continues to keep cabins open (Deck 6) in the event anyone onboard needs to be isolated if a positive test happens????

Probably not as ships are now sailing mostly full.  Covid is here to stay.  

29 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Had Covid in Nov/December on Splendor.  No cabins available -- isolate in your suite.

What I wanted to hear. We have a very nice suite for the TA end of March and would be upset if we were moved. Had 3rd booster so think it will be a non issue. 

19 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

What I wanted to hear. We have a very nice suite for the TA end of March and would be upset if we were moved. Had 3rd booster so think it will be a non issue. 

I’ve had 6 COVID shots (I’m immune compromised so I got an extra first round )..I woke up to COVID on Super Bowl Sunday…I had escaped 3 years but lost the battle.  I tell you this because there just are no guarantees.  I hope you stay well and I know I’m done with not living…it’s worth the risk to go and enjoy. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

Hate to pop the balloon but...We had the first two Pfizer vaccines plus 2 boosters before boarding our Panama Canal cruise and still tested positive on Mariner Panama Canal cruise in Jan '22..

19 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Hate to pop the balloon but...We had the first two Pfizer vaccines plus 2 boosters before boarding our Panama Canal cruise and still tested positive on Mariner Panama Canal cruise in Jan '22..

Agree…no guarantees. We both had COVID after initial 2 jabs and before the 3 boosters. Won’t deter us, though. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Probably not as ships are now sailing mostly full.  Covid is here to stay.  

In the west, after 3 years I think Kwaj girl is correct - Covid is now endemic although there is still some caution in some Far Eastern countries.

Having the vaccine does not stop you contracting the virus but it does mean your immune system is primed and ready so (hopefully) you are less ill for a shorter period of time (or not ill at all) and hence less contagious. I do, however, think everyone should still maintain good hand hygiene and also that those who have any type of upper respiratory symptoms should consider wearing a mask when in a confined space or when getting food from a buffet in order to protect others, not just from Covid but all the other seasonal diseases which we have avoided contact with.

• Like 6

Regents protocol was quarantine in your suite, ship will do a PCR test to verify, doctor will prescribe Paxlovid, treat for other symptoms (cough or flu like symptoms) -- total bill around $1400.

Antigen test daily -- two negatives and you are released.  No housekeeping (they would leave towels at your door), room service from any venue was allowed.

As others have commented -- getting vaccinated in no guarantee as we had 4 shots/jabs, caught COVID in Nov/Dec.  Traveled to Austria for a business function at end of January.  Everyone tested daily, and caught the bloody plague again. I am one that generally does not get sick with flu and avoided COVID for three years continued to travel on business during the entire period.

Don't think I'd EVER take Paxlovid.  Too much evidence of rebound covid after treatment. For the majority of people covid is no worse than the common cold or mild flu.  Keep washing your hands and then keep your hands away from your eyes/nose/mouth - that seems to be the best defense.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Don't think I'd EVER take Paxlovid.  Too much evidence of rebound covid after treatment. For the majority of people covid is no worse than the common cold or mild flu.  Keep washing your hands and then keep your hands away from your eyes/nose/mouth - that seems to be the best defense.

Everyone has their own perspective. I tested positive on Splendor last July and got Paxlovid. I had to wait until day 5 to get tested and tested negative for the second time on day 6 and was able to go on the excursions the last two days of the cruise. I did not rebound but for those last two days outside quarantine I think I would have been okay with it. The $800 cost bothered me a little. Just last week I received an email from the travel insurance company indicating, somewhat ambiguously, that they finally decided to pay the claim. Fingers crossed. 

Our experience was on Explorer in January 2023.  PCR test confirmed our own self-test results.  Nurse visited twice daily but no further tests until day 5.  We tested negative on day 5 and were immediately released from quarantine.  Cost including Paxlovid was $1,800+ per person.

It was actually a Regent rep who told me they were keeping certain suites (Deck 6) open in case of an outbreak on this TA cruise. 
agree with Pcardad….seems like forced medicine or treatment could be actionable. 

I was told my antigen test could stay positive for several weeks even though ok to go on with life.  Isolate 5 days.  If fever gone and symptoms better wear masks 5 more days.  This is on cdc website also. 
Need to be careful with Paxlovid.  Drs need to look at every medicine or supplement you take.  The hospital urgent care decided I should not take it.  In case I get it again I’m asking my rheumatologist at next appointment. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 7:51 PM, Gpilon said:

I was vaccinated with both shots (pre booster days) and got covid a month later. I received my first booster last year and got covid again 6 weeks later. I got my last booster the end of November (2022) and will be on the Splendor in 7 days if all goes well. I'm not taking it for granted and hope I make it on and off this ship healthy, a little less wealthy (lol), and hopefully a little wiser. 

Protocols are certainly relaxing worldwide.

We were in Manila yesterday and the mandate on mask wearing has just been lifted and more businesses & tourist sites are opening up.

There was a requirement to self-test prior to entering Taiwan (see Regent letter below)

E01B287D-37C1-4FB1-B44E-2AF3FEDE1139.thumb.jpeg.e7f325ad8da6df9e653bfda1ff016969.jpeg

Today (day before arriving in Taiwan) the requirement has been lifted - no testing required 🙂

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

Everyone has their own perspective. I tested positive on Splendor last July and got Paxlovid. I had to wait until day 5 to get tested and tested negative for the second time on day 6 and was able to go on the excursions the last two days of the cruise. I did not rebound but for those last two days outside quarantine I think I would have been okay with it. The $800 cost bothered me a little. Just last week I received an email from the travel insurance company indicating, somewhat ambiguously, that they finally decided to pay the claim. Fingers crossed. 

On the same cruise. We both contracted covid.  Received the paxlovid - it worked quickly.  We did have a minor rebound.  Glad we took it.  We have been reimbursed for the cost.  I agree with others that we should at a minimum, continue washing our hands.  Was a bit disappointed on recent cruise that very few passengers seem to be using the hand sanitizer stations available throughout the ship.  Even had one "gentleman" criticize the fact that I was using the hand sanitizer.  IMO we should all continue to do what we can to prevent another mass illness spreading around us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carolina cruisin said:

Even had one "gentleman" criticize the fact that I was using the hand sanitizer.  IMO we should all continue to do what we can to prevent another mass illness spreading around us.

Good for you Carolina cruisin. For goodness sake what is the matter with people 😠 it takes1 second to squirt some sanitiser onto your hands and 10 seconds to rub it in. Forget Covid (as if we can) there are so many other illnesses that are being transmitted at the moment like flu because we haven't been exposed to them and then there is norovirus and other similar gastro intestinal diseases - the bane of life at sea prior to Covid all of which can make a holiday miserable. 

was he popping back to his hogged sunlounger at the time 😂😂

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2023 at 3:28 PM, Pcardad said:

I am not sure Regent can force medicine or medical treatment on you...they can quarantine you but not sure they have the legal right to go beyond that.

Did someone indicate Regent forced medical treatment?  They did not force anything on us.

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Did they make you take a COVID test? If so, did they bill you for it?

In our case, we were quarantined for 5 days. Prescribed paxlovid.  Provided cough/cold medicine. Medical staff visited every day. Spoke with Dr. couple of times. Several Covid tests. Charged ONLY for paxlovid and insurance covered that.