Transportation from Monaco to NIce?

ShelleyK

An excursion I had booked was cancelled last week by Oceania. We are going to try to do it ourselves. We are on the Sirena in early April - does anyone know what is available in transportation to Nice from where we dock? Getting lots of different answers as to where the trains and buses are - trying to find the easiest and most efficient way to get to Nice. I think different ships disembark in different places in Monaco. Thanks in advance for your help! 

ShelleyK

1 hour ago, bikegrrrl said:

Also, at that distance, you could probably just get a taxi!

We did taxi from Monaco to Villefranche and it was 75€.    Probably close to 150€ to get to Nice, each way.    Uber/Lyft do not serve Monaco.

Train is easy.   And inexpensive.   Monaco station is very modern.   Nice station about a 15 minute walk to the beachfront and market area.   Street car is a block from station in Nice if you don’t want to walk.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 3

@ShelleyK  Did Oceania give a reason why the excursion was cancelled?  I'll be on the Nautica in August with Nice on the itinerary.  We're looking at both Oceania and private excursions to Monaco. Interesting that they cancelled it a full month in advance. Usually it's with short notice. 

Thanks.

In 2019 pre-pandemic we took a taxi from Nice to Monaco because the train tracks had a small washout. Then it was €120. Once you are over the price it is a very nice drive and convenient, you will be dropped off as close to the ship as possible.

• Like 1

Sunlover12-

Monaco is our cruise stop - we want to go to Nice from there. Not the other way around. Some of the larger ships can't port in Monaco. We are on Sirena, one of Oceania's smaller ships. No reason was given. They also canceled an excursion we were booked on for Marseille/Provence. This is my first Oceania experience and I am losing patience. I was booked on Vista and they bounced us from that. We rebooked for this and they are cancelling excursions. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. My frustration is rapidly growing. 

If you still want to do a tour, try some 3rd party tour sites like Viator and Tours by Locals. We no longer use any cruise ship sponsored tours as we find private 3rd party tours to be far superior and, in some cases, less in cost. From what I have seen Oceania has some of the highest price ship sponsored tour I have ever seen.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

We were just in both Monaco and Nice in November.  Transportation is controlled in Monaco so a taxi to Nice will be very expensive.  We took bus both ways but if I had to do it over I would take the train to Nice and the bus back.  On bus from Nice sit on right side for wonderful views. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ShelleyK said:

Sunlover12-

Monaco is our cruise stop - we want to go to Nice from there. Not the other way around. Some of the larger ships can't port in Monaco. We are on Sirena, one of Oceania's smaller ships. No reason was given. They also canceled an excursion we were booked on for Marseille/Provence. This is my first Oceania experience and I am losing patience. I was booked on Vista and they bounced us from that. We rebooked for this and they are cancelling excursions. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. My frustration is rapidly growing. 

I totally get your frustration but don't let it ruin your cruise.  It is a wonderful area to visit.

Check the Ports forums here on CruiseCritic.  You should find lots of good information and recommendations there.  We did these ports on an Azamara cruise Oct.-Nov.  I found out at that time that some of the tour companies had staffing issues coming out of the pandemic.  Hopefully that is improving now.

Check Viator as well - for a lot of tours they have a buy now/pay later (2 days prior to tour) option.

It helps if you have a group to arrange a private tour.  Is there a roll call for your cruise?

I can recommend tour companies - Bonjour Provence, Tour Designer in Provence (Catherine D'Antuono), Sylvie Di Cristo.   But none will come cheap if you are just 2 people (I know because my husband and I did book that way). 

Wishing you a wonderful time!

On 3/4/2023 at 3:52 PM, zoncom said:

Bus is the cheapest: around 1..5 Euro .Great bus system. All the way to ,Menton on bus along the sea for same price  .Mountain.buses too.

Totally agree.  We used the bus system too and it was so inexpensive and easy.  Busses were clean and used by locals, especially teens to get to/from school but they were very well behaved.