Oasis class vs Navigator of the Seas

22 minutes ago, parkbr said:

Thank you. 
Yeah, we thought Navigator seems to be a good ship, but I dont think I can handle pacific ocean. lol. 
I thought I was being smart avoiding Caribbean during the hurricane season, but I guess not! 😉

I've had smoother sails on the Caribbean during the hurricane season than out of them!  Heck, we were on the Navigator during Katrina but didn't have one clue until we came back to port at the end of the cruise to news of the devastation!  Ships avoid storms, and find the smoother routes. Our cruise just happened to be going the right route so we weren't diverted but it was smooth and no problems, and we were in an inside cabin.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, parkbr said:

Thank you. I liked what we saw (Youtube videos, etc), but I am now more concerned about the rough sea now. lol

Unless you live in So cal not worth the trouble.  Most of the cruise is fairly smooth. 90% of the time the seas are very rough as you return from Mexico at the Mexico Cal border. Hit and miss but expect rough seas on at least one day. We have done 10 plus cruises from World Cruise Center on Royal, Princess and Carnival. Ship size doesn't matter, return from Mexico usually sucks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

Most of the cruise is fairly smooth. 90% of the time the seas are very rough as you return from Mexico at the Mexico Cal border. Hit and miss but expect rough seas on at least one day.

Exactly our experience.  One day on the way back north.  Our worst seas ever that day...but the rest of the time wasn't too bad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Denversail said:

It has been several years but the roughest seas that I recall while cruising was doing the Mexican riviera route. 

We've done the Mexican Riviera from San Diego down to Acapulco and back years ago...I would agree it was some of the roughest seas we've encountered. 

• Like 1

We were on the Vision of the Seas 19 years ago. We had our family with five kids and two rooms. Kids were 5-16 years old. Everybody except my husband got seasick on the return. Poor guy had to pack everyones suitcases on the last night. He just threw it all into the next suitcase he came to until it was full and then grabbed another. We had to sort it all out after we got back to LA. We still had five days at Disney and Universal so it was a big mess. LOL, good times. But here we are again, our next cruise is April 7-14 on the Navigator and will be bringing motion sick pills with us just in case. This time we have a balcony room so hope that helps as being in a interior room was no fun being sick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

I've had smoother sails on the Caribbean during the hurricane season than out of them!  Heck, we were on the Navigator during Katrina but didn't have one clue until we came back to port at the end of the cruise to news of the devastation!  Ships avoid storms, and find the smoother routes. Our cruise just happened to be going the right route so we weren't diverted but it was smooth and no problems, and we were in an inside cabin.

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Unless you live in So cal not worth the trouble.  Most of the cruise is fairly smooth. 90% of the time the seas are very rough as you return from Mexico at the Mexico Cal border. Hit and miss but expect rough seas on at least one day. We have done 10 plus cruises from World Cruise Center on Royal, Princess and Carnival. Ship size doesn't matter, return from Mexico usually sucks. 

2 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Exactly our experience.  One day on the way back north.  Our worst seas ever that day...but the rest of the time wasn't too bad.

1 hour ago, Wigginout662 said:

We've done the Mexican Riviera from San Diego down to Acapulco and back years ago...I would agree it was some of the roughest seas we've encountered. 

okay. I think I got enough warnings and alarms. I have decided to scratch the cruise idea altogether. 
I get motion sickness very very easily and I know I will be staying in the bathroom (I throw up a lot when I feel queasy) for the entire cruise day (the last day), which won't be fun at all.

I also read some other posts and articles and everyone says that Northbound return trip of 1 - 1.5 days are really rough.

Thank you so much. I am glad I didn't go ahead and book this one. (I was about to on Saturday).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jussabitconfused said:

We were on the Vision of the Seas 19 years ago. We had our family with five kids and two rooms. Kids were 5-16 years old. Everybody except my husband got seasick on the return. Poor guy had to pack everyones suitcases on the last night. He just threw it all into the next suitcase he came to until it was full and then grabbed another. We had to sort it all out after we got back to LA. We still had five days at Disney and Universal so it was a big mess. LOL, good times. But here we are again, our next cruise is April 7-14 on the Navigator and will be bringing motion sick pills with us just in case. This time we have a balcony room so hope that helps as being in a interior room was no fun being sick.

Oh dear! 
I usually get sick with pills and being in a balcony suite. So I guess I really should avoid it in that case. 
Good luck to you this time! 😄 Hope you enjoy it!

BTW, me being sick and not being able to pack will be a devastating situation for us, since I am the most likely-to-get-sick one and I am the only one who packs in my household. I moved so many times, I am a pro in packing and I do a miracle packing - my husband says "you should be hired as a magician". Just past trip to Orlando, for the family of 3, I was able to pack 3 sets of 11-days of clothing including socks and undergarments, 3 sets of PJ's for each of us, then 3 water shoes, 3 crocs, and toiletry, stationary, a laptop, and jackets (our winter jackets) all in 3 carry-on suit cases. Then we had a room in our personal item bags (usually a backpack), so I packed cereal that will last for 10 days for all 3 of us, about 20 granola bars, 20 chocolates, and 28 bags of mini chips. On our way back, since we ate all food items, we had replaced them with souvenirs and one of the bags folded and chucked away. 😉 

If I get too sick to the point where I cannot even pack, there will be no way that my husband can handle the packing. lol. 

We've been on Navigator a few times since she started sailing from San Pedro doing the 7 night Mexican Riviera and as recently as this past January. No complaints at all and we loved our OS. Navigator has the best ice show fleet wide we personally think. iSkate Reach For The Stars.

Also the El Loco Fresh is a great addition.

Can't wait to be back on her again and we're already booked in the same cabin.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, parkbr said:

Oh dear! 
I usually get sick with pills and being in a balcony suite. So I guess I really should avoid it in that case. 
Good luck to you this time! 😄 Hope you enjoy it!

BTW, me being sick and not being able to pack will be a devastating situation for us, since I am the most likely-to-get-sick one and I am the only one who packs in my household. I moved so many times, I am a pro in packing and I do a miracle packing - my husband says "you should be hired as a magician". Just past trip to Orlando, for the family of 3, I was able to pack 3 sets of 11-days of clothing including socks and undergarments, 3 sets of PJ's for each of us, then 3 water shoes, 3 crocs, and toiletry, stationary, a laptop, and jackets (our winter jackets) all in 3 carry-on suit cases. Then we had a room in our personal item bags (usually a backpack), so I packed cereal that will last for 10 days for all 3 of us, about 20 granola bars, 20 chocolates, and 28 bags of mini chips. On our way back, since we ate all food items, we had replaced them with souvenirs and one of the bags folded and chucked away. 😉 

If I get too sick to the point where I cannot even pack, there will be no way that my husband can handle the packing. lol. 

I always try to pack light. Try being the keyword. My youngest always comes home with half of her outfits unworn. However, by the time we get home, everything may well have been worn. Ugh, kids! 

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

We've been on Navigator a few times since she started sailing from San Pedro doing the 7 night Mexican Riviera and as recently as this past January. No complaints at all and we loved our OS. Navigator has the best ice show fleet wide we personally think. iSkate Reach For The Stars.

Also the El Loco Fresh is a great addition.

Can't wait to be back on her again and we're already booked in the same cabin.

That is great! 🙂
Yes, I've heard that the ice show is the best and was excited to see it, but I really don't think I can handle the sea on the way back. 😞

13 minutes ago, Jussabitconfused said:

I always try to pack light. Try being the keyword. My youngest always comes home with half of her outfits unworn. However, by the time we get home, everything may well have been worn. Ugh, kids! 

LOL! 
I pack light too because the space is limited. 😉 

We rarely do check-in bags, as they are extra and the way I pack it (like a perfect tetris) they are always overweight. lol!
Now, having said that, we drove to NJ last summer and were able to bring our 2 regular-sized suit cases and just 1 carry-on and 1 backpack. What a difference! I didn't have to roll every clothes nor find the 'empty' spot to squeeze in socks. 😄

Since we have clothes picked out for every single day, they all get worn - except for that 1 extra pair that we pack for 'emergency'. 
I learned that I don't like doing laundry while on vacation, so unless I am gone for more than 12+ days, we try to pack. 

But I must admit, with my daughter, I pack extra dresses, extra shirts and pants in case she wants something else or the weather is not what I expected or she spills something etc. Kids, eh? 😉

We’ve done the Mexican Riviera several times and had both smooth seas and choppy seas but have also had rough seas in the Caribbean. The other posters are right that heading back north from Mexico to California is choppier. The prevailing winds on the west coast are usually from the northwest so when the ship is headed north, it’s moving into the wind. I get seasick too. As long as I keep a steady level of meds in me, I’m fine. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 8:42 AM, Husky1987 said:

Not to be an alarmist (we've only done one Mexican Riveria cruise), but we had the highest/roughest seas by far on that route as well.  

Sailing back up from Mexico there is that Japanese current that makes for rougher seas.  And the ship is going faster.  That said, our last cruise to Mexico in 2017 on the Grand Princess roundtrip out of SF was the SMOOTHEST voyage I’ve ever experienced sailing back!  Couldn’t believe it.  Felt smooth as ice.  Unusual. 

• 11 months later...

As others have said, it's not uncommon to have pretty rough seas heading north from Cabo.

We've been on 10 Mexican Riviera cruises from LA and there is usually a decent amount of movement.

Our cabin on deck 5 at the very front of the ship was going completely under water the waves were so high. 

This cruise was the worst:

• Like 1

Coming home on the Nav is when you're going to feel the swells. Heading down south is not bad. We had no huge swells coming back, so we couldn't tell she was even moving.

We did her last Oct and loved her. It's amplified and really, really nice! It'll be in dry dock again before we sail on her in May. 

Yes, she's smaller than Oasis class. We've done Allure, Symphony and loved them, but as mentioned, we loved the Nav after setting realistic expectation that she's not Oasis class. You'll love her.