Los Angeles Port to San Diego, then SD to LAX

Hello,

We are on a cruise that ends in Los Angeles.

Our flight back to Canada leaves from LAX a few days later in the early afternoon but we want to visit San Diego instead of Los Angeles.

Can any one advise what is the best way to  do this (LA port to San Diego the morning of debarkation, then San Diego to a hotel near LAX the night before the flight?)?  We would prefer taking public transportation (e.g. subway/trains) to avoid the possible traffic jams if it is a viable option.  Mobility is not an issue.

We don’t have Uber/Lyft and are reluctant to sign up and use them unless they really are the best option.

Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 6:37 PM, ShopperfiendTO said:

Hello,

Our flight back to Canada leaves from LAX a few days later in the early afternoon but we want to visit San Diego instead of Los Angeles.

Can any one advise what is the best way to  do this (LA port to San Diego the morning of debarkation, then San Diego to a hotel near LAX the night before the flight?)?  We would prefer taking public transportation (e.g. subway/trains) to avoid the possible traffic jams if it is a viable option.  Mobility is not an issue.

We don’t have Uber/Lyft and are reluctant to sign up and use them unless they really are the best option.

Thanks for any help!

This is a tough one. Public transportation is not an option. Renting a car to make the drive down and back is probably you best option. You could take a cab from the port to a car agency and then drop it off at LAX on your return. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 2:37 AM, ShopperfiendTO said:

Hello,

Thanks for any help!

We are doing the same journey but in reverse- LAX to San Diego before our cruise, then San Diego back to LA to board ship. 

We have booked the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner to take us from LA Union Station to SD. There is construction work during the week which is due to end by April, but the trains are running fully at weekends. Check Amtrak website for updates. 

You will need to get a taxi from the cruise terminal to the train station as public transport is non-existent I believe.

From the airport we are planning to take the Flyaway bus from the terminal to the train station ($9.75 each)  LAX Official Website | Traffic and Ground Transportation - FlyAway Bus Union Station  For your trip, you could take the bus back to the airport, from Union Station, and book a hotel which offers a shuttle to/from the terminal. 

Hope this helps! 

Edited by JintyGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2023 at 4:28 AM, JintyGirl said:

We are doing the same journey but in reverse- LAX to San Diego before our cruise, then San Diego back to LA to board ship. 

We have booked the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner to take us from LA Union Station to SD. There is construction work during the week which is due to end by April, but the trains are running fully at weekends. Check Amtrak website for updates. 

You will need to get a taxi from the cruise terminal to the train station as public transport is non-existent I believe.

From the airport we are planning to take the Flyaway bus from the terminal to the train station ($9.75 each)  LAX Official Website | Traffic and Ground Transportation - FlyAway Bus Union Station  For your trip, you could take the bus back to the airport, from Union Station, and book a hotel which offers a shuttle to/from the terminal. 

Hope this helps! 

Hi JintyGirl,

I'm not sure if you already sailed, but I'm doing a little bit more research and it seems that one might be able to take a bus from Union Station to somewhere close to the San Pedro cruise port.

It is a somewhat express metro bus, called the "bus rapid transit line" or "BRT", J Line (Silver).

The ride is a little longer than taking a taxi/Uber/Lyft, but I think it leaves directly from Union Station.  I believe the stop you want to get off at for the cruise port is Beacon @ 1st Street (but I don't know for certain because I don't know where the entry to the port is).

https://www.metro.net/riding/guide/J-line/

https://cdn.beta.metro.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/24114358/910-950_TT_06-26-22.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 1:28 AM, JintyGirl said:

We are doing the same journey but in reverse- LAX to San Diego before our cruise, then San Diego back to LA to board ship. We have booked the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner to take us from LA Union Station to SD.

On 4/29/2023 at 5:02 PM, ShopperfiendTO said:

I'm not sure if you already sailed, but I'm doing a little bit more research and it seems that one might be able to take a bus from Union Station to somewhere close to the San Pedro cruise port.

I am not sure if either have attempted this yet, but Amtrak between LA and SD has had more track closures due to slides.

https://www.pacificsurfliner.com/plan-your-trip/alerts/travel-advisories/

The EASIEST way is to truly rent a car and drive. Pick up at San Pedro, drop at LAX Airport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 6:37 PM, ShopperfiendTO said:

Hello,

Thanks for any help!

be aware that San Diego is at min a 2 hour drive, each way ( that's if traffic is good) from Los Angeles.  If you take the train, that turns into a 4 hour ride.  Maybe look into Greyhound Bus ( probably still 3 hours).    Maybe see if you can change your departure airport from LAX to depart San Diego.  Seems like awhole lot of aggravation just to see San Diego.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

be aware that San Diego is at min a 2 hour drive, each way ( that's if traffic is good) from Los Angeles.  If you take the train, that turns into a 4 hour ride.  Maybe look into Greyhound Bus ( probably still 3 hours).    Maybe see if you can change your departure airport from LAX to depart San Diego.  Seems like awhole lot of aggravation just to see San Diego.  

Thanks for the input.  

I agree it is a lot of aggravation but we’re not interested in seeing LA, maybe for just a day, and we don’t have convenient flight options out of San Diego.

15 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Thanks for the input.  

I agree it is a lot of aggravation but we’re not interested in seeing LA, maybe for just a day, and we don’t have convenient flight options out of San Diego.

maybe you should check out Long Beach. It's on the other side of the Port Of Los Angeles.  There are many shops/restaurants and even a Seaport Village. Take a tour of Queen Mary and the Russian Sub.  I think you can even take a boat to Catalina Island.  Another nice spot to spend time is Newport Beach/Laguna Beach.  Very trendy.  Believe me, I understand not wanting to tour LA ( and I even live here). Unfortunately, you need a car in the LA area.  Public transport is really bad.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Out of sheer curiosity, why are you not interested in seeing "LA"? LA is not one thing, it is many things.

Easier to get to than San Diego is Laguna Beach or Huntington Beach in Orange County, in between LA and SD.

Train travel and bus travel are not common things for going long distances in Southern California. Train travel is severely limited because there is so little track. Bus travel between counties is generally time consuming and not pleasant. Greyhound even more unpleasant.

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Believe me, I understand not wanting to tour LA ( and I even live here).

I guess I don't. What do you think is so unpleasant about "LA" and what is "LA" to begin with?

On 5/20/2023 at 9:47 AM, scottca075 said:

Out of sheer curiosity, why are you not interested in seeing "LA"? LA is not one thing, it is many things.

Easier to get to than San Diego is Laguna Beach or Huntington Beach in Orange County, in between LA and SD.

Train travel and bus travel are not common things for going long distances in Southern California. Train travel is severely limited because there is so little track. Bus travel between counties is generally time consuming and not pleasant. Greyhound even more unpleasant.

I guess I don't. What do you think is so unpleasant about "LA" and what is "LA" to begin with?

LA is too congested, too sprawled out, too dirty, and not friendly.  

The only things to see/do in my opinion are:

Universal Studios ( nice way to spend a day)

Hollywood Blvd/ Kodak Theatre ( formally Chinese Theatre)

Tour of celebrity homes ( can't go in)

Olvera Street ( Origins of Los Angeles)

I have lived in Los Angeles all my life, and those are the place I recommend visitors to see.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I have lived in Los Angeles all my life, and those are the place I recommend visitors to see.

No disrespect, but I think you need to expand your horizons. The things you have listed are the LAST THINGS I'd recommend to a visitor.

What about Griffith Park, LA Zoo, Autry Museum, TravelTown, LACMA, California Science Center, La Brea Tar Pits & Page Museum, Petersen Automotive Museum, Getty Villa, Santa Monica Pier, Adamson House and Malibu Lagoon, Aquarium of the Pacific, LA Arboretum, Huntington Hartford, Original Farmer's Market, Chinatown, Abbott Kinney, Manhattan Beach, Griffith Observatory, LA Equestrian Center, Grand Central Market, Getty Center, Mulholland Drive, day trip to Catalina, Southwest Museum, Norton Simon, USS Iowa, Greystone Mansion, Victoria Robinson Gardens, architectural sights like the Disney Concert Hall, Bradbury Building, Gamble House, Bubble House, Gehry House, Angel's Flight, Spadena House, Hollyhock House, hiking trails like Runyon Canyon, Santa Ynez Falls, Bronson Caves, Angeles Crest and more. That is without leaving LA County, to say nothing of what you can do when you include Orange County.

By the way, Kodak Theatre and Chinese Theatre are not related. The former Kodak Theatre is now the Dolby Theatre, home of the Academy Awards. The former Grauman's Chinese Theatre is now the TCL Chinese Theatre. In the same area are Grauman's Egyptian Theatre and Disney's El Capitan Theatre.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For some reason, I find the phrase " In all due respect" very condescending.  My Horizons are very broad.  I was a founding member of Getty center. I was invited to opening night, have a picture of Essa Peka Soloman and Richard Gehery together. Farmers Market is nothing but q tourist trap,.  Been to LA Arboretum ( NOT in Los Angels).  Been to Huntington Library ( saw Pinky, Blue Boy, Guttenburg Bible).  Had season tickets to Pantages Theatre.  I do believe that Chinese theater was the original home to the Academy Awards ( maybe it was the Egyptian). Used to go to Grand  Central Market until the homeless made that area a waste dump.  Used to take the subway from Downtownt LA-Long Beach until I got accosted.   Maybe being in Coronado is clouding your vision, but I wold not recommend anyone to visit Los Angeles proper.   

On 5/21/2023 at 1:12 PM, 9tee2Sea said:

The only thing that might be of interest to us on this list is Olvera Street.  😅

San Diego is for the naval museums and downtown area stuff, not the Zoo or beaches.

44 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

The only thing that might be of interest to us on this list is Olvera Street.  😅

San Diego is for the naval museums and downtown area stuff, not the Zoo or beaches.

there is a restaurant near Olvera Street called Phillipes.  They claim to have originated the French Dip Sandwich there is another restaurant in Downtown LA called Coles, they also claim to have originated the French Dip

19 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

For some reason, I find the phrase " In all due respect" very condescending.

Great I find the comment "maybe being in Coronado is clouding your vision". insulting and condescending. You have no idea my history with Los Angeles or as an Angeleno.

Someone who thinks only the most touristy things to do in LA led me to believe that this was not someone who knew LA very well.

My Horizons are very broad.  I was a founding member of Getty center. I was invited to opening night, have a picture of Essa Peka Soloman and Richard Gehery together. Farmers Market is nothing but q tourist trap,.  Been to LA Arboretum ( NOT in Los Angels).  Been to Huntington Library ( saw Pinky, Blue Boy, Guttenburg Bible).  Had season tickets to Pantages Theatre.  I do believe that Chinese theater was the original home to the Academy Awards ( maybe it was the Egyptian). Used to go to Grand  Central Market until the homeless made that area a waste dump.  Used to take the subway from Downtownt LA-Long Beach until I got accosted

Yes, the Los Angeles County Arboretum is very much in Los Angeles.

The first Academy Awards was at the Roosevelt Hotel in 1929, where it was a dinner. It has actually only been in Grauman's Chinese three times in its 94 year history and the first time wasn't until 1944.

Grand Central Market is an easy walk from my office on Figueroa, and the homeless have not made it a "waste dump".

No idea who "Richard Gehery" is, but Frank Gehry, who designed the Walt Disney Concert Hall and other notable Los Angeles buildings is a graduate of USC, another site worth visiting for visitors.

The Original Farmer's Market is far from a tourist trap. When I lived on Doheny & Burton Way, I used to do a lot of shopping there for groceries as did a lot of residents in the Fairfax District.

I use the subway a lot, especially to get from my office to Langer's for lunch and other spots I need to be. Never been accosted.

I HAVE season tickets to the Hollywood Bowl, LA Opera, Broadway in Hollywood, and the Mark Taper Forum. I was also a season subscriber to the Schubert, when it was in LA.

but I wold not recommend anyone to visit Los Angeles proper.   

More's the pity.

Los Angeles is a marvelous city with many amazing sights, restaurants, entertainment and amusements.

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We are thinking of taking the LA Metro's Rapid Bus "J" (Grey) Line from the World Cruise Center cruise port to Union Station to catch the Amtrak train to San Diego (we want to experience the Amtrak train ride experience).

This is the website for the route/line: https://www.metro.net/riding/schedules/?line=910-13168 and this is the current schedule: https://www.metro.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/910-TT-06-25-23-Revised.pdf

Could anyone familiar with this line/route advise how reliable it is in the morning on a weekday?  Since we will be taking it on a weekday, we figure that there will be commuter traffic and figure since it travels on a dedicated lane that it should be more reliable than Uber/Lyft once it gets to the pick-up stop?  We are trying to avoid Uber/Lyft unless absolutely necessary in part due to uncertainty on whether we are going to have data to use this service (and want to avoid the hassle of arranging for it just for one ride).

Assuming that it is reliable and a viable option, can anyone confirm where exactly is the nearest bus stop for this line/route from the cruise terminal?  We are not sure where the exit from the terminal is and how long it should take to walk to that stop hauling one checked piece of luggage each.  Is it the southeast corner of West Offarrel Street and North Beacon Street?: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Harbor+Beacon+Park+and+Ride/@33.7465971,-118.2804395,19.25z/data=!4m9!1m2!2m1!1sHarbor+Beacon+Park+and+Ride+Stop+ID:+3124!3m5!1s0x80dd3639350e0ce9:0xbf07e7d27b3da8fb!8m2!3d33.745857!4d-118.280357!16s%2Fg%2F11g696jwdj?entry=ttu  

Once we get on, does the bus go all the way into Union Station and if not, what stop should we get off at for Union Station?

Thanks so much for any help/confirmation!

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

8 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

We are thinking of taking the LA Metro's Rapid Bus "J" (Grey) Line from the World Cruise Center cruise port to Union Station to catch the Amtrak train to San Diego (we want to experience the Amtrak train ride experience).

You are going the wrong direction. San Diego is due south of San Pedro and Union Station is due north. You are traveling the wrong direction for an hour and then have to turn around go south on the train to get to where you could have been already.

Take an Uber or taxi from San Pedro to the Anaheim (ANA) or Fullerton (FUL) Amtrak station.

Oh..... and be sure Amtrak is running to San Diego. The tracks can wash out in rain and mudslide season.

https://timesofsandiego.com/life/2023/07/11/passenger-rail-service-to-san-diego-to-resume-monday-after-oc-hillside-stabilized/

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...