From Bilbao: Laguardia or San Sebastian?

Eli_6

Our cruise ship is stopping in Bilbao. We are a family of four with children who at the time of the cruise will be 9 and 10.  Originally, my husband and I had planned on doing an excursion to Laguardia that appears to involve wine tasting on our own and leaving the kids in the kid's club on the ship. (We left the kids on the ship a couple of times last year on a UK cruise. It did not present any problems.)  However, upon looking online at various YouTube videos, etc. I thought San Sebastian looked really interesting, too.  If we went to San Sebastian, we would bring my children.  The beach looked beautiful as well as the chapel and I liked the idea of the tapa restaurants.  Any thoughts?  I enjoy beautiful scenery, history, and eating/drinking. I think my kids would enjoy the beach at San Sebastian...although, my husband dislikes large crowds so that might rule out the beach.  We are cruising in late May/early June.  Any thoughts or suggestions or recommendations?  Both of the excursions would be through the cruise ship. 

8 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Our cruise ship is stopping in Bilbao. We are a family of four with children who at the time of the cruise will be 9 and 10.  Originally, my husband and I had planned on doing an excursion to Laguardia that appears to involve wine tasting on our own and leaving the kids in the kid's club on the ship. (We left the kids on the ship a couple of times last year on a UK cruise. It did not present any problems.)  However, upon looking online at various YouTube videos, etc. I thought San Sebastian looked really interesting, too.  If we went to San Sebastian, we would bring my children.  The beach looked beautiful as well as the chapel and I liked the idea of the tapa restaurants.  Any thoughts?  I enjoy beautiful scenery, history, and eating/drinking. I think my kids would enjoy the beach at San Sebastian...although, my husband dislikes large crowds so that might rule out the beach.  We are cruising in late May/early June.  Any thoughts or suggestions or recommendations?  Both of the excursions would be through the cruise ship. 

It's a pretty long drive to San Sebastian. Is there any reason why you do not want to visit Bilbao itself ?

I liked the idea of the tapa restaurants

The historic area is good for strolling and you also  have the area around the Guggenheim as it sits alongside the river.

And you also  have plenty tapas and wine options..

You could internet search "Bilbao beaches" or "Beaches near Bilbao" and if there are  local options it would mean you don't all need to trail to (and back from) San Sebastion, which as  pointed out already, is some distance away.

And also internet search "Bilbao for kids" as ideas on sites such asTripadvisor may be more suited to adults, but do look on there too.

We actually docked outside Bilbao in an area called Getxo(SP?), which is a town in its own right and used the cruise line shuttle which dropped us next to Bilbao Old Town.  It may be worth looking online  at Getxo(sp?) tourist info as you may decide to stay there instead of venturing into Bilbao itself.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

It's a pretty long drive to San Sebastian. Is there any reason why you do not want to visit Bilbao itself ?

I watched some Youtube videos and San Sebastian seemed more up our alley.  I don't think my children will find the art museum particularly interesting, and Bilbao seemed more like a big, crowded city versus San Sebastian seemed smaller and to have more medieval architecture...and the beach looked amazing. The row of tapas restaurants/wine bars is right up my alley, too...and the "food" is up my younger son's alley.  He loves to eat.    

16 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I watched some Youtube videos and San Sebastian seemed more up our alley.  I don't think my children will find the art museum particularly interesting, and Bilbao seemed more like a big, crowded city versus San Sebastian seemed smaller and to have more medieval architecture...and the beach looked amazing. The row of tapas restaurants/wine bars is right up my alley, too...and the "food" is up my younger son's alley.  He loves to eat.    

It seems a shame to spend three hours on a bus, when there are beaches, tapas bars etc, all withi twenty minutes of the port.

• Like 2

Many times the port is a gateway to other places. 

Just as many times the port is a destination. 

This is one of them.

There are things to do for for the whole family. You can then get the kids back to the ship and the two of you can go back to town for great tapas and sightseeing,  maybe even the museum. 

Edited by marazul

I don't think my children will find the art museum particularly interesting

it wasn't suggested that your kids might enjoy the interior of the Guggenheim, only suggested that it sits on a riverside walk which is quite pleasant. The Guggenheim can be seen from the walkway and the kids might enjoy seeing this unique architectural wonder and the giant floral puppy. Its unusual structure is usually of interest to almost everrone, even should they not venture inside.. It is also fairly close to the funicular, maybe a 15 or 20 minute walk away. Would they enjoy a funicular ride?

.and you said about San Sebastian.  the beach looked amazing

As I got the impression (rightly or wrongly) you were only focused on San Sebastion and nowhere else, I actually looked up Getxo online and discovered that  it has the best beaches in the entire area, in fact several of them. Images, info  about access and facilities, and reviews of them all can be found online should you care to look. If cruise ships are still docking at Getxo, and there are several beaches there, it stands to reason that they must be quite close or at least easily accessed.  You could read about them online as it may save long journeys to and from San Sebastian for little or no benefit.

You also said The row of tapas restaurants/wine bars is right up my alley, too...and the "food" is up my younger son's alley.  He loves to eat. 

Should you care to look at local specialities, you should find statements like this one:

Bilbao is known for great pintxos (small plates), traditional Basque cuisine, and excellent seafood including salted cod prepared with garlic and olive oil (bacalao pil pil). Bilbao is also known for some of the best restaurants in the world.

And if you internet search "Balbao for kids" there are several suggestions in the results

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

If you decide to stay in Bilboa, the funicular is fun for kids. It takes you to a pretty park with views of the city. There is also a playground on the river. You walk toward the old city and will see it. You can also hop on a boat tour which they might find fun. 

The Guggenheim will be boring for them, but they may like the unique art outside of it.

Stephanie

On 8.3.2023 at 17.47, Eli_6 said:

Katsoin joitain Youtube-videoita ja San Sebastian näytti olevan enemmän meidän kujallamme. En usko, että lapseni pitävät taidemuseota erityisen kiinnostavana, ja Bilbao vaikutti enemmän suurelta, täpötäältä kaupungilta, kun taas San Sebastian näytti pienemmältä ja sillä oli enemmän keskiaikaista arkkitehtuuria... ja ranta näytti upealta. Tapas-ravintoloiden/viinibaarien rivi on myös minun kujallani...ja "ruoka" on nuoremman poikani kujalla. Hän rakastaa syödä.    

Living half of my life in Spain, I like San Sebastian more than Bilbao. You can take train and it will be less than 2 hours one way. Enjoy Spain!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 12:09 PM, bennybear said:

I love San Sebastián and the tapas bars, but the museum in Bilbao is wonderful and I think most kids would enjoy a quick visit. I’ve included photos of some of the art we saw, it is anything but stuffy. 

ED83BE40-63A4-4D9E-AB2C-3E88FA89A866.jpeg

E85E5499-C3F7-4C3E-A13A-DC3DFF7366E9.jpeg

FE054D2C-AA02-4A54-86EF-CC40ADACC121.jpeg

EA61D6DC-2CB7-431A-B4EC-87374DEAA11E.jpeg

13ED5ABC-960C-472F-8DB7-A4CCD3B38DBD.jpeg

I have to agree. It is an amazing museum! I really wasn't looking forward to it and others said it was a "must see". It is a "must see". I also debated between going to Bilbao and San Sebastian as I do love coastal cities.

There were a ton of kids in the museum that day (guessing field trip) and they all seemed to be having fun. Honestly - there were lines to a few art exhibits full of kids so I didn't get to experience it. It must have been good. I think of a white material thing that people got inside. Not sure what it was as the line was long and full of kids 🙂 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1