Buccanos?

39august

My wife and I were there last Tuesday.  The cab is $16 each way.  It's a 15 or or minute drive, depending on traffic.  Keep in mind that they don't open until 10AM Mexico time.  If you don't want to eat breakfast on the ship, leave early and try El Coctelito between Calle 10 and 12.  It was very good and we didn't have any trouble getting a cab when we were done.  When you get to Buccanos you'll pay $20 per person entry but that is credited to your food/drinks bill when you settle up.  Kenny will be there to take your money and will give you a small ticket to present when you pay.  Don't lose it.  The ambiance is much different than the beach clubs south of the pier.  There was no music at all and lots of families that didn't come from cruise ships.  Also lots of older adult ex-pats who were eating their lunch there and probably didn't care for the man made beach or pool.  Food is very good and not the bar food we had become accustomed to.  This time we got the Bucannos guacamole (again) and it was great.  We split the chicken sandwich which was OK but too much bread.  My daughter got a plate of nachos that was huge, plenty for two, and quite good.  Her bf got calamari and said it was good.  Be warned that the fish may not be white fish like we gringos may be expecting.  Last trip my friend got the fish and chips and the fish was the dark variety.  Since this is not a true beach the water is very clear and there were hundreds of fish all around us.  If you like to snorkel, this is a great place.  We don't drink alcohol so I can't comment on the quality of those, but their smoothies were very good.  When you get ready to leave Kenny will happily call you a cab.  It took like 10 minutes. 

Be sure to walk around the grounds a little.  It's a very nice place and the restrooms meet even my wife's expectations.  There is a photography studio on site as well.  We love this place and drinks and food for my wife and I amounted to like an additional $15 including tip. 

Edit to say, go to Google Maps and look at the pictures.  You can read the reviews too but many of those are for the nighttime restaurant.  The pictures are very representative of what to expect.

Edited by lifes-a-beach

1 hour ago, lifes-a-beach said:

My wife and I were there last Tuesday.  The cab is $16 each way.  It's a 15 or or minute drive, depending on traffic.  Keep in mind that they don't open until 10AM Mexico time.  If you don't want to eat breakfast on the ship, leave early and try El Coctelito between Calle 10 and 12.  It was very good and we didn't have any trouble getting a cab when we were done.  When you get to Buccanos you'll pay $20 per person entry but that is credited to your food/drinks bill when you settle up.  Kenny will be there to take your money and will give you a small ticket to present when you pay.  Don't lose it.  The ambiance is much different than the beach clubs south of the pier.  There was no music at all and lots of families that didn't come from cruise ships.  Also lots of older adult ex-pats who were eating their lunch there and probably didn't care for the man made beach or pool.  Food is very good and not the bar food we had become accustomed to.  This time we got the Bucannos guacamole (again) and it was great.  We split the chicken sandwich which was OK but too much bread.  My daughter got a plate of nachos that was huge, plenty for two, and quite good.  Her bf got calamari and said it was good.  Be warned that the fish may not be white fish like we gringos may be expecting.  Last trip my friend got the fish and chips and the fish was the dark variety.  Since this is not a true beach the water is very clear and there were hundreds of fish all around us.  If you like to snorkel, this is a great place.  We don't drink alcohol so I can't comment on the quality of those, but their smoothies were very good.  When you get ready to leave Kenny will happily call you a cab.  It took like 10 minutes. 

Be sure to walk around the grounds a little.  It's a very nice place and the restrooms meet even my wife's expectations.  There is a photography studio on site as well.  We love this place and drinks and food for my wife and I amounted to like an additional $15 including tip. 

Edit to say, go to Google Maps and look at the pictures.  You can read the reviews too but many of those are for the nighttime restaurant.  The pictures are very representative of what to expect.

+1.

It’s been a while since we were there. I have always wondered how they squeezed  Island Beach club in next door. I used to walk from Buccanos to Playa Azul. I was looking recently at some photos and was wondering if Buccanos had sold some of their land to next door? Buccanos used to have a  a climbing tower/ (maybe zip line) that was used for cruise excursions but the only one I see now is on the Islands site.

We used to like the loungers on the terraces above the water, (towards Playa Azul) past the massage areas but the whole  Buccanos site looks much smaller now. Since you have wandered the grounds, is that correct?

we like La Monina and Hemingway’s across from El Coctelito.

Edited by c-leg5

What you are describing was before our time but there is still a zip line tower on the Island Beach Club side.  Buccanos pretty small compared to Paradise Beach or the like.  La Monica looks pretty good.  May have to try them.  Wife is heading out again mid-April with a friend.  They return the same day that she and I depart so she will be down there twice in April.  

Thanks!

I need to go and check out the current set up. It wasn’t until I saw a recent wide angle photo that It suddenly occurred to me it looks much smaller. I am glad if the cruise line excursions have stopped going there (for selfish reasons) and glad they have reverted to a one entrance charge for all system credited to food and drink, even íf it is higher -  it isn’t unreasonable. It was the discrimination against cruisers that stopped us going unless we were staying on the island. I am sorry if the terraced loungers have gone but i like the pool so I will survive!

we like La Monina downstairs to sit quietly on the loungers with a drink ( happy hour 12-5) and watch the ocean and read. It is not somewhere i would recommend as a replacement for Buccanos as it has no pool etc. but we like it occasionally while staying on the island for a quiet afternoon. However it (and Hemingway’s) are worth trying for breakfast upstairs in the restaurant for view. El Coctelito always looks too noisy for us but admit we have never tried breakfast. Also check out the new church on the median near La Monina if you have time to spare.

One of our favorite breakfast/ lunch is Ahora y Ahora on the sea front but you have to be able to climb the quirky staircase at the back to the rooftop! Lots of good breakfast places on Cozumel.

We did a land vacation and discovered this place and absolutely loved it! We went snorkeling several times, jumped from the dock into the water, swam at the large pool, ate and chilled several times there on our vacation because we liked it so much. 

You can see tons of pictures of the place on my travel blog HERE and HERE. We did walk next door (where the zip lines were at) and the place was closed down. I'm not sure if they have opened back up (place was deserted, pool green, over grown some) since they closed for COVID back in 2020.

56 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

We did a land vacation and discovered this place and absolutely loved it! We went snorkeling several times, jumped from the dock into the water, swam at the large pool, ate and chilled several times there on our vacation because we liked it so much. 

You can see tons of pictures of the place on my travel blog HERE and HERE. We did walk next door (where the zip lines were at) and the place was closed down. I'm not sure if they have opened back up (place was deserted, pool green, over grown some) since they closed for COVID back in 2020.

yes they reopened