Is the style of entertainment on Viking Ocean changing somewhat?

OnTheJourney

Never thought I'd hear "Sweet Caroline" on a Viking ship (complete with the ubiquitous "so good...so good...so good" as people waved their arms and sang along. I can get that on RCL. More production-type shows in the theatre the way it seems, along with comedians and other types of acts. Just didn't expect that.  I suppose, from surveys, this is what people are maybe indicating they want. Also never expected to hear Sophia playing pop and show tunes on the piano.  Way below her extraordinary ability level for one thing. I'm thinking they are trying to appeal to a different (younger) demographic maybe? Hope they don't change the lovely and subdued new-age-type music being played in the dining room and world cafe in favor of louder and more distracting pop music.  Anybody else notice a slightly different change during their sailings? 

• Like 3

Woo Hoo!!!  That is excellent news!!   I could not sit through another Abba or Beatles show.  I have seen those 4 times and 3 were too many!! 🙂   I have a Norway-Iceland cruise in July so I am looking forward to different entertainment.   Thank you Viking for making a change.  It is greatly appreciated.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Woo Hoo!!!  That is excellent news!!   I could not sit through another Abba or Beatles show.  I have seen those 4 times and 3 were too many!! 🙂   I have a Norway-Iceland cruise in July so I am looking forward to different entertainment.   Thank you Viking for making a change.  It is greatly appreciated.

Don't get your hopes up. It was the same on our cruise in January and Abba is mandatory if traveling to Scandinavia.

I really don't care since IMO all cruise ship entertainment is horrid and is to be avoided at all costs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

I could not sit through another Abba or Beatles show.

I think you missed or else misinterpreted my point. The Beatles and Abba show were exactly what we saw. But then the onboard vocalists and instrumentalists also did a few other shows that are more pop-oriented. A solo singer did a show too - can't recall her name. What we saw and heard, while good, were not quite what I expected to see on Viking. 

The other thing is...the ship felt louder than usual. Larger groups would come in for dinner (table of 6) and became quite noisy every night. Too much alcohol? In general, a louder, more boisterous feel to it at times. Goes along with another thread here on CC about a decline in behavioral standards I suppose. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Don't get your hopes up. It was the same on our cruise in January and Abba is mandatory if traveling to Scandinavia.

I really don't care since IMO all cruise ship entertainment is horrid and is to be avoided at all costs.

I can dream!!!  If it is Abba and Beatles, I will be avoiding the theater like the plague.  Those were both horrid in my opinion.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

t was the same on our cruise in January and Abba is mandatory if traveling to Scandinavia.

LOL..exactly!  Beatles show was surely good, as was Abba, but I hoped for a bit more intimate, subdued entertainment a few nights. The comedian the one night was really bad. I don't think RCL would have even accepted him. The broadway singer was a prima donna - really liked herself. She was good also, but too glitzy (literally) and over-the-top. She indicated at the start that she likes to really "belt it out"...sure enough. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Just now, OnTheJourney said:

Yeah but this was Italy, Greece, and Israel. How about a bit of entertainment that matched the culture and places we were visiting? 

Since entertainment hasn't changed in years, I have a feeling this is being dictated by corporate. It makes the performers interchangeable. Assembly Line entertainment for the masses.

Yes, but we have had guitar soloists, comedians, and magicians on recent cruises.  Change from our original Viking entertainment which was the same group of four performers every night except for the Cruise Directors show.

I have complained about ABBA and the Beatles and discovered that this is corporate standard and the ship has no choice in these line ups.

8 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Yes, but we have had guitar soloists, comedians, and magicians on recent cruises.  Change from our original Viking entertainment which was the same group of four performers every night except for the Cruise Directors show.

We had a "card ninja" magician/comedian and we watched from our room. It was 10 minutes before the first joke and we turned it off. Never did see any card tricks. Bad soloists, comedians, and magicians are still bad. Volume doesn't make up for it. Cruise directors are wannabe performers. I'll skip the lame amateur hour and watch a movie or lecture replay instead.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

ABBA and the Beatles were good the first time I saw them but cruise after cruise they have become shows that I have to avoid. Viking need to find a new format for the theatre. They also need to review menus in Mamsens and other restaurants. Like many people, I love Viking and am loyal to them but I clamour for variety.

• Like 4

The one thing I like about the Abba and Beatles productions is that many people go to them and it leaves the Explorer lounge blissfully quiet for us to enjoy drinks and admire the scenery. The bar crew aren't so busy so we can get to know them and it's a lovely time onboard. And then, the crowd hits. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

need to review menus in Mamsens and other restaurants.

OH NO, not Mamsen. it is a delicious Scandinavian deli.  Love  it all, including liverposti for lunch, herring for breakfast, all the desserts, Success cake! and all the rest. I have yet to try the pea soup late in the evening. My next cruise has no sea days, so I do not think I will be up at Explore lounge at 10:30 pm.

Tak!

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We had a "card ninja" magician/comedian and we watched from our room. It was 10 minutes before the first joke and we turned it off. Never did see any card tricks. Bad soloists, comedians, and magicians are still bad. Volume doesn't make up for it. Cruise directors are wannabe performers. I'll skip the lame amateur hour and watch a movie or lecture replay instead.

All very well said and true enough!!  We didn't go to the cruise director's show. I agree on catching up with port talks and lectures that we missed by being out on excursions. 

29 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

review menus in Mamsens

Nope...I say keep it the way it is cause it's already something different and unique. Some of the other more typical food choices I can get in World Cafe. 

52 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Assembly Line entertainment for the masses.

Less so on Viking...I thought anyway....until probably more recently. 

46 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

and the ship has no choice in these line ups.

But corporate has a choice in what they want to bring on the ships. I still say they're responding to surveys that are clamoring for more pop-style entertainment similar to what is typically found on more mainstream lines. And, as I said, a change in the crowd behavior as to being quite loud and animated at times - maybe I just got unlucky as to who was sitting next to us but it was pretty much every night once the groups of 6 came in. Nice and quiet when we came in the dining room around 6:00 but by the time we finished eating the place was rocking. 

We don't care what shows are on in the theatre, we don't go in there. The problem we encountered was incessant, repetitive and mediocre live music in the bars. We are happy to avoid a one off show in a bar or lounge by going to one of the others, but if in all at the same time this is impossible.

Same sets every evening. For 14 nights. Broken up by pub singer type performances. 

We noticed there were groups who appeared to have lower standards of behaviour and dress than was previously usual on Viking, certainly some passengers seemed to have much lower expectations and were prepared to applaud anything. 

Seems to us that Viking are chasing the megaship demographic to fill the ships, not caring that they are losing their main selling point, or that other lines are improving their offer.

Customer service was abysmal compared to pre covid. 

One example of the changes is the explorer reception in the atrium. In the past this was a drinks and nibbles hour with a welcome from the cruise director and a few songs from the band. 

Now it's a pantomime like anybody here from . . .? cheering and shouting event with congratulations to the passenger with the most nights on Viking (good for them, but why would we be interested) followed by a sales pitch from the bookings rep and the worst rendition of Moon River I've ever heard, and I've seen a few dire acts over the years. 

• Like 2

We joined in with the Sweet Caroline singalong. It is an ashes year, and rugby internationals were on. Americans nearby were aghast when told that in the UK it's usually only sung by well lubricated crowds at sports events

9 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

We don't care what shows are on in the theatre, we don't go in there. The problem we encountered was incessant, repetitive and mediocre live music in the bars. We are happy to avoid a one off show in a bar or lounge by going to one of the others, but if in all at the same time this is impossible.

Same sets every evening. For 14 nights. Broken up by pub singer type performances. 

We noticed there were groups who appeared to have lower standards of behaviour and dress than was previously usual on Viking, certainly some passengers seemed to have much lower expectations and were prepared to applaud anything. 

Seems to us that Viking are chasing the megaship demographic to fill the ships, not caring that they are losing their main selling point, or that other lines are improving their offer.

Customer service was abysmal compared to pre covid. 

One example of the changes is the explorer reception in the atrium. In the past this was a drinks and nibbles hour with a welcome from the cruise director and a few songs from the band. 

Now it's a pantomime like anybody here from . . .? cheering and shouting event with congratulations to the passenger with the most nights on Viking (good for them, but why would we be interested) followed by a sales pitch from the bookings rep and the worst rendition of Moon River I've ever heard, and I've seen a few dire acts over the years. 

Guess we lucky. We never go to the shows, but last summer there was an excellent guitarist in the Explorer’s Lounge in the evening, We went there after dinner and enjoyed his music, quiet conversation and maybe something to drink while enjoying the scenery. A nice way to end the day.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

We joined in with the Sweet Caroline singalong.

Nope....I'm done with that. It's a good song, as many that Neil wrote, but the use of it on cruises turned me off to it at this point! 

11 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Well stated...I enjoyed your entire post as well!  

2 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

there was an excellent guitarist in the Explorer’s Lounge in the evening

That would very possibly be the same guitarist that is frequently on their ships. During the near fateful day on the Sky on March 23, 2019, the guitarist (same guy I'm referring to) was doing "My Heart will go On" during lunch (LOL)..while the ship is already starting to toss and turn. That was probably the last musical selection played during what was left of that cruise...which wasn't much. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On Orion pre covid there was an excellent guitarist and a pianist. They did one set each in each lounge every day. They were at a 'background' volume and varied with a something for everyone type playlist. We were hoping for more of the same

5 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

The other thing is...the ship felt louder than usual. Larger groups would come in for dinner (table of 6) and became quite noisy every night. Too much alcohol? In general, a louder, more boisterous feel to it at times. Goes along with another thread here on CC about a decline in behavioral standards I suppose. 

OMG, passengers having fun on a cruise vacation that doesn't fit with your standards......this is madness and must be stopped....😀  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, tocruiseguy said:

OMG, passengers having fun on a cruise vacation that doesn't fit with your standards......this is madness and must be stopped....😀  

Not just my standards. I’m not even sure that it’s a matter of meeting anyone’s standards per se but rather just a general observation. Behavior in a dining room should be a bit more respectfully quiet and reserved as opposed to being in a noisy bar. 

• Like 2

Not being a lover of big glitzy show productions I have to say that I throughly enjoyed the entertainment on Viking Sky in December and thought it was the best yet.

It was the first cruise for the four young singers who do the night time shows .

Four young Brits whose style and level of performance went down well .

The magician was very entertaining and sociable and got huge rounds of applause.

Audience behaviour did not seem any different to any other theatre venue.

I must just add that the band leader of the Viking Band was world class, a revelation on his trumpet.

• Like 2

Agreed that the vocalists did a great job. Band is always good, on any cruise line I’ve sailed with. No brass players on the Sky last month though and so lots of parts dubbed in. It was basically just a rhythm section that accompanied the singers. Might have been a different magician. The one on our sailing was ok but not up to others we’ve seen. At least one show that reflected the local culture would have been nice. That’s why I said the overall feel seems to be going more mainstream. 

Edited by OnTheJourney