Please share your DO NOT MISS sights and excursions for Empires of the Med

hensus

15 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

Are you on the May 31st sailing?  We've got a roll call on that.

Yes, we are on the may 31 sailing. I will check out the roll call and post a reply.  Thanks.

• Like 1

This was our first ocean cruise, and we were thrilled with our choice of Viking and this itinerary in particular. 

If your physical capabilities allow, then the hike up to the Acropolis and all of Dubrovnik (especially the walk around the medieval walls) are must sees in my opinion. I only walked half way around the wall in Dubrovnik, and then met my husband back down below because the many many stairs are challenging, but so worth it in my opinion. 

Santorini remains one of my favorite all time places, which was aided by our early spring visit when the Star was the only ship in port. A few places weren't even open for the season yet, and some shopkeepers were still doing their spring housecleaning, but having the place pretty much to ourselves was magical. 

Koper Slovenia was a difficult choice, because I wanted to go on two different excursions which was not possible. I still would like to see Ljubljana, but we really enjoyed Predjama Castle and Postojna Caves. I am a castle fanatic, and that one was really unusual. 

I am hopeful you enjoy this cruise as much as we did!

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 3:57 PM, lackcreativity said:

This was our first ocean cruise, and we were thrilled with our choice of Viking and this itinerary in particular. 

If your physical capabilities allow, then the hike up to the Acropolis and all of Dubrovnik (especially the walk around the medieval walls) are must sees in my opinion. I only walked half way around the wall in Dubrovnik, and then met my husband back down below because the many many stairs are challenging, but so worth it in my opinion. 

Santorini remains one of my favorite all time places, which was aided by our early spring visit when the Star was the only ship in port. A few places weren't even open for the season yet, and some shopkeepers were still doing their spring housecleaning, but having the place pretty much to ourselves was magical. 

Koper Slovenia was a difficult choice, because I wanted to go on two different excursions which was not possible. I still would like to see Ljubljana, but we really enjoyed Predjama Castle and Postojna Caves. I am a castle fanatic, and that one was really unusual. 

I am hopeful you enjoy this cruise as much as we did!

While we're anchored in Santorini, there are going to be 5 other cruise ships there, so really not looking forward to trying to maneuver ashore!  

We're doing the Predjama Castle/Postojna Caves tour too - it says there is a meal but doesn't say where/when.  Where did you go?

24 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

We're doing the Predjama Castle/Postojna Caves tour too - it says there is a meal but doesn't say where/when.  Where did you go?

Jamski Dvorec was the restaurant they used for this tour in May 2019.   A restaurant right next to the Postojna Cave entrance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

While we're anchored in Santorini, there are going to be 5 other cruise ships there, so really not looking forward to trying to maneuver ashore!  

The meal was in the hotel dining room that is located at the caves. The meal was satisfactory, but not special. If I remember correctly, the caves are in a pretty isolated area. I should say that our trip was six years ago, so I don't know if the dining arrangements are still the same.

Edited by lackcreativity

1 hour ago, hensus said:

I am looking at the excursion to Krka National Park..,has anyone been there?  I'm wondering if it is too far to go in the time we have.

We have booked this excursion with Viking out of Zadar:

Krka National Park & Dubrava Falconry Center

It is from 8:30-3:30 and the ship departs Zadar at 4:00.  I think it is just less than an hour from the port.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/10/2023 at 2:40 PM, millybess said:

We have booked this excursion with Viking out of Zadar:

Krka National Park & Dubrava Falconry Center

It is from 8:30-3:30 and the ship departs Zadar at 4:00.  I think it is just less than an hour from the port.

How was the Krka excursion and Falconry Center?  We're trying to decide which of the 2 Krka options to book:  "Krka National Park & Zadar" or "Krka National Park & Dubrava Falconry Center".

12 minutes ago, SailingDeb2001 said:

How was the Krka excursion and Falconry Center?  We're trying to decide which of the 2 Krka options to book:  "Krka National Park & Zadar" or "Krka National Park & Dubrava Falconry Center".

We loved the Falconry Center.  It was one of our most favourite excursions on our 3 week cruise.  The Krka National Park was fairly ordinary for us and not worth the trip down and up.  If we were to do it again, we would just book a private tour to the Falconry Center and skip Krka Falls.

However, many people here really enjoyed the Krka Falls.  Much has been written on this topic recently and if you search "Krka", I think you will find many opinions from others who have been on these excursions.

Enjoy! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, millybess said:

We loved the Falconry Center.  It was one of our most favourite excursions on our 3 week cruise.  The Krka National Park was fairly ordinary for us and not worth the trip down and up.  If we were to do it again, we would just book a private tour to the Falconry Center and skip Krka Falls.

However, many people here really enjoyed the Krka Falls.  Much has been written on this topic recently and if you search "Krka", I think you will find many opinions from others who have been on these excursions.

Enjoy! 

Thanks for the info and quick response!

1 hour ago, millybess said:

Enjoy! 

I haven't found a private tour of the falconry center yet! No, I haven't spent hours searching, but in my normal searches, I didn't see anything yet. It's on our list for our cruise, but not sure if it will sell out before we can book.

On 1/21/2024 at 6:02 PM, millybess said:

Enjoy! 

I wonder if there is such a thing. Been looking.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 9:05 PM, kctwinmommy said:

I haven't found a private tour of the falconry center yet! No, I haven't spent hours searching, but in my normal searches, I didn't see anything yet. It's on our list for our cruise, but not sure if it will sell out before we can book.

I'm not sure if this will help:

https://www.vipholidaybooker.com/en/blog/day-falconry-center-dubrava-sibenik

5 hours ago, millybess said:

Yeah, that doesn't really give me any private tours for it. It does have their website, which can't be translated according to my browser. So not much help either. I'm going to just cross my fingers that we can get it booked through the cruise. Thank you though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

Yeah, that doesn't really give me any private tours for it. It does have their website, which can't be translated according to my browser. So not much help either. I'm going to just cross my fingers that we can get it booked through the cruise. Thank you though.

A couple on our Viking Sea cruise last year did a private tour just to the Falconry Centre.  They spent half a day there and had much more interaction with the birds than we had because if was a much longer tour.  I wish I could help you out further and had the information.  If it's something you're really interested in, keep searching.

If you want to do both the Falconry Centre and Krka Falls, I would suggest that when you are climbing back up Krka Falls, you ascend the same way you descended.  @TayanaLorna the idea of climbing back up via the way you descended is something I should have expressed in our emails.😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

Get the Google translate app for your phone.  Pick the languages then aim your camera  at the words on your computer screen.  Read the translation on your phone.  Use same for menus when you travel. 

• Like 1