Do we need a high voltage extension cord?

QueenofEverything

2 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@Kenstercan you help? Seems to me you take an extension cord when you travel. 

@QueenofEverything, I'm not sure about a cpap machine, but would a travel adaptor work to downgrade the voltage?

There IS an outlet on one side of the bed. Usually on the OTHER side. That’s why I bring the extension cord.  An ADAPTER does NOT change the voltage. Only a CONVERTER changes the voltage. But it’s highly unlikely that you need to convert voltage for your CPAP. Almost all devices made in the past 20 or so years are dual voltage. (With the possible exception of curling irons). Check the label on the back or bottom of your CPAP. I can almost guarantee that it’ll show 110v-220v. Or something very close. 

You’ll definitely need an adapter or two. 
they’re cheap on Amazon. Get one that will accept two or three electrical items as well as USB devices. 

C4597684-D232-4847-8FCC-4A8CF9B7C85B.jpeg

3 hours ago, QueenofEverything said:

We will be on an Avalon river cruise next month.  The ship only has 220 power and no plugs next to the bed.  Will we need a special extension cord for a dual voltage cpap machine?  I see the ones we have are only rated for 125v.

I’ve always used only a household, lightweight cord. It has worked fine for about 25 European trips, including five Avalon cruises. 

45 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Sorry, Kennster & QueenofEverything, I did mean converter, but have adapter in my mind. 

You need an adapter. The one I posted above, or similar, is great. 
any American type plug will work with it. 

52 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I can’t speak for other lines, but Viking does not permit the use of extension cords:

20190826-Prohibited-Item-List.pdf?_gl=1*

I’ve been using CPAPs for close to 20 years and never had to use an extension cord on any cruise ship.

She’s on Avalon. Not Viking.  Avalon allow’s extension cords. 

On 3/10/2023 at 1:54 PM, QueenofEverything said:

Right - the CPAP is dual voltage.  My concern is the extension cord.

What kind of extension cord is it?  Is it the "flat" type of cord, like a lamp cord, with two prong outlets and plugs?  If so, I would not use it for 220v.  If it is the "round" type like you would use outdoors, even if it is rated for 120v, it should be fine for a relatively low current draw appliance like a CPAP when using it for 220v.  When used at the higher voltage, the current draw is also halved, so this reduces heat load in the cord.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

What kind of extension cord is it?  Is it the "flat" type of cord, like a lamp cord, with two prong outlets and plugs?  If so, I would not use it for 220v.  If it is the "round" type like you would use outdoors, even if it is rated for 120v, it should be fine for a relatively low current draw appliance like a CPAP when using it for 220v.  When used at the higher voltage, the current draw is also halved, so this reduces heat load in the cord.

Thanks so much for responding.  I was hoping you would as I have read many of your very informative previous posts.  Can you tell me what would be the best kind for this purpose?  I am happy to purchase the correct type of cord for this trip.

11 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Thanks so much for responding.  I was hoping you would as I have read many of your very informative previous posts.  Can you tell me what would be the best kind for this purpose?  I am happy to purchase the correct type of cord for this trip.

Something like this type:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cord-feet-Black/dp/B075BMVZ2N/ref=sr_1_5?crid=WYXBPEQ6DW7O&keywords=extension+cord&nav_sdd=aps&qid=1678651217&refinements=p_36%3A1253528011&rnid=1243644011&s=hi&sprefix=exten&sr=1-5

@QueenofEverythingyou didn't say where you are cruising. On the European ships, there usually is an electrical outlet on the side of the bed against the wall. I know this, because I make sure I get my side of the bed on the wall because I tend to be on my tablet longer than DH, and don't want to disturb him plugging it in to charge. If you know your cabin #, and do the virtual tour of the ship on Avalon's site, you can check out which side of the bed will have the outlet. You never know, you may be lucky and not need the extension cord.

5 hours ago, Daisi said:

@QueenofEverythingyou didn't say where you are cruising. On the European ships, there usually is an electrical outlet on the side of the bed against the wall. I know this, because I make sure I get my side of the bed on the wall because I tend to be on my tablet longer than DH, and don't want to disturb him plugging it in to charge. If you know your cabin #, and do the virtual tour of the ship on Avalon's site, you can check out which side of the bed will have the outlet. You never know, you may be lucky and not need the extension cord.

That's a good idea, thanks!

• Like 1

I’m sitting in a hotel room in Sorrento Italy using a floor lamp that has a cord that looks similar to the 18 gauge lamp cords I use at home. A CPAP typically has a wattage about like a light bulb. It doesn’t seem like a “normal” 16 gauge extension card would be a risk. 

5 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I’m sitting in a hotel room in Sorrento Italy using a floor lamp that has a cord that looks similar to the 18 gauge lamp cords I use at home. A CPAP typically has a wattage about like a light bulb. It doesn’t seem like a “normal” 16 gauge extension card would be a risk. 

The wire gauge is what determines the amperage that the wire can carry, and an appliance will draw 1/2 the amperage when operating on 220v than it does on 120v.  So, the Italian floor lamp draws less current than a US one.  The voltage rating on a cord depends on the insulation rating of the rubber/plastic insulation.  That is why I don't recommend that a 120v 18awg extension cord be used on 220v.  It most likely would carry the voltage without damage to the insulation, but it may not.  The heavier insulation used on the 14awg "round wire" extension cord has more/better insulation.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...