San Diego information

Coloradohawk

There are dozens of threads here on hotels. There are about 8 hotels within 5 or 6 blocks of the pier, each with their fans. We like Embassy Suites. 

You can make an 11:20 flight.

I am writing this from western Colorado...Glenwood Springs,  to be exact.

• Haha 1

Always nice to know budget, but the Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites and InterContinental are directly across the street from the cruise terminal. The Residence Inn and SpringHill Suites are in the same building, the RI is the front half, SS back half. See the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/cvLV1R2mE4Eih4Ne8

More budget friendly is the Best Western Plus Bayside, La Pensione and Hampton Inn Pacific Highway.

If you walk off, 11:20AM is fine. The airport isn't even 3 miles away.

https://goo.gl/maps/8rWjKxSgQze7T3GNA

29 minutes ago, Coloradohawk said:

Visiting Glenwood Springs?  Snowy day and night for you.  We got quite a bit of rain here in Grand Junction today.

Just passing through.  In Vegas tomorrow.  We had a little snow mid afternoon..didn't stick. Pool was very nice.

12 hours ago, Coloradohawk said:

First time out of San Diego.  Is an 11:20 flight home a reasonable time or should I look for a later flight?  Any hotel recommendations?

Since SAN is not a big cruise port, the impact on it is not as great as someplace like Fort Launderdale, which can be a mess when the ships come in.  Thus, getting off the ship and catching a 15 minute taxi ride to the airport is quick and should get you there in plenty of time for an 11:20 flight (I have done this many times).

Hotels - I like to pick one that is walkable to the pier the next morning.  My favorites are the Springhill Suites/Residence Inn across the street and the Embassy Suites about 5 blocks away.  Hampton Inn (3 blocks) is less expensive, but a bit older and you need to ask for a front facing room (train runs behind the hotel).  I have stayed at all three and would do so again.

• Like 2

Last month we stayed at the SpringHill Suites right across from the cruise terminal and it was fantastic! Super easy walk across the street at a traffic light with crosswalk to the terminal. Took less than 5 minutes. Also, tons of restaurants up and down the shore within walking distance.

As for the flight, we walked off the ship after a leisurely breakfast bringing our rolling bags with us and were at the airport within 12 minutes of debarking. Big caveats are that we kept all of our luggage with us, we had our passports ready to be reviewed by customs when we walked off, and there were no delays with customs holding the ship or delaying debarkation. Cabs are plentiful at the port, the cab stand is right outside the terminal doors, and then it is a super short drive to the airport. My wife noted for future trips that we easily made it to the airport before 9:30 without rushing or zero stress.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We are currently on Eurodam due to disembark in SD on Monday.  We are picking up a rental car to drive up to LA County where our daughter is spending a year in college on exchange from the UK.

The rental pick up is v near the cruise terminal but we have 5 pieces of luggage plus backpacks and I have limited mobility (can walk but am very slow and have a stick).

I am thinking a taxi is not going to want to do a trip less than a mile.  

Could we collect the luggage and then have me wait at a pick up for my husband to collect the car and then pick me up? Is that even allowed?

Any other thoughts?

When we got off a Disney cruise a couple of years ago, there was a waiting area near the off ramp, but  may be gone due to construction.

When we got off Holland America recently, we turned left on the sidewalk and walked for 3-4 minutes past the disembarkation area.  Once clear, there is public parking, with benches on the sidewalk.   If you can walk that far and manage your bags, you could easily wait for your husband to pick you up.  
Good luck.  

1 hour ago, HelloKittysMum said:

We are currently on Eurodam due to disembark in SD on Monday.  We are picking up a rental car to drive up to LA County where our daughter is spending a year in college on exchange from the UK.

The rental pick up is v near the cruise terminal but we have 5 pieces of luggage plus backpacks and I have limited mobility (can walk but am very slow and have a stick).

I am thinking a taxi is not going to want to do a trip less than a mile.  

Could we collect the luggage and then have me wait at a pick up for my husband to collect the car and then pick me up? Is that even allowed?

Just tip the cab driver well. He should not mind too much, the airport is only 2 1/2 miles.

5 hours ago, LynnSD said:

When we got off a Disney cruise a couple of years ago, there was a waiting area near the off ramp, but  may be gone due to construction.

When we got off Holland America recently, we turned left on the sidewalk and walked for 3-4 minutes past the disembarkation area.  Once clear, there is public parking, with benches on the sidewalk.   If you can walk that far and manage your bags, you could easily wait for your husband to pick you up.  
Good luck.  

I could walk that far but not manage bags and my husband can't manage 5 bags alone.

• Like 1

In case anyone comes across this I  future.

I contacted the accessibility email at the port (details on the website) and got this reply 

I received the following from our Cruise team…

The customer will have no issue with this; She can wait at the terminal for her husband to return with the rental car.

Will report back on how it works out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HelloKittysMum said:

We actually got an uber to the avis and then picked up our car which worked fine.

Avis at the airport facility or Avis in Little Italy? Avis in Little Italy is just over a 1/2 mile from the cruise pier.

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2023 at 6:05 PM, scottca075 said:

Avis at the airport facility or Avis in Little Italy? Avis in Little Italy is just over a 1/2 mile from the cruise pier.

I have found off airport rental locations cheaper also.