Just off the Apex - Review of Western Caribbean sailing

orangedec10

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

orangedec10 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I read many reviews and posts on the Apex before our cruise, so I thought I would return the favor and share my review of my recent sailing on the Apex.

First off, we found the ship to be modern and sleek.  Unlike other ships, the Apex has several “main dining rooms” if you will and all were excellent. I liked the ability to be seated with only my party and enjoyed getting to experience each dining room. The food was mostly great and the service was excellent. We did not make reservations via the app and never had to wait.  Also, I realize this is a polarizing issue here, but the dress code was truly only loosely enforced. I wore flip flops most nights, dressed presentable and all was well! I also noticed chic night was really presented by the cruise director as “wear what makes you feel good” so no need to buy a gown or try to dig an old one out of the closet if you not so inclined. Dress decently and you’ll be fine.

We did try three specialty dining options - Eden which was great, Le Grand Bistro which was good and the Rooftop grill which unless you have a strong desire to eat outside, I’d pass on. It just didn’t seem to offer anything special and the service was honestly better in the four main dining rooms.

We bought the premium beverage package. I think on most days celebrity “won” so to speak, so I am not sure I’d spend the money that way again. That said, our wine glasses were never empty at dinner and we could always get room at the martini or sunset bar.  Also, loved the lates at Cafe Al Bacio.

Our bid for move up was accepted so we stayed in a infinite veranda. I know I’m in the minority here, but I loved the room layout. The room seemed larger and we liked the chance to let some fresh air in the room. Yes, it does make the room a bit warmer, but it didn’t bother us.  Everything is automated and we loved the “movie” light setting when we just wanted to relax or read on the kindle.

The shows on the ship we’re more exciting than I’ve seen previously…think live musicians and notable magician and while I enjoyed them, I thought the material felt a bit….dated.   For example, the featured artist played big band music, one show featured Divas…but from a time before I was born. It maybe time for Celebrity to consider offering entertainment that may appeal to a broader audience.

The pool is big, one of the largest I’ve seen on a cruise ship. We sailed with our four year old son and he loved swimming every day.  We packed a swim vest, but we didn’t need it as there were kids life vests offered.  Chair hogs were in full force and we actually experienced some real nasty behavior from a fellow passenger who thought our time with a lounger should be over. I guess it’s laughable now, but do get there early!  I was swayed by some reviews I read not to book a cabana, but looking back I wish I had, especially for a sea day.

Lastly, since we cruised with a kiddo I thought I would share my two cents on it. This ship doesn’t have the bells and whistles for kids that other lines may have, but for us this worked better. Our kiddo is just as happy swimming, exploring the ship and eating at scoops as he would be using a water slide. The crew went out of their way to make sure dining was a stress free and fun experience for us. If your on the fence with booking with Celebrity with a family, don’t stress, it will be fine and a fun time for all!

Hopefully that helps someone out there and I am happy to answer any questions!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, orangedec10 said:

I read many reviews and posts on the Apex before our cruise, so I thought I would return the favor and share my review of my recent sailing on the Apex.

First off, we found the ship to be modern and sleek.  Unlike other ships, the Apex has several “main dining rooms” if you will and all were excellent. I liked the ability to be seated with only my party and enjoyed getting to experience each dining room. The food was mostly great and the service was excellent. We did not make reservations via the app and never had to wait.  Also, I realize this is a polarizing issue here, but the dress code was truly only loosely enforced. I wore flip flops most nights, dressed presentable and all was well! I also noticed chic night was really presented by the cruise director as “wear what makes you feel good” so no need to buy a gown or try to dig an old one out of the closet if you not so inclined. Dress decently and you’ll be fine.

We did try three specialty dining options - Eden which was great, Le Grand Bistro which was good and the Rooftop grill which unless you have a strong desire to eat outside, I’d pass on. It just didn’t seem to offer anything special and the service was honestly better in the four main dining rooms.

We bought the premium beverage package. I think on most days celebrity “won” so to speak, so I am not sure I’d spend the money that way again. That said, our wine glasses were never empty at dinner and we could always get room at the martini or sunset bar.  Also, loved the lates at Cafe Al Bacio.

Our bid for move up was accepted so we stayed in a infinite veranda. I know I’m in the minority here, but I loved the room layout. The room seemed larger and we liked the chance to let some fresh air in the room. Yes, it does make the room a bit warmer, but it didn’t bother us.  Everything is automated and we loved the “movie” light setting when we just wanted to relax or read on the kindle.

The shows on the ship we’re more exciting than I’ve seen previously…think live musicians and notable magician and while I enjoyed them, I thought the material felt a bit….dated.   For example, the featured artist played big band music, one show featured Divas…but from a time before I was born. It maybe time for Celebrity to consider offering entertainment that may appeal to a broader audience.

The pool is big, one of the largest I’ve seen on a cruise ship. We sailed with our four year old son and he loved swimming every day.  We packed a swim vest, but we didn’t need it as there were kids life vests offered.  Chair hogs were in full force and we actually experienced some real nasty behavior from a fellow passenger who thought our time with a lounger should be over. I guess it’s laughable now, but do get there early!  I was swayed by some reviews I read not to book a cabana, but looking back I wish I had, especially for a sea day.

Lastly, since we cruised with a kiddo I thought I would share my two cents on it. This ship doesn’t have the bells and whistles for kids that other lines may have, but for us this worked better. Our kiddo is just as happy swimming, exploring the ship and eating at scoops as he would be using a water slide. The crew went out of their way to make sure dining was a stress free and fun experience for us. If your on the fence with booking with Celebrity with a family, don’t stress, it will be fine and a fun time for all!

Hopefully that helps someone out there and I am happy to answer any questions!

We just got off this cruise also. Had a good time,no complaints.  However I agree with you on the shows.  Fine Cut steakhouse was excellent as was Luminae.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stevetod said:

I will be on he Apex on 3/25. Who is the captain and cruise director?

Yay! You’ll have a blast. The cruise director’s name is Brittany Hydra, not sure off hand of the captain’s name.

25 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

How was the tendering process at Grand Cayman?  Did you go there? Will be on the Apex in April.

Yes, we did stop at Grand Cayman. The tendering process was easy but I suspect that was because we booked an excursion with Celebrity. Those who had booked excursions got to bored the tender first. If not booked with an excursion, passengers must get a tender ticket and then take the tender as their ticket is called.  In case it helpful, the tender ride to Grand Cayman was much shorter than to Belize.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.

Is the tender to Belize on Apex's tender boats or the from shoreside?

We had our 4 year old on Edge last year, and in a few weeks our 5 year old will be with us on Apex.  Our assessment re enough for a 4 year old was similar to yours.  We're hoping the same this year. We do think even for young adults there could be a bit more that would be easy to have like suffle board.  And, agree the trend toward dated music is the wrong direction. 

2 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Thank you.

Is the tender to Belize on Apex's tender boats or the from shoreside?

We had our 4 year old on Edge last year, and in a few weeks our 5 year old will be with us on Apex.  Our assessment re enough for a 4 year old was similar to yours.  We're hoping the same this year. We do think even for young adults there could be a bit more that would be easy to have like suffle board.  And, agree the trend toward dated music is the wrong 

The tender boats to get to Belize come from the shore.

How exciting! You’ll have a great time! I did notice two ping pong tables on the deck, so that could be a fun sea day activity. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, orangedec10 said:

Yes, we did stop at Grand Cayman. The tendering process was easy but I suspect that was because we booked an excursion with Celebrity. Those who had booked excursions got to bored the tender first. If not booked with an excursion, passengers must get a tender ticket and then take the tender as their ticket is called.  In case it helpful, the tender ride to Grand Cayman was much shorter than to Belize.

How were the beaches on Grand Cayman?  I am reading there are so many that have eroded away...we are thinking of just heading to a beach while there - do you have any suggestions as to where to go?

4 minutes ago, onefishtwofish said:

How were the beaches on Grand Cayman?  I am reading there are so many that have eroded away...we are thinking of just heading to a beach while there - do you have any suggestions as to where to go?

We went to starfish point, basically a small, natural beach (nothing like the large beaches you would see in Miami) with very shallow water and access to see and touch star fish! It was beautiful and a nice way to see sea life without having to be a strong swimmer. We went there by boat and I think it’s also accessible via car, but I bet it would be a long car ride.

1 minute ago, orangedec10 said:

We went to starfish point, basically a small, natural beach (nothing like the large beaches you would see in Miami) with very shallow water and access to see and touch star fish! It was beautiful and a nice way to see sea life without having to be a strong swimmer. We went there by boat and I think it’s also accessible via car, but I bet it would be a long car ride.

That sounds nice - thanks!!  But looking for something close to port/taxi or shuttle ride......We haven't been to Grand Cayman in years and are so sad about what we are reading about the beaches.....

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, orangedec10 said:

We have an excursion at GC.  It is over at 1:30. I think it would take too long to go back to the ship and get back out again after showering etc.  Thoughts?  I have seen some really long lines waiting on shore.

44 minutes ago, 39august said:

Was only the pool bar open while in GC?

Hmmm..we spent most of our time on shore that day.  That said, we didn’t get of the ship at Belize and the pool bar was open and going at full force so my assumption is that it would also be open while in GC.

Do you have copies of the daily activities by any chance? If not, can you give me an idea of what time the shows/entertainment generally starts. I'm trying to make dining reservations and want to make sure we're leaving enough time to eat and make a show.

On 3/17/2023 at 11:34 AM, rigldbrg said:

Do you have copies of the daily activities by any chance? If not, can you give me an idea of what time the shows/entertainment generally starts. I'm trying to make dining reservations and want to make sure we're leaving enough time to eat and make a show.

Sure! The shows in the theatre started at 7 or 9. There were also some shows in the club as well as Eden and those times varied, but generally the shows in Eden started a bit later in the evening.

Edited by orangedec10