Are $2 bills appreciated for tips?

53 minutes ago, poocher said:

Don’t know of any bank that will process a transaction, and yes changing a bill for smaller denominations is a transaction, without an account.

In my old neighborhood in Maryland I never had any problem. There are a bunch of other banks here in my neighborhood but I have not had another $100 so I don't know what they would do but they all have names I never heard of so since not national so maybe they would. At the Wells Fargo a nice lady behind me volunteered to change the $100. I don't know if that would have happened back east. Been thinking of opening an account at one of the local banks but back east whenever I opened an account at a local bank in a few years it got bought out by a big bank. 

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Don’t know of any bank that will process a transaction, and yes changing a bill for smaller denominations is a transaction, without an account.

Same as in Europe. Do not walk in to a European bank and expect to change a 50 or 100 Euro note if you do not have an account. And even if you do have an account but have not physically accessed it in the last year, then be prepared to sign your life away, and display every piece of identification known to man.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Same as in Europe. Do not walk in to a European bank and expect to change a 50 or 100 Euro note if you do not have an account. And even if you do have an account but have not physically accessed it in the last year, then be prepared to sign your life away, and display every piece of identification known to man.

One of the reasons we decided on a Bancomer account. Branches in SA and Europe 

The whole local bank is what concerns me about trying to deposit or change them out, and I don’t trust any ATM to recognize $2 being deposited. I have one local account but fairly certain I signed up for the “never need a personal interaction” type 🙂 but I have also used local banks who reciprocate with USAA so I’m sure I have options. Now to remember to take them with me when I’m out and about, I think they’re tucked in the put away suitcase awaiting our next travels! They’ve been a lot of places, just never seen the light of day!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 11:49 AM, ShillyShally said:

My late mother loved $2 bills and I inherited about $400+ in them when she passed and I have carried them on trips and forget to use them, for tips or for spending, lol! So now I want to make an effort to unload them, but would they be appreciated as tips for drinks or a few for other service? I can convert them to standard bills if they’d just be received as a nuisance. Would love to know any experience from others who have used them?

I find that the crew prefers $20 bills as tips. That probably sounds extravagant but $20 doesn't buy all that much anymore and anyway I'm spending $500/day or more on the cruise so handing out a few $20's seems proportionate.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, teddybear231 said:

I always bring $2 bill on any trip, not just a cruise, to be used for tips. I found that servers tend to remember you more when you hand them a $2 bill, kind of sticks out a bit.

Yeah, but the memory of you that was reinforced isn’t the “good memory” you think it is. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, garywatson said:

I find that the crew prefers $20 bills as tips. That probably sounds extravagant but $20 doesn't buy all that much anymore and anyway I'm spending $500/day or more on the cruise so handing out a few $20's seems proportionate.

I'm sure they do, but I don't have an excess stash of those 🙂  I do carry a few $20s for those that WOW us along the way.  If I convert the $2s pre-cruise I'll likely not bring any more $$$ than I usually do for tips and such.  I prepay gratuities so this simply would be "bonus" as an easy way to unload them and reward service but if they're not appreciated as it sounds like they aren't, I won't plan on that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

I'm sure they do, but I don't have an excess stash of those 🙂  I do carry a few $20s for those that WOW us along the way.  If I convert the $2s pre-cruise I'll likely not bring any more $$$ than I usually do for tips and such.  I prepay gratuities so this simply would be "bonus" as an easy way to unload them and reward service but if they're not appreciated as it sounds like they aren't, I won't plan on that.  

I wouldn't worry about it in your scenario.  You were bequeathed the stack of $2s so just give them out or use them as cash like normal.  Not worth freaking out and exchanging.  If you're worried it'll be taken wrong just saying sorry for the $2 when you give them out lol.

Def don't write cute (creepy) notes on them like someone mentioned earlier and no winking/grinning after handing them over.

Edited by Blur
  • Like 4

You know something......these folks work hard to give passengers a great vacation experience.  Just give them tips in normal US currency (ok, that very regional, I know).  Not the $2 bill that isn't even really used in the US.  I know its legal currency, but give these folks a break and just give them 2 1$ bills.  Or every 2 or 3, give them a $5.  Or write up the tip on a drink slip.  

Same goes for other currencies if they have a funky, barely used bank note.  

This shouldn't be grandma giving the little grands something unique.

(stepping down off the soapbox)....

Let the thrashing begin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

Don't over think it.  Just bring them with you and tip as you go.  Just think of it as your Mom's contribution to your cruise fun. 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

Don't over think it.  Just bring them with you and tip as you go.  Just think of it as your Mom's contribution to your cruise fun. 🙂 

Thanks, I expect, given how life goes, that's just what I'll do 🙂

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, shellunderwater said:

You know something......these folks work hard to give passengers a great vacation experience.  Just give them tips in normal US currency (ok, that very regional, I know).  Not the $2 bill that isn't even really used in the US.  I know its legal currency, but give these folks a break and just give them 2 1$ bills.  Or every 2 or 3, give them a $5.  Or write up the tip on a drink slip.  

Same goes for other currencies if they have a funky, barely used bank note.  

This shouldn't be grandma giving the little grands something unique.

(stepping down off the soapbox)....

Let the thrashing begin.

Thanks, but no thanks.  My Experience:  More of the crew seem to enjoy getting them than not.  And like I said, "it is a convenience factor for ME!  Yes, I said, "for ME"!  That doesn't necessarily mean that it is an inconvenience for others.  

BTW, there are 1.4 billion two-dollar bills in circulation.  Yes, I said, "Billion".  The least denomination but in circulation, for sure.  But, not extinct and not useless.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Ret MP said:

Thanks, but no thanks.  My Experience:  More of the crew seem to enjoy getting them than not.  And like I said, "it is a convenience factor for ME!  Yes, I said, "for ME"!  That doesn't necessarily mean that it is an inconvenience for others.  

BTW, there are 1.4 billion two-dollar bills in circulation.  Yes, I said, "Billion".  The least denomination but in circulation, for sure.  But, not extinct and not useless.  

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

They are an oddity that aren't printed any longer.  The likely reason they haven't taken them out of circulation is so they don't become even larger collectors items.  The ones that exist are squirreled away by collectors or stashed in bank teller windows for when grandma comes in to get them for their grands' Christmas presents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Oops, I wasn't going to comment on this thread anymore.  I honestly thought it was another thread.

I knew you couldn't stay away being one of the strongest backers for the $2 movement 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Yes, I said, "for ME"!  That doesn't necessarily mean that it is an inconvenience for others.  

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

"it is a convenience factor for ME!  Yes, I said, "for ME"!  That doesn't necessarily mean that it is an inconvenience for others.  

But, unfortunately it is a inconvenience for others. As you say it is all about you.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

In circulation could mean sitting collecting dust in random banks somewhere... The example that one guy who said they have $2 bills regularly at his bank but mentioned the bills were sequential should tell you they aren't well used lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blur said:

I knew you couldn't stay away being one of the strongest backers for the $2 movement 😉

My answer here is nothing to do with two-dollar bills: I never said I wouldn't continue reading the thread.  And, it was honestly a mistake.  At 70+ years old, many lines get blurred.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

My answer here is nothing to do with two-dollar bills: I never said I wouldn't continue reading the thread.  And, it was honestly a mistake.  At 70+ years old, many lines get blurred.   

Much respect for admitting it's about you though.  😋

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

The whole local bank is what concerns me about trying to deposit or change them out, and I don’t trust any ATM to recognize $2 being deposited. I have one local account but fairly certain I signed up for the “never need a personal interaction” type 🙂 but I have also used local banks who reciprocate with USAA so I’m sure I have options. Now to remember to take them with me when I’m out and about, I think they’re tucked in the put away suitcase awaiting our next travels! They’ve been a lot of places, just never seen the light of day!

Clearly a generational thing.  I have funds in an on line money market account, a local bank with branches in surrounding states and several large grocery chains and a local credit union.  I visit local branches often enough to know people by name.   Have never owned a debit or ATM card nor have I ever encountered a need for either.

On 3/12/2023 at 12:26 PM, ShillyShally said:

Thanks, I don’t use a local bank so I’ll have to see if I have easy converting options - otherwise they may just be the forever traveling $2 bills! They’re take up such little room I just forget them easily!

Spend them at the grocery store.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, poocher said:

Clearly a generational thing.  I have funds in an on line money market account, a local bank with branches in surrounding states and several large grocery chains and a local credit union.  I visit local branches often enough to know people by name.   Have never owned a debit or ATM card nor have I ever encountered a need for either.

By the sound of things bank tellers are perfect cases for automation replacement sadly so in the not so distant future (10 years?) even local banks will mostly be automated for getting cash and will require a card or other identification.  I am mid 40s and I think I go into a bank maybe once a year and use an ATM maybe once a month if that.

Unless you run a business and make lots of deposits in cash?  Every time I went into my local bank it was like a ghost town and you can tell the tellers were concerned about the lack of foot traffic.

Even more so now with some of these smaller banks gone over night with what's going on.

• Like 1