Insurance

shari1737

I believe you can add it any time.  

We recently had our first insurance claim, my husband had surgery in January the same week we were supposed to sail.  The insurance purchased thru the cruise line (NCL this time) would have actually paid us for all expenses including air, hotels, etc.  I was surprised, as in the past I've picked up insurance from each provider.  I won't do that again.  This time we were using points for our flights and not staying over before/after, but they would have reimbursed us.

They did have our physician complete a form that asked what day the diagnosis was made.  On a separate form we had to say what day we purchased the insurance.  Had the purchase date been after the diagnosis date provided by the doctor they would not have paid.  

It did take a long time for the money to come, 6 weeks from when we uploaded the docs.  

10 hours ago, Rulers Mom said:

I believe you can add it any time.  

We recently had our first insurance claim, my husband had surgery in January the same week we were supposed to sail.  The insurance purchased thru the cruise line (NCL this time) would have actually paid us for all expenses including air, hotels, etc.  I was surprised, as in the past I've picked up insurance from each provider.  I won't do that again.  This time we were using points for our flights and not staying over before/after, but they would have reimbursed us.

They did have our physician complete a form that asked what day the diagnosis was made.  On a separate form we had to say what day we purchased the insurance.  Had the purchase date been after the diagnosis date provided by the doctor they would not have paid.  

It did take a long time for the money to come, 6 weeks from when we uploaded the docs.  

If you purchase travel insurance from a separate 3rd party insurer, then there is no issue about whether it covers "cruise only" or not.  Those typically cover from the time you walk out your door until you walk back in again after your trip.

There is usually better coverage, too, but that depends upon what particular coverages are important to each traveler.

You might want to ask www.TripInsuranceStore.com next time before making a decision.  Timing can be important in terms of which coverages are possible.  To get the best choices, one should start the coverage within 10-20 days (state dependent) of the *first* payment, refundable or not.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1