Cruising with underage kids

gooch47

I know I could probably figure this out, but I'm thinking of taking my granddaughter and her boyfriend on a Princess Cruise.  They are both nineteen and (gasp) want their own cabin, leaving me in a cabin by myself. 

Can this be done?

Are you asking whether they can be trusted to sleep in the same stateroom, or whether the cruise line will try to enforce religious morals?

If it's the former, at 19 this likely wouldn't be the first time they shared a sleeping quarter.  Some parents don't like to hear it but I'm too old to wonder.

If it's the latter, I think if the check clears people can sleep wherever they want.

8 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Yes, they can be booked in their own cabin.  

This is true but I believe there must be one adult on the ship have to vouch for them.  I took my 20 year old nephews and ended up getting a cabin next door to them.  We had fun, they had fun .. 

33 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

I know I could probably figure this out, but I'm thinking of taking my granddaughter and her boyfriend on a Princess Cruise.  They are both nineteen and (gasp) want their own cabin, leaving me in a cabin by myself. 

Can this be done?

Yes, they can have their own cabin.

2 hours ago, gooch47 said:

Can this be done?

If you have not already booked your cruise I would get a hold of your travel agent and or Princess to confirm. This is what’s on the frequently asked questions of Princess  :

Princess-Guests under the age of 21 need to travel in a stateroom with a guest 21 years or older who will assume responsibility for them during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each guest is 16, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. Unfortunately we are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not meet our minimum age requirements.

• Thanks 1

There are other things to consider (both are under the "legal" age as defined by Princess).

You will need to get power of attorneys for both travels (medical authorization).

Not sure about some kind of "authorization" to take the travels out of the country.  

Will they each have passport?  

Do they have their own credit cards (a long time ago, I got my 5 year old her own credit card/long story).

Cabin assignments are a minor issue, but you will need to research the legal aspects of taking an unrelated traveler with you.

• Like 2