Question on purchasing beverage package.

mj_holiday

I would just do it on the ship...can be done at any of the bars. (not aware of any discount for booking in advance)

On my previous cruise someone had attempted to purchase in advance and had lots of issues with it being recognised and took two days of visiting guest relations for it to be eventually sorted out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scots Caz said:

I would just do it on the ship...can be done at any of the bars. (not aware of any discount for booking in advance)

On my previous cruise someone had attempted to purchase in advance and had lots of issues with it being recognised and took two days of visiting guest relations for it to be eventually sorted out

No discount for buying pre cruise in fact you lose the loyalty discount you get when buying onboard, usually second job for us once onboard after booking the speciality restaurants.

• Like 4

Another thing for your consideration when purchasing the package once on board is to ask whether there are any local taxes that may need to be collected until reaching international waters.  The VAT tax in Spain gets tricky and sometimes at FL ports.

Some bartenders will hold putting the purchase on your account until after sailing to help you with taxes.  It couldn't hurt to ask.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Another thing for your consideration when purchasing the package once on board is to ask whether there are any local taxes that may need to be collected until reaching international waters.  The VAT tax in Spain gets tricky and sometimes at FL ports.

Some bartenders will hold putting the purchase on your account until after sailing to help you with taxes.  It couldn't hurt to ask.

Azamara is the only line that seems to make a point of this, and it irks a good number of passengers. As you said, most bartenders just write it down, but some don't seem to want to do that. 

The first time it was brought up to be (before leaving Fort Lauderdale), u was a bit stunned, especially because I'd already had a couple of drinks without this issue. I wasn't didn't feel like objecting to paying some pocket change for a drink, but I'm sure the look on my face said something. I never said a word about it, but the charge was later reversed.

20 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Spanish, Italian etc VAT will be added throughout the cruise unless the itinerary includes a non EU port, this is one of the reasons Gibraltar and Montenegro feature on so many itineraries.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Riocca said:

Spanish, Italian etc VAT will be added throughout the cruise unless the itinerary includes a non EU port, this is one of the reasons Gibraltar and Montenegro feature on so many itineraries.

Do you know if VAT is added to Experience More packages(which include beverage packages) when purchased onboard?(no non-EU port)  That could add a good chunk of change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floridafolks said:

Do you know if VAT is added to Experience More packages(which include beverage packages) when purchased onboard?(no non-EU port)  That could add a good chunk of change.

I would presume not if purchased pre cruise but can’t be sure, if purchased onboard it would pay to ask one of the more senior administration staff.

28 minutes ago, Riocca said:

I would presume not if purchased pre cruise but can’t be sure, if purchased onboard it would pay to ask one of the more senior administration staff.

Monaco is also one of the non European Union Member States.

Here is a list of EU members who include the VAT. https://taxfoundation.org/publications/value-added-tax-rates-vat-by-country

If your itinerary includes a state not listed, then I believe the vat won't be charged on the entire cruise.

5 hours ago, Riocca said:

Dear god, it never ceases to amaze me how banal bureaucracy can be.

The scary thing is that there must be well paid people at the European Commission dreaming up this nonsense....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

Dear god, it never ceases to amaze me how banal bureaucracy can be.

The scary thing is that there must be well paid people at the European Commission dreaming up this nonsense....

Was started by Spain after the last financial meltdown to try and grab money from the booming cruise industry, others including the U.K. followed. I believe the ability to do so had been in EU law for a while but not implemented before.

P&O U.K. moved their Mediterranean summer home port from Italy to Malta to try and overcome it only for Malta to decide to implement it as well.