Egypt River Cruise - lots of questions

suzyluvs2cruise

54 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We looking to do an Egypt River cruise and would appreciate hearing from others which line they used and pros/cons/recommendations. 

I haven't done it yet, but I have researched this heavily and have narrowed it down to these two:

•  Archaeological Paths Royal Egypt Tour [on SS Misr, a Royal Navy steamship from 1918, later King Farouk's private yacht, since 2006 a historic-style Nile cruise ship]

•  Scenic Treasures of Egypt [on the modern Sanctuary Sun Boat III]

• Like 2

I, too, am researching, although I have been to Egypt before on an independent land trip.   We are planning tentatively for 2025. Strangely enough, I am a person who really likes hot weather, so I would prefer to go when it is warmer, and not all cruises are offered in those months. The sites are also not as crowded as they are during cooler times.  I am sorry to say that the boat and food quality are a bit less important to me than the itinerary for this particular part of the world.

Some cruises are short, three or five days, others offer a week on the ship. Most include a land component.  Tauck offers a comprehensive shorter cruise/tour that is not inexpensive, yet it does incorporate some of Egypt's most famous hotels. Viking's week-long cruise is getting a lot of high praise, and even includes security guards!  My local Pennsylvania operator, Gate 1 Travel, has a very budget-friendly cruise/tour.  Abercrombie & Kent is also a well-respected luxury tour company. I know there are many other lines and options, and it may depend if you have a list of must-sees, and what your budget is.

If time and money were no object, I would also choose Royal Egypt, as Dr. Zahi Hawass is a legend in archaeological circles. I have done graduate work in archaeology, so I know exactly what I want to see and do, and I have some knowledge of many of the sites.  

I really want to see the new Grand Egyptian Museum (not yet opened), and return to so many of the famous places that are a part of world history.  I will always remember crawling along the tunnel in the Great Pyramid and going up and down the rope ladder--not for the claustrophobic!  Yes, it is a wonderful destination to visit.

Have fun planning!

• Like 1

We took UNIWORLD’s 2-week Cairo and Nile cruise back in 2019 and enjoyed it so much that we’ll be going on the same cruise with them again in 2 months time.

Excellent guides, interesting itinerary and comfortable ship.

We had hoped that the Grand Egyptian Museum would be open by this time, but they just keep pushing it back to a later date.  Sigh!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

We took UNIWORLD’s 2-week Cairo and Nile cruise back in 2019 and enjoyed it so much that we’ll be going on the same cruise with them again in 2 months time.

Excellent guides, interesting itinerary and comfortable ship.

We had hoped that the Grand Egyptian Museum would be open by this time, but they just keep pushing it back to a later date.  Sigh!

So glad you recommended this one. We have been looking into that cruise for next year. 

• Like 1

I booked the amawaterways itinerary for next May-June. They originally gave me March which would have been cooler, but during Ramadan (earlier closing everything, fewer places to eat since the muslims wont eat or drink during the day, I hear its a party once the sun goes down though).  June was also a lot cheaper (because its hotter no doubt, they take a pause for summer about 2 weeks after I leave)

The actual cruise part seems short in actual distance traveled, the ship is basically there as a mobile hotel, we start in Cairo for a few days then fly to meet the ship then fly back.

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1