Cutting food up

Grammyluvs

Wife broke elbow 3 weeks before cruise and had a movable brace rather than a cast.  While I tried to cut up her steak the assistant waiter insisted on doing it for her at the table.  Made a big show of process.  Kind of like taking lobster out of shell.  These folks are experts and are glad to do it.

On Royal and Disney waiters did the same thing for 14 and 7 year old granddaughters.  Doesn't bother the staff at all and girls were thrilled at the attention.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 4

Well, we were on Cunard last Summer, and at a table near ours were an elderly couple celebrating their 60th or 65th wedding anniversary. 

They were cruising round trip from England, then a U.S. cruise, and then return transatlantic (approx. three weeks), and we were just on the U.S. cruise portion with them.

The assistant waiter automatically cut up ALL their meat and food during our entire cruise.  Obviously he knew their needs, and had been doing this already for the first week.  

I would not hesitate to ask for help, even though the staff are busy.  People at your table will certainly be sympathetic and patient.  As to the other folks, they have to remember this is a DINING room, which means food is to be savored, and conversation is encouraged.  Those who wish to eat as fast as possible should move to the buffet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Wow! How unfortunate for you both, hope he was able to make the most of the cruise.

Thank you!  We were both well looked after, which was the whole intent of going. The weeks leading up to it had been exhausting. We never intended to do anything but relax on the ship and we did.

• Like 2

This reminds me of a Disney cruise we took over 30 years ago when our children were 5 and 7.  When the food was served I automatically want to cut up their food as the waiter came over and told me to enjoy my food while he cut up our children’s food.

On 3/15/2023 at 1:30 PM, Grammyluvs said:

Well as luck would have it, I fell last week and have fracture with a  brace on my right hand. Has anyone ever asked or know if the waiter or kitchen will cut my meat up or should I plan on my husband doing it?

We have had this done many times.  As soon as they see me cutting up my husband's steak, someone (usually our waiter) immediately comes and  takes over.   After the first time, they know that he needs assistance and are always there to assist. 

• Like 3

On 3/15/2023 at 7:00 PM, LibertyBella said:

Well, we were on Cunard last Summer, and at a table near ours were an elderly couple celebrating their 60th or 65th wedding anniversary. 

They were cruising round trip from England, then a U.S. cruise, and then return transatlantic (approx. three weeks), and we were just on the U.S. cruise portion with them.

The assistant waiter automatically cut up ALL their meat and food during our entire cruise.  Obviously he knew their needs, and had been doing this already for the first week.  

I would not hesitate to ask for help, even though the staff are busy.  People at your table will certainly be sympathetic and patient.  As to the other folks, they have to remember this is a DINING room, which means food is to be savored, and conversation is encouraged.  Those who wish to eat as fast as possible should move to the buffet.

There never seems to be a shortage of people who are quick to state where and how people should dine.

I'm sure they would--a tip at the beginning of the cruise would help.

I will say it may depend on how full your ship is tho. We have sailed Caribbean, Discovery & Sapphire since July. On the Sapphire our wait staff seemed very very rushed & overwhelmed. 

So I suggest being flexible.