Considering HAL Rotterdam - question for LONG TIME Carnival cruisers

Tom-n-Cheryl

I'm considering a sailing on the Rotterdam - it's a nice 12 night, hitting a couple places we've not visited (including going through the canal locks and Cartagena). We're looking at a Neptune suite.

We enjoy larger ships with more options (dining, activities, etc), and the Rotterdam comes in at just 99,xxx gross tons. From what I can tell, there's a suite lounge, but it's small and doesn't offer much (obviously, no dedicated suite restaurant). I expect, and accept, that with Carnival - but with other lines we sail with, they usually have more to offer.

Is there anyone here who can comment on the Pinnacle class of ships with HAL from your firsthand experiences?

I've sailed with HAL once, but was not quite 4 years old at the time and can't recall much at all, lol

i-vNKR7L9-M.jpg

Tom

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I've sailed with HAL once, but was not quite 4 years old at the time and can't recall much at all, lol

i-vNKR7L9-M.jpg

Tom

Too cute for words Tommy 😁 Sorry I can't be more helpful.

• Haha 1

We have 50 days on Carnival (which I'll assume is long enough), and we got off the Nieuw Statendam 2 weeks ago after a 7-day to Aruba and Curacao, our first time with HAL.  Let's just say it made my GF consider resigning from VIFP.  We thought the food was miles ahead of Carnival, the ship was newer and more elegant, and the passengers older and more sedate.

At the same time, there were fewer activities, only one comedian (whom we didn't see), no waterpark or slides, and no production shows.  We've never had a suite, so we can't comment there.  HAL is also a good bit pricier than Carnival as a rule.

Bottom line:  Unless you prize Carnival's "fun" concept, I don't think you'll be disappointed with HAL or the Pinnacle class.  Any further questions, just ask!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCDragonfly said:

We have 50 days on Carnival (which I'll assume is long enough), and we got off the Nieuw Statendam 2 weeks ago after a 7-day to Aruba and Curacao, our first time with HAL.  Let's just say it made my GF consider resigning from VIFP.  We thought the food was miles ahead of Carnival, the ship was newer and more elegant, and the passengers older and more sedate.

At the same time, there were fewer activities, only one comedian (whom we didn't see), no waterpark or slides, and no production shows.  We've never had a suite, so we can't comment there.  HAL is also a good bit pricier than Carnival as a rule.

Bottom line:  Unless you prize Carnival's "fun" concept, I don't think you'll be disappointed with HAL or the Pinnacle class.  Any further questions, just ask!

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

Colleague swears by HAL.  He was on the Rotterdam over Christmas. Doing a 21 day-er later this spring (not sure which ship) and his DW is on a girls cruise over spring break now.   Their teens have gone along and seem to enjoy themselves.

According to my DW we're moving over to strictly Royal for the next couple of years (until she tires of those and we switch again).  Dang, just as I was enjoying Platinum and working toward Diamond, too.☹️

• Haha 1

We did the Koningsdam when it was brand new and can not say enough about the ship from the exceptional service, beauty of the ship to the food especially on the Lido deck and we are not Lido deck foodies. I'm sorry but I don't remember anything in particular to Pinnacle. However with that said we had someone in the ranks on the ship approach us in one of the ports and tell us that we were not old enough for HAL and we tend to agree and we are not young by any means.

• Like 1

We prefer carnival (24 cruises total) but we have tried NCL and HAL.  

I think we did the exact 12 night itenerary on HAL that you are considering.

In general it was a great trip but we were looking forward more to the itenerary and excursions than the ship itself.  We were in a standard balcony cabin so can't speak in regard to the suites.

It has been a while, but from what I recall the library bar space was much nicer on HAL.  We thought the quality of the food was a bit better on HAL.  The average age was much older on HAL and it was just a calmer/quieter atmosphere overall.  

We really enjoyed our excursions in Cartagena (currently booked to go back) and Panama (we did the train that is pretty popular).  It was also our first time to Curacao and Costa Rica which was a nice change of pace.  

In general, we prefer the Carnival Excel class when the ship is our primary destination, but we do book other Carnival classes and even other cruise lines when we want a particular itenerary that isn't offered (for example, Glacier Bay in Alaska, or certain ports in Italy).

Edited by csm5986142
  • Thanks 1

I've done several cruises on both lines and have cruises planned on both. Yes, they each provide a very different experience, but I enjoy them both. On the Rdam, there are lots of altenative dining options (i.e. extra cost) which are quite good: Pinnacle Grill, Rudi's, Tamarind, Canaletto. I think they are a big step up from Carnival's options. HAL's Dive In burgers isn't Guys, but it's good. As someone else mentioned, HAL's Lido seems to have better variety and quality than Carnival. I find the MDR good on both.

To me, one of the biggest plusses to HAL is the music. BB King's and the Rolling Stone Rock Room are big hits for me (Rdam has both and you will find me there every night - if I can get a seat or a good place to stand, they are generally packed). They tend to have very good musicians and a high energy set list that reaches most of the passengers whether they are 19 or 90 (yeah, there are a lot of them on HAL). On the main stage, Carnival wins as HAL has decimated that venue replacing their production shows with small travelling troupes or recorderd programs. HAL might have an occasional comedian or magician, but nothing like the Punchliner (where I generally spend my evenings on Carnival). I find the daytime activities quite varied on HAL with things like wine tastings, cooking demos, and "more genteel" pool activities reflecting their demographic.

I have sailed in a Neptune Suite before and had a great time. The cabin is spacious and well appointed with a larger balcony. The room stewards and concierges worked hard to go above and beyond. The Neptune Lounge isn't big, but I would often pop in for a coffee, snack, or drink and chat with the concierges. If your cabin is nearby, you are more likely to utilize it than if you are on the other end of the ship. Frankly, HAL's Neptune Suites have a lot more "suite features" than Carnival's suites (or HAL's other suite classes for that matter).

Bottom line: I have a great time on both. YMMV. The deciding factors are more likely to be the itinerary and price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have done several Carnival cruises and did my first HAL cruise in December on the Nieuw Statendam. The NS is a pinnacle class like the Rotterdam. A lot of great descriptions of Holland America and comparisons to Carnival have been listed so far. 

Couple things about HAL that I will add, they don't have you stand in line for casual poolside eats like pizza, deli, or burgers... you are given a pager to notify you when your food is ready. Love that, hate lines.

On Pinnacle Class Holland America has a Dutch Cafe where you can get Dutch food and baked goods. You can also get Dutch beer, cocktails, or coffee. It's fantastic and I would go every day for a treat and a coffee.

I really enjoyed my Holland America cruise and have already booked another. It's just a nice experience. 

• Like 1

Neptune Suites have included unlimited laundry service, priority embarkation and debarkation and tender boarding.  They also have the option to eat in the separate Club Orange Dining Room for breakfast and lunch.  The Club Orange dining room on Rotterdam is very inviting, quiet, good service.  Club Orange Dining Room has the same food as the Main Dining Room plus one added entree choice for dinner.  Mimosa for breakfast whether in the dining room or for room service are included in the fare.  The Neptune Concierge can help with dinner and excursion reservations and do any of the tasks that other people have to go to the Guest Services Desk for. Hot breakfast for room service and 24/7 room service is no charge except for a few upcharge items and alcohol.  Most tip the room service delivery folks, but not required. (don't know if they still have the Bose audio system???)  The robes are for use on the cruise, not to keep.

From HAL website:

SUITE AMENITIES AND COMPLIMENTARY SERVICES Vista Suite Signature Suite Neptune Suite Pinnacle Suite
Binoculars for use during your voyage
Fresh flowers    
Choice of firm, medium or soft pillows
No-host mini-bar
In-suite coffee/espresso machine    
Bose® SoundLink® Mini Bluetooth® audio system    
Complimentary mimosa with in-suite breakfast    
Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning    
Welcome glass of sparkling wine at dinner on embarkation day    
Premium in-room dining breakfast menu    
Premium bathrobes    
Exclusive tote bag    
PRIORITY ACCESS Vista Suite Signature Suite Neptune Suite Pinnacle Suite

1 On select ships.
2 Not all suites within each category feature accommodations for extra guests.
3 Whirlpool baths are not available in Signature or Vista suites on Nieuw Statendam or Rotterdam, or in Vista suites on Koningsdam.
4 Club Orange private dining venue is open for breakfast and dinner on Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam. Neptune and Pinnacle suite guests on all other ships receive priority seating in the Dining Room for breakfast and dinner with an expanded menu.
5 On Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam, breakfast is available for Pinnacle and Neptune suite guests in the Club Orange private dining venue.

Use of the exclusive Neptune Lounge and personal concierge service    
Cocktail party with the Neptune Lounge Concierge    
Club Orange private dining venue     1 1
Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill5     1 1
Priority check-in/disembarkation    
Priority boarding for tendered ports    
Priority dining and seating requests    
Edited by oakridger

Have a good friend who used to work for CCL who now works for HAL trying to woo us over and try HAL. We are prob going to take her up on that and see for ourselves.  I cannot remember the name of the suite but comparable to VS on CCL caught my eye.  Let me know what you decide.

Hello, I spent 41 nights on HAL last year, and 20 of those on the Rotterdam. I also spent 20 nights on Carnival last year. It was a great year for my cruising.  I love HAL, it's a notch or two above Carnival. FOR me, HAL has steps into the pool, which is something I need. The food is better, the children are less, it's a 'more adult' kind of cruise.

Carnival has the best sail away party, HAL will be quiet and more reserved.  You always see and hear the Carnival CD, you will not get the same from HAL. I love longer cruises, advantage HAL. I wish you the best of luck whatever you deside. I would suggest giving HAL a try. Any questions feel free to ask. Debbie

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

Neptune Suites have included unlimited laundry service, priority embarkation and debarkation and tender boarding.  They also have the option to eat in the separate Club Orange Dining Room for breakfast and lunch.  The Club Orange dining room on Rotterdam is very inviting, quiet, good service.  Club Orange Dining Room has the same food as the Main Dining Room plus one added entree choice for dinner.  Mimosa for breakfast whether in the dining room or for room service are included in the fare.  The Neptune Concierge can help with dinner and excursion reservations and do any of the tasks that other people have to go to the Guest Services Desk for. Hot breakfast for room service and 24/7 room service is no charge except for a few upcharge items and alcohol.  Most tip the room service delivery folks, but not required. (don't know if they still have the Bose audio system???)  The robes are for use on the cruise, not to keep.

From HAL website:

SUITE AMENITIES AND COMPLIMENTARY SERVICES Vista Suite Signature Suite Neptune Suite Pinnacle Suite
Binoculars for use during your voyage
Fresh flowers    
Choice of firm, medium or soft pillows
No-host mini-bar
In-suite coffee/espresso machine    
Bose® SoundLink® Mini Bluetooth® audio system    
Complimentary mimosa with in-suite breakfast    
Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning    
Welcome glass of sparkling wine at dinner on embarkation day    
Premium in-room dining breakfast menu    
Premium bathrobes    
Exclusive tote bag    
PRIORITY ACCESS Vista Suite Signature Suite Neptune Suite Pinnacle Suite

1 On select ships.
2 Not all suites within each category feature accommodations for extra guests.
3 Whirlpool baths are not available in Signature or Vista suites on Nieuw Statendam or Rotterdam, or in Vista suites on Koningsdam.
4 Club Orange private dining venue is open for breakfast and dinner on Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam. Neptune and Pinnacle suite guests on all other ships receive priority seating in the Dining Room for breakfast and dinner with an expanded menu.
5 On Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam, breakfast is available for Pinnacle and Neptune suite guests in the Club Orange private dining venue.

Use of the exclusive Neptune Lounge and personal concierge service    
Cocktail party with the Neptune Lounge Concierge    
Club Orange private dining venue     1 1
Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill5     1 1
Priority check-in/disembarkation    
Priority boarding for tendered ports    
Priority dining and seating requests    

Thanks for that info !

Interesting that they don't have a bottle of champagne (or similar!) in the cabin for embarkation. A "glass" often earns one an even lower quality champagne - same that they'd use with a Mimosa I'd guess. On our last Celebrity sailing one week (B2B) it was Veuve Clicquot and the next it was Perrier-Jouët. I was pleased with that. I think on Carnival a couple of weeks ago, we brought home the sparkling wine that was in our cabin. It will be gifted to someone eventually.  🙂

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Have a good friend who used to work for CCL who now works for HAL trying to woo us over and try HAL. We are prob going to take her up on that and see for ourselves.  I cannot remember the name of the suite but comparable to VS on CCL caught my eye.  Let me know what you decide.

I'll do that!

Tom

• Like 1

Of limited relevance to the OP, but I sailed on the previous edition of HAL's Rotterdam (#6, IIRC) in 2019.  It had a boring 7-day Caribbean itinerary that I'd done on Carnival and other cruise lines several times, but with a couple of twists:

1) This one went to Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala's Caribbean port.  It mostly serves Guatemala's navy on that side of the world, but the pier was long enough for us to dock, so we did.

2) It DID NOT go to Cozumel.  I thought that was a neat trick.  You try finding a 7-day cruise to the Western Caribbean that doesn't go there.

It was the smallest ship I had been on at the time in terms of passengers (about 1600) and size.  I don't remember a lot about the experience, which must have meant that things went pretty well.  My favorite souvenir from this cruise was this freebie:

HAL-Rotterdam-2019.jpg.9203463452c4cffb674a1c7b2604372a.jpg

To summarize, I had a decent time on HAL, but I'm not hurrying back.

• Like 1

we did Rotterdam over Christmas (did Kdam over Christmas 5 years ago), and have done MG and a few other Carnivals.  The Pinnacle class does have a separate 'club orange' dining room.  The strategy for club orange (you can easily read about it on their site) is to deliberately book the 'lousiest' room in your desired category and then get club orange and you get upgraded in that category (I'm not sure how this works with the neptune suites, I'm sure others on the hal forum can advise you on this).  So that has some real value.  And the CO dining room has an extra entree choice, quicker service, a more direct 'hotter food' path from the kitchen.

Hal is not big into comedians, so if that's a must, then you may not like it. They do have dance shows with recorded music (not really that dissimilar from Carnival's dance shows).  And there are the live music venues (mentioned above).   Hal definitely does not have the grand aerialist type shows like the Excel class ships have.

Hal's MDR is overall better quality than Carnival's, as is the lido.  We find Dive-In to be an excellent substitute for Guy's.

And obviously, Hal does a lot more wrt exotic itineraries.

Our cruise was just Caribbean, and there were many families (good pricing on 3rd and 4th person in the room), and the cost was pretty comparable to a Carnival cruise.  So imo, Hal is good bang for the buck.  It probably is a somewhat 'mellower' scene compared to Carnival, but we're fine with that.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Veuve Clicquot and the next it was Perrier-Jouët.

Unfortunately, you won't get those in a Neptune Suite on HAL unless you pay extra for them!!  You MAY get them in the Pinnacle Suite, but I have not, and probably never will, travel in one! 

Currently Veuve Clicquot on board including the 18% gratuity is about $147.20.  A bit shocked because in November on Nieuw Amsterdam it was $105!!  

Have a fun cruise,

~Nancy

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Unfortunately, you won't get those in a Neptune Suite on HAL unless you pay extra for them!!  You MAY get them in the Pinnacle Suite, but I have not, and probably never will, travel in one! 

Currently Veuve Clicquot on board including the 18% gratuity is about $147.20.  A bit shocked because in November on Nieuw Amsterdam it was $105!!  

Have a fun cruise,

~Nancy

Thanks 🙂

I'm guessing it's too much to hope for that they would have an offer anywhere onboard similar to that on Carnival (Steakhouse and Rudi's) where on the first night and first cruise elegant night you receive 50% off bottles of wine? On Carnival at this point a bottle of Dom is $240 - so getting that for $120 is quite the deal... Caymus Special @ $180 (for $90), etc... 

Tom

On 3/17/2023 at 6:58 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Let me know what you decide.

We booked the Rotterdam 11-12-23 12-nt sailing. We picked up a deck 4 aft corner where the balcony looks rather similar (if not larger!) than deck 4 Spirit class (4228/4237).

Thanksgiving in Key West (last day of cruise). Hard Rock, and Mattheessen's here we come.   🙂

Hop onboard !!

Tom

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

We booked the Rotterdam 11-12-23 12-nt sailing. We picked up a deck 4 aft corner where the balcony looks rather similar (if not larger!) than deck 4 Spirit class (4228/4237).

Thanksgiving in Key West (last day of cruise). Hard Rock, and Mattheessen's here we come.   🙂

Hop onboard !!

Tom

Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 3:09 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Hop onboard !!

Tom

Looks like a great cruise, good value too. If we win the lottery I am booking it. Now that B has a walker, we'll fit right in. 😁

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2023 at 8:45 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm considering a sailing on the Rotterdam - it's a nice 12 night, hitting a couple places we've not visited (including going through the canal locks and Cartagena). We're looking at a Neptune suite.

We enjoy larger ships with more options (dining, activities, etc), and the Rotterdam comes in at just 99,xxx gross tons. From what I can tell, there's a suite lounge, but it's small and doesn't offer much (obviously, no dedicated suite restaurant). I expect, and accept, that with Carnival - but with other lines we sail with, they usually have more to offer.

Is there anyone here who can comment on the Pinnacle class of ships with HAL from your firsthand experiences?

Tom

Actually HAL has Club Orange - It's a dedicated suite restaurant, and Rotterdam DOES have it.

As a long time HAL cruiser, DW and I LOVE the food HAL serves. We are about to embark on our first Carnival cruise and have been told by co-workers who sail both lines we may be disappointed in the food on Carnival. I just say back to them that we've never had a bad cruise. It is true from what I've seen/heard of Carnival that you won't find as many activities on a HAL ship. 

• Like 1