Will Wizard of Oz be feature show on Icon?

The Wizard of Oz is being reimagined like never before in this brand new production, get ready to walk the yellow brick road and follow the brightest of Rainbows! There’s no place like Royal Caribbean. For audition information visit RoyalCaribbeanProductions.com

#royaltalent #rccltalent #royalcaribbeanproductions #royalcaribbean #theater #entertainment #auditions #dance #dancerlife #singer #actorslife #cruiselife #career #thewizardofozmusical #londonauditions #nycauditions

I think Royal is going to spend whatever it takes on Icon , and if that means other ships go without something so be it. Icon has been marketed and hyped like never before and bookings are very strong and at record pricing. What they cannot do is let all those guests leave their first Icon cruise thinking what was all the hype about? If they get the product right they probably have an extremely profitable class of ship on their hands. And a whole new generation of cruisers hooked. For sure there is no other ship on any line in the works anything remotely like Icon so this new generation of cruisers with young families will have to go back to Icon or its sister ships to get the same experience.

37 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I find this topic incredibly interesting.

After Wonder did not receive any show at all, I, along with many many others just assumed that Royal was moving away from the Broadway / feature show model.

I think there’ll still be big feature shows - just not Broadway/West End ones which cost a lot of money to license and which Royal has little or no creative control over.

The Wizard of Oz “reimagined” says to me it’ll be an in-house production inspired by the original, just like Effectors is Royal’s own take on a Marvel Avengers type movie.

REAL TALK : The Wizard of Oz is a classic , but dead & buried. It came out in 1939 & Icon needs something more new with PIZAZZ, not something old &  outdated. Nick Weir : Please, Please, Please have a change of heart & change it to the WIZ !!!! Guaranteed it will make Icon the talk of town. Take a chance & you will not regret it. The bookings will increase 10 fold !!

13 minutes ago, reppilc said:

REAL TALK : The Wizard of Oz is a classic , but dead & buried. It came out in 1939 & Icon needs something more new with PIZAZZ, not something old &  outdated. Nick Weir : Please, Please, Please have a change of heart & change it to the WIZ !!!! Guaranteed it will make Icon the talk of town. Take a chance & you will not regret it. The bookings will increase 10 fold !!

no one books a ship just because of the show

Another thing to consider, Motown owns the performance rights to "The Wiz", royal is getting away from paying for rights to Broadway shows.

Edited by not-enough-cruising

On 3/16/2023 at 1:48 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

I find this topic incredibly interesting.

After Wonder did not receive any show at all, I, along with many many others just assumed that Royal was moving away from the Broadway / feature show model.

I know I'm definitely in the minority on this one but I really hope they do move away from the Broadway shows with battling singers screeching.  I just can't get into them.  I would rather see something like stomp the yard, Riverdance, Acrobatics, a rock band cover band.  I loved the Aqua theater on the Oasis class.  Ice skating was nice as well.  Just please do something with less singing.  JMO

2 hours ago, reppilc said:

Granted, it's newer than 1939, but The Wiz came out in 1974. It's closer to TWOO than today. And honestly, has it even been a thing since the very early 80's? Surely you can come up with better, more contemporary, examples, like Wicked (keeps with TWOO tie in)?

27 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I know I'm definitely in the minority on this one but I really hope they do move away from the Broadway shows with battling singers screeching.  I just can't get into them.  I would rather see something like stomp the yard, Riverdance, Acrobatics, a rock band cover band.  I loved the Aqua theater on the Oasis class.  Ice skating was nice as well.  Just please do something with less singing.  JMO

I'm with you. For the most part, I am not a fan of musicals. I always say that my favorite musical is The Blues Brothers🤣. I can still understand the appeal to most people, and can objectively appreciate the talent. My wife likes them, and some I can sit through and be fine with. Wicked was fine. The Lion King was ok. Actually kind of liked Jesus Christ Superstar (with no anachronistic sets). Others, no thanks! TWWO is one of those, but I'd still take it over The Wiz. Rock of Ages is more my style of music. Cats & Starlight Express were so bad even my wife hated them.

But yeah, I'll take the Aqua theater and Studio B over most of the main theater productions. 

• Like 1