San Francisco embarkation area?

Clampram

Pier 35 is not a deal breaker, but I would like to know in advance for planning.  Plus, from what I've heard, it can be that bad: waiting outside (could be cold and raining) for 2+ hours, with unknown access to bathrooms, etc.

Edited by theloo

Cruises to Pacific Northwest out of SF were a disaster in April 2022 because of the requirements to complete the Canadian ArriveCAN form. And that was because so many passengers did NOT do it ahead of time. That is no longer a requirement and getting inside the terminal is relatively fast now, Anyway it was fast in April 2023. What a difference a year / expired Covid restrictions makes 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

Cruises to Pacific Northwest out of SF were a disaster in April 2022 because of the requirements to complete the Canadian ArriveCAN form. And that was because so many passengers did NOT do it ahead of time. That is no longer a requirement and getting inside the terminal is relatively fast now, Anyway it was fast in April 2023. What a difference a year / expired Covid restrictions makes 

We went in April 2022 without Canada … it was that bad because Pier 27 was taken by the Majestic as a port stop leaving us on the Ruby to use Pier 35 as our embarkation port.  We made the news as the line to get into the terminal was way down to fisherman’s wharf.  It has rained that morning so it was damp but also cold and windy.  We waited in line for several hours outside with no cover.  Then, it seemed they had a check in staff inside the terminal at Pier 35 for check that was completely new so things were chaotic, to say the least.  It took some people upwards of 6 hours in line with no place to sit or get out of the weather.  
Pier 35 is a deal breaker for me.  I’d just rather not go if our embarkation is at that terminal.  The only reason they use it is when another large ship is already using Pier 27.  That means getting there on the Embarcadero is a mess, too.  

• Like 4

On 6/26/2023 at 7:26 AM, theloo said:

@CalLuvsCrusingToo did you end up boarding at pier 35?  How was it?

Hello, yes, thanks for reminder.

It was a nice day, breezy to windy.

We lucked out... first we are Elite and were in the Earliest boarding group.

There were 2 Ladies who worked the Lines making sure everyone was in the correct Group!

This was the first time I've seen that at work...

Then we had to wait in line and wait and wait, well past when we were Suppose to start

being let in.  30 mins maybe.  All the while guests with luggage coming from every direction,

and many attempting to Stand near the pair of ladies so they could Line jump.

Lines got Very Long.  ALL of them.

Once we got inside, we were in the first 10 people to checkin.  That part went quickly.

I always pickup my Medallion at the pier, and it went like clockwork as usual.

Then we headed over to wait in elite area.

Not fond of their "elite" lounge.  It was the bare minimum what I would call Elite lounge.

Dark in a corner, typical not alot of chairs and not much being served.

(thinking total opposite of San Diegos Elite lounge waiting area which is nicer)

But main point, IF you will be boarding from Pier 35?

Do your best to get Earliest boarding time!

Arrive on the early side so you are in Correct Line, before boarding starts or you Will

be waaaaaay down the street.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RV Queen said:

We are platinum and understand we and Elite have priority boarding.  Do we still have to sign up for boarding time? 

Yup, check-in time is first come, first served by check-in time. The perk is at check-in, there is a dedicated line and a dedicated location to wait.  And then priority boarding.

I did the B2B in April 2022 (and again in April 2023).  Both legs were out of pier 35.  Both were complete pains, there are no bathrooms within long city blocks and that's if they're even open.  First leg, we were elite and first boarding group.  Gosh that room is dark, dirty and unpleasant.  Next leg, they made us walk all the way down the 420 mile ramp to the street.  At least we got to watch the drug bust going on in the terminal while we walked up and down the long long ramp!  

I was in the April 2022 embarkation long line jamboree and I wanted to make a note about the bathrooms. We made friends with the folks around us in line and took turns "holding places" while others went to the bathroom. There are public bathrooms at Pier 39, the touristy shopping area. Our line reached back to that area and barely moved so there was ample opportunity to go when needed. 

We did get a little sunburned so I suggest wearing a hat at least. We wore sunscreen but standing for three hours in the sun with no shade is going to burn many of us. 

We'll be doing it again in October so this time we'll be better prepared. 

On 6/26/2023 at 7:03 AM, Cruise Raider said:

We went in April 2022 without Canada … it was that bad because Pier 27 was taken by the Majestic as a port stop leaving us on the Ruby to use Pier 35 as our embarkation port.  We made the news as the line to get into the terminal was way down to fisherman’s wharf.  It has rained that morning so it was damp but also cold and windy.  We waited in line for several hours outside with no cover.  Then, it seemed they had a check in staff inside the terminal at Pier 35 for check that was completely new so things were chaotic, to say the least.  It took some people upwards of 6 hours in line with no place to sit or get out of the weather.  
Pier 35 is a deal breaker for me.  I’d just rather not go if our embarkation is at that terminal.  The only reason they use it is when another large ship is already using Pier 27.  That means getting there on the Embarcadero is a mess, too.  

Your ship had to go to Pier 35 because the Majestic is too big for pier 35. When there is a large & small cruise ship in San Francisco pier 35, which is our old cruise terminal, has to be used. 

Tom😀

On 6/28/2023 at 1:38 AM, justafem said:

I did the B2B in April 2022 (and again in April 2023).  Both legs were out of pier 35.  Both were complete pains, there are no bathrooms within long city blocks and that's if they're even open.  First leg, we were elite and first boarding group.  Gosh that room is dark, dirty and unpleasant.  Next leg, they made us walk all the way down the 420 mile ramp to the street.  At least we got to watch the drug bust going on in the terminal while we walked up and down the long long ramp!  

I’ve lived in San Francisco since 1967 & the pier 35 terminal is used for other events & they have bathrooms there as I’ve used them many times. I’ve been hearing this many times that people are being told no bathrooms inside & there are bathrooms just inside the door to the terminal. How could they have events there with no bathrooms?  Someone needs to make a formal complaint with the port authority & post their response. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trbarton said:

Your ship had to go to Pier 35 because the Majestic is too big for pier 35. When there is a large & small cruise ship in San Francisco pier 35, which is our old cruise terminal, has to be used. 

Tom😀

I do understand that.  Now I research other ships in two .. won’t do that again. 

16 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’ve lived in San Francisco since 1967 & the pier 35 terminal is used for other events & they have bathrooms there as I’ve used them many times. I’ve been hearing this many times that people are being told no bathrooms inside & there are bathrooms just inside the door to the terminal. How could they have events there with no bathrooms?  Someone needs to make a formal complaint with the port authority & post their response. 

Tom😀

As one who stood in that hours long line I can tell you that you are not allowed inside the pier until you get there via the line. Also, even if you begged, the line was so long that it was actually closer to get to the bathrooms at Pier 39. And even then, it was a hike either way and I know I didn't want to walk ten or 15 minutes through the crowd to get to the entrance only to be refused.

• Like 2