Cruise to Norway in early August

SSBrickNJ

I'm turning 61 tomorrow and my birthday present is a good one! It's an HAL cruise on Aug. 2nd from Copenhagen to Norway.

The average high temps in Norway in early August are in the low 70s.

My wife and I have only a handful of cruises to reflect on and those cruises went to destinations that had an average high of 85 to 89F.

What do men my age typically wear on a HAL excursion in Norway? Shorts might seem wrong if it is 65F when we leave the ship that morning and only hits the high temp for the day when we return.

Blue jeans does not strike me as something the typical HAL cruiser would wear.

We've done 4 RCCL cruises and one Carnival. This will be our first HAL experience.

THANKS!!!!

Steve (and wife)

from NJ

Edited by SSBrickNJ

Jeans are fine. We cruised in Norway two weeks last August. I wore jeans and cargo pants that could convert to shorts if desired. There are no dress rules for day wear and excursions. The minimum dress requirement for a Dressy Night is collared shirt and slacks. 

Not sure where you got the idea that jeans during the day would be inappropriate on Hal. It’s probably the dress of choice for many.

Happy Birthday!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have worn jeans numerous times on HAL and in Norway.  Do remember that even though it will be August, it does rain (a lot!) in Norway and wet jeans clinging to the legs is not nice 🙄also wet jeans take a long time to dry.  Cargo pants with zip off legs are my current choice for excursions as they will double as shorts when required.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Jeans are fine. We cruised in Norway two weeks last August. I wore jeans and cargo pants that could convert to shorts if desired. There are no dress rules for day wear and excursions. The minimum dress requirement for a Dressy Night is collared shirt and slacks. 

Not sure where you got the idea that jeans during the day would be inappropriate on Hal. It’s probably the dress of choice for many.

Happy Birthday!

I think I recall a post in a previous thread about what men wear on board (not blue jeans) and I suppose in my mind I've wrongly applied that comment to excursions as well.

We have arranged for our nightly Main Dining Room dinner reservation to be at 5:45pm.

So I suppose I'll wear jeans to the morning and early afternoon excursion and then once on board, we'll come back to the cabin to change for dinner.

No jeans in the MDR...correct?

NICE dockers or casual dress pants are ok for the "regular" MDR nights? 

Then I'd wear slacks, button down shirt with a tie on "formal night"? (Basically a suit but with no jacket)

Sounds like a plan ? 🤔

Edited by SSBrickNJ

7 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

I think I recall a post in a previous thread about what men wear on board (not blue jeans) and I suppose in my mind I've wrongly applied that comment to excursions as well.

We have arranged for our nightly Main Dining Room dinner reservation to be at 5:45pm.

So I suppose I'll wear jeans to the morning and early afternoon excursion and then once on board, we'll come back to the cabin to change for dinner.

No jeans in the MDR...correct?

NICE dockers or casual dress pants are ok for the "regular" MDR nights? 

Then I'd wear slacks, button down shirt with a tie on "formal night"? (Basically a suit but with no jacket)

Sounds like a plan ? 🤔

Actually a nice pair of jeans without tears frays can be worn on regular nights in main dining room. Though you don’t see many.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 1

I must admit that I have not researched the excursions as of yet.

I am a 5th grade band director in a school district that will be closed the full week after Easter.

I plan do get my act together (cruise planning-wise) during that week.

I created this thread today, because later my wife and I are going to the outlets and the plan is for me to select a couple of clothing items I want to wear on the Aug. 2nd - Aug. 9th Norway focused cruise.

Edited by SSBrickNJ
  • Like 1

Depending on your excursions it can get pretty darn cold at higher altitudes even if it’s warm around fjords. Weather can change significantly so always have a jacket or sweater nearby.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 1

I suggest good quality hiking  pants that quick dry for both you and your wife.  Jeans are the worst thing to wear if they get wet.  There are many different brands, of pants, and the ones I have I wear at night on casual nights- they are black or brown and with a nice top - look fine. My husband does the same with his. One of mine converts to shorts and another to crop pants (for your wife).  It makes it much easier to pack to have these all in one type clothes. Also a trick for cold weather areas is to pack some silk long underwear.   I take a small back pack  on my excursions, with my water bottle etc. and start the day if it is cold with my silks underneath and if it gets warm I just head to the bathroom and remove, stuff in my backpack and I don't have anything bulky to deal with if the weather gets warm during the day.  The silks also help with the wind. Another thing is to bring a winter hat - again they take up little room but make a huge difference.  

You will need a (preferably waterproof) jacket, possibly with a sweatshirt under it. Pack gloves in the pocket on one side, and a knit hat on the other side. That way you will have them when you need them; no forgetting back in the cabin. 

You'll be surprised that there are often warm, sunny days in Norway in the summer, too, so have some lighter weight shirts to wear under the jacket. 

Enjoy Norway! It's one of my favorite destinations. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Wow! Gloves? Sweatshirt? ...in August? I never would have guessed. I'm so glad I posted this thread.

On a couple of our higher elevation excursion in August  there was deep snow and one mountaintop hikers climbed and skied. Keep in Mind  the ocean water is pretty cold. Your close to the arctic circle.

We went in mid-August and temps were definitely not in the 70s. It ranged from high 50's to low 60's. If the sun makes an appearance, it feels warmer.  Layers are needed. T-shirt, heavy sweatshirt, waterproof raincoat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

What are sample excursions that are not in high elevations? Any ?

There are plenty of great excursions that are not at high altitudes. At least on the line we cruised with in Norway last August. However, those higher altitude private excursions really were fantastic and exploded with Norway’s beauty.

• Like 1