There's this and then there's that

millybess

There’s this and then there’s that.

We are on the TA from SJU to BCN.

So:

Lots of communication problems in SJ as we were boarding.  messybill had to call the Viking number, otherwise we all wouldn’t have been able to board until 2pm, according to the security people.   Eventually someone from Viking came down with the correct information.

Noon announcements are being broadcast directly into our cabin.

Chef’s Table was really good on our first night — Asian Panorama.  Unusually, we didn’t cancel the rest and are looking forward to trying them out.

On our first 2 cruises all staff knew our cabin number after day 1 or day 2.  This time there is not one staff member — restaurant, bar, etc. — who remembers our cabin number.

Good news:  we are back on board the Viking Sea in May and we will have the same steward — Earl.  He is phenomenal.  The best steward we have had since Clark on the Baltic cruise.

Machines in the gym are always available.

We don’t know the number of passengers

Edited by millybess
  • Like 1

We, too, are aboard this voyage to Barcelona, our second transatlantic with Viking — the first being last year also aboard the Sea.  The difference in the number of passengers between the two voyages has been and continues to be impactful!  Our embarkation was a bit unorganized although I fault the San Juan authorities for any confusion we experienced; once in Viking’s hands, things went smoothly. We appreciated the muster drill/safety explanation approach and we’re quickly in our cabin unpacking.  Here’s where things started to go a bit south.

The chairs in our stateroom were ripped and frayed, not exactly what should be on a Viking ship. There were no Frejya (sorry if I have misspelled this) bath products, just tiny bottles of something made in China — explanation was that Viking couldn’t get their products from Europe to Puerto Rico…..supply chain issue??.  The wines offered on the Silver Package are fewer this year than last and right now the quality of food isn’t what we experienced in the past.  We have been unable to get additional reservations for Manfredi’s or the Chef’s Table, but we’re told that it might be possible after March 20. For those to whom this matters, we are seeing many, many more baseball hats in the Restaurant and World Cafe.

But the staff is wonderful and we are on a great trip and the seas have been calm. Everything is relative.

Friend onboard has been told 770 onboard.  Apparently instead of an overnight in San Juan the 14 Brits onboard were stuck in the airport of  Madrid for many many hours, with little assistance, due to an airplane malfunction.    Banded together with the help of a Speaker and his partner who were also enroute.  Friend said they were both great and that she was looking forward to their lectures.

They did get onboard at last - but apparently no welcome drinks after their nightmare journey.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mnwever said:

The chairs in our stateroom were ripped and frayed, not exactly what should be on a Viking ship. 

Like you, we were on last year's San Juan-Barcelona transatlantic (the Viking Sea). Also like you, we noticed some fraying on our cabin's couch arm. Hopefully Viking didn't move that couch into your cabin for this year's cruise!

Interestingly, I vividly remember the fraying because it contrasted so much with the impeccable decor elsewhere in the cabin and the lack of fraying on other cruises. But Linda doesn't remember the fraying at all. That's just one example of how two people can focus on and remember entirely different things from the same cruise.

Yes kudos to KTRaveller!  No concerns about the bath products as we bring our own.  Hotel or Cruise Ship products are for the forgetful IMHO, (and there have been many times I have been grateful to find the necessaries that I have somehow forgotten).   Again IMHO, the food has been consistently very good if not excellent, including Manfredi's where the usually great service was tonight somewhat eroded by our server

Edited by Messybill

@HUNKY

Disagree.  I always prefer my men dangerously distinguished --James Bond in a tuxedo.  Some of our favorite cruise photos are our formal night poses from Cunard, Princess and Celebrity. We dress to impress, and enjoy the experience. (And we are in pretty good shape for our ages!)

My husband thinks baseball caps in restaurants are just plain sloppy. 

We already have our dinner clothes selected for our upcoming Viking cruise (12 day countdown!), and yes, we will change from our active day clothes to a more country club casual evening look.  That is because we WANT to, even if we don't have to.  Fashion can be fun!!

• Like 7

We enjoy dressing up a bit when we go out to dinner at home, just as we do when on a cruise. 

@HUNKY - 90% of those on most ships in baseball caps and t-shirts  don’t come close -‘ so I am fairly certain the logic doesn't qualify! And the 10% who might - would look even better stepping it up a bit. Now that would be appropriate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HUNKY said:

40c07bfced63b6f9bc2d0b94d259e4d7.jpg

If you look like this a ball cap and t-shirt are appropriate EVERYWHERE!

12 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We enjoy dressing up a bit when we go out to dinner at home, just as we do when on a cruise. 

@HUNKY - 90% of those on most ships in baseball caps and t-shirts  don’t come close -‘ so I am fairly certain the logic doesn't qualify! And the 10% who might - would look even better stepping it up a bit. Now that would be appropriate. 

6 minutes ago, deec said:

Basic manners hats are NOT appropriate at the table!  My 13 year old grandson knows this!!!

3364438F-7D99-4B2D-B55E-FF10264B7A03.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Haha 12

one's head will not get cold in a restaurant on the ship ...I am betting an upscale restaurant will not allow caps.  Medical reason ok ...not many of those on a cruise ship!

• Like 3

I started losing my hair in my early 20s; I'm not one who chooses to wear a cap all the time to hide it, I just go about my business and don't worry about it.

I can't think of a single time in a restaurant when I wished I had a cap on to keep me warm. I agree with those who say that wearing a cap or hat in a restaurant is bad form, but in America these days, tacky obnoxious caps are ubiquitous.

On the subject of clothes, however, my sweet wife and I don't go overboard (pun intended) on clothing choices. On cruises, I wear button shirts and slacks at night in the nice restaurants, and t-shirts most of the time otherwise. When we're doing walkabouts, we dress for the weather.

If I can't fit a 2-week trip into a carryon, I've packed too much; I carry one good pair of walking shoes, and that's it; we bring puffy jackets that pack very small, gloves, wool caps if needed--and I certainly don't bring a dress jacket. 

One of my brothers still wears a dress jacket anytime he flies, claiming he "gets better service;" these days, good service on an airplane is almost nonexistent, so I think he's being a bit pompous, but that's just me...

• Like 8

nope...and I have husband who LOVeS ball caps but he knows where to wear them!

Even our very relaxed sailing club does NOT allow them in the dining room! Clean tshirts and flip flops are ok ...take off your cap and silence the phone!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, deec said:

nope...and I have husband who LOVeS ball caps but he knows where to wear them!

Even our very relaxed sailing club does NOT allow them in the dining room! Clean tshirts and flip flops are ok ...take off your cap and silence the phone!

I still remember the fellow we saw on last year’s transatlantic cruise. He wore a ball cap to dinner in the Restaurant and kept it on the entire time. Then the next morning, there he was in the World Cafe, wearing the same cap from the moment he arrived to the moment he left.

I wondered then and still wonder whether he takes his cap off at home and between meals. He might even wear it to bed and in the shower. If so, he must really, really love that cap. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There was a man on our Viking Homelands in 2019 that wore a viking helmet, complete with horns, the entire cruise regardless of location or activity. His behavior generally matched his wardrobe.

• Haha 4