Observations from the Poop Deck Nieuw Amsterdam

Boarded the Nieuw Amsterdam for Spring Break this year.  Felt it would be a more 'mature' crowd, so far our intuition is correct. Even the young adults are more mature. Check in at Port Everglades was quick and cordial. Ship does rock and roll a bit more than the other mega ships Beyond, Edge, Seashore, Seascape, with the cabinet drawers sliding open to the point one no longer bothers to slide them shut. Ships lacks entertainment venues, but so do the others. The most popular venue is too small for the amount of guests turning away. Miss having the dedicated suite restaurant, but the MDR maitre d' is very accommodating. Notice that passengers spend more time dining. Suite venue Neptune Lounge is key card entry and much like Michael's Club/Retreat. Suite cabins much the same as Celebrity and MSC up to and including Royal Suites (maybe even Penthouse suite on Equinox). Level of service is the same on all three cruise lines. Very friendly, smiling staff. Miss having a butler.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Ships lacks entertainment venues

Have you checked out the BB King Club, Billboard on Board Pianos and Lincoln Center Stage?  Does the Ocean Bar have a band for dancing a few sets per evening? (they did in October 2022). Are there any shows at all on the Main Stage? Singers, comedians?

~Nancy

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

Have you checked out the BB King Club, Billboard on Board Pianos and Lincoln Center Stage?  Does the Ocean Bar have a band for dancing a few sets per evening? (they did in October 2022). Are there any shows at all on the Main Stage? Singers, comedians?

~Nancy

Yes. BB King is too small a venue for the amount of guests wanting a seat. Dueling pianos was also packed. Main stage theatre had the rest of us seeking entertainment of movies this first evening. No Lincoln Center Stage performance. CD Kimberly did mention to the crowd when she introduced the BB Band that those wanting a seat to get there early. Theatre is nice though the seats in the back of the theatre cut off the top of the movie screen making those seats unacceptable as well as the seats on the sides cut off the sides of screen which is set too far back for good viewing of movies. 

• Like 1

Good Morning Mr. Morpheus. So glad to see you again and on a different cruise line. I will be looking forward to hearing your opinion on Holland American as I will be sailing on HAL on a Trans-Atlantic next Spring. I haven't been on this line in some time so comments and observations will be appreciated. Fair Winds to you and the Mrs.

• Thanks 1

What a surprise to see Observations from the Poop Deck on here!! I’ve been following some World Voyages here and lo and behold I see your name come up. I thought you were cruising on MSC next. Looking forward to following along with you. Enjoy!!

2 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

What a surprise to see Observations from the Poop Deck on here!! I’ve been following some World Voyages here and lo and behold I see your name come up. I thought you were cruising on MSC next. Looking forward to following along with you. Enjoy!!

Funny you mentioning World Cruising. Been reflecting. Perhaps will also repost this and someone can help us all.

The longer one is exposed to most anything, the more one is liable to lose the pleasure it once provided. It’s just human nature. Many of us cruising aficionados look longingly at those of us that cruise for long periods of time on world cruises or even those that manage to live on board cruise ships as passengers. But even these modern day ‘sultans’ of the seas cannot come close to the lifestyle of Abd Al-Rahman III.

Abd Al-Rahman lived a life of complete luxury and kept a meticulous diary. He was Emir and Caliph of Cordoba in the 10th Century Spain. He was an absolute ruler, who wrote, “I have now reigned above 50 years in victory or peace; beloved by my subjects, dreaded by my enemies, and respected by my allies. Riches and honors, power and pleasure have waited on my call, nor does any earthly blessing appear to have been wanting to my felicity. I have diligently numbered the days of pure and genuine happiness which have fallen to my lot. They amount to 14.

What is the moral of the story? Everything in moderation? Know thyself? Grass is always greener? Let me know, please.

• Like 2

Just been on a few short hours and find this ship very reminiscent of cruising as it was 20-30 years ago. Elegant ship, very friendly attentive staff and crew, no big show productions, really what traditional cruising has always been.  So far with the ship booked to 110% capacity no lines anywhere except the music walk in the evening.

• Like 4

We just got off this ship after a week.  And will agree with most of what you have have experienced.  BB Kings is way to small, the Billboard singers are not good singers but they do try very hard.  Or ship had the most small children I have ever seen on a HAL cruise, and they seemed to invade the Crows Nest as there personal play ground so it was not very enjoyable.  However the cruise was great the staff is amazing and really liked the ship and the vibe.  Had a great time and would sail again, even though the entertainment was not great.  the BB King band and singers were great, the theater shows were noting new, but Al the host for trivia and game nights was great.  

• Thanks 1

Just been on a few short hours and find this ship very reminiscent of cruising as it was 20-30 years ago. Elegant ship, very friendly attentive staff and crew, no big show productions, really what traditional cruising has always been.  So far with the ship booked to 110% capacity no lines anywhere except the music walk in the evening.

Old World Teak and Brass

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

...  "I have diligently numbered the days of pure and genuine happiness which have fallen to my lot. They amount to 14."

What is the moral of the story? Everything in moderation? Know thyself? Grass is always greener? Let me know, please.

Hmmm.... Money can't buy happiness? Absolute power corrupts absolutely? Reduce desires? Maybe he should have tried cruising.

• Thanks 1

We are anchored off the coast of Half Moon Cay, tendering to shore. Partly cloudy with some rain. Stayed on board with rented cabana on the Retreat deck. Here is a word to the wise, a nicely toweled cabana lounge can be an unassuming trap for the uninitiated. We both plopped down our derrieres at the same time on our lounges only to jump back up with soaked beach bottoms. The towel topper appeared completely dry. Had to return to the suite to change into dry spare beach attire. Now when we see passengers hanging their laundry out to dry on their balconies we will commiserate, thinking they too were unfortunate to experience the same.

• Like 1

Upon our return to the Retreat in new dry beach attire we were greeted by smiles from other guests that witnessed our faux pas.

Since the dining room is closed for lunch this port day, we opted for room service and had lunch out on our balcony. Noticed within about 15 minutes how really nice it was to be enjoying an uninterrupted meal outside without the usual port flies. Whenever we had lunch in the past we always had to rush our meal before the flies 'got wind' of our picnic and joined the party. Anchoring away from shore has its advantages.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Boarded the Nieuw Amsterdam for Spring Break this year.  Felt it would be a more 'mature' crowd, so far our intuition is correct. Even the young adults are more mature. Check in at Port Everglades was quick and cordial. Ship does rock and roll a bit more than the other mega ships Beyond, Edge, Seashore, Seascape, with the cabinet drawers sliding open to the point one no longer bothers to slide them shut. Ships lacks entertainment venues, but so do the others. The most popular venue is too small for the amount of guests turning away. Miss having the dedicated suite restaurant, but the MDR maitre d' is very accommodating. Notice that passengers spend more time dining. Suite venue Neptune Lounge is key card entry and much like Michael's Club/Retreat. Suite cabins much the same as Celebrity and MSC up to and including Royal Suites (maybe even Penthouse suite on Equinox). Level of service is the same on all three cruise lines. Very friendly, smiling staff. Miss having a butler.  

Thank you for your review. I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 69 days. Looking forward to following along. 

• Thanks 1

Yep, we have been to HMC many times, but this is the first time we have seen rain.  Much like Morpheusofthesea, we returned to the ship with wet bottoms. Love the beautiful white sand on HMC.  Sad our beach time was cut a bit short today. 

7CD0841A-6CC6-41D1-8EF8-4E203E71537A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here is another observation. DW gets email alerts on her credit card. Yesterday she was charged $840 by Holland America. Went to the concierge to ask what the charge was for? It appears that we are not to worry....it is a "floating" charge of $60 pp pd to account for any charges we "might" make during the cruise. That the only present charges we have accrued are $110 for our upgraded wifi for 4 devices on one account to browsing for the week.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2

Also it appears we are limited to 15 cans of still water per person per day and the only complimentary liter bottles of water are the one from the Captain on embarkation day and the one placed in our Retreat cabana wasn't 100% sure. We thought the $840 might be a 'cover charge' for all the towels we requested in our cabin.

IMG_2786.jpg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Haha 2

Also it appears we are limited to 15 cans of still water per person per day and the only complimentary liter bottles of water are the one from the Captain on embarkation day and the one placed in our Retreat cabana wasn't 100% sure. We thought the $840 might be a 'cover charge' for all the towels we requested in our cabin.

We drink lots of water, so had to press the cabin steward to bring some pitchers of regular water every day on a cruise in Sept. (Water is fine onboard.) Getting cans constantly was too aggravating. 

• Thanks 1

Oh wow!  So happy that the safety procedures in place worked well!  That kind of gets your adrenaline pumping!!!

I'm enjoying your perspective as a new to HAL cruiser.  Thanks for reporting.  

~Nancy