What to do in Miami before hotel check-in

redred4

We're sailing on NCL out of Miami. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the morning before sailing, around 6:30 am. We will book a hotel room for that night, but my question is - what do we do in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area between the time we leave the airport and when we can check in to the hotel? We'll probably be tired after taking a redeye flight, and I'd like to avoid getting a hotel room for 2 nights. Any advice or suggestions?

1 hour ago, redred4 said:

We're sailing on NCL out of Miami. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the morning before sailing, around 6:30 am. We will book a hotel room for that night, but my question is - what do we do in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area between the time we leave the airport and when we can check in to the hotel? We'll probably be tired after taking a redeye flight, and I'd like to avoid getting a hotel room for 2 nights. Any advice or suggestions?

With the understanding that I would do my best to avoid any unnecessary time in Miami (a city that I find has “no there there”), you could consider hiring a guide who would package an airport pickup, half to full day tour of cultural/historical/artistic nature and then drop you off at the hotel. If that appeals to you, you could also try to work a hotel to pier transfer into the deal the next day.

We’ve done this all over the world and it is a often a greatly convenient logistical solution (often at a surprisingly affordable price).

Go to your hotel, at least check-in and see if they can take your luggage. You can relax there waiting for the room to be ready or head out an explore. If I had that much time, I would want to be near Bayside Marketplace, South Beach, or Las Olas Blvd. 

South Beach.  And then head over to Joe's Stone Crab for a meal.  If you're wallet is heavy, get the stone crab - it truly is a delicious treat.  But if you don't want to spend a fortune, get the fried chicken and key lime pie instead for a fraction of the price.  Heaven.

We are also getting in early the day before. We have reservations booked at the Intercontinental. They have an option to pay a bit extra to guarantee early check-in by 10am or earlier.  We plan to drop our bags off, get breakfast, and then crash in the room. If it is still before 10am after breakfast, we will sit at the pool till the room is ready.  But at least we don't have to wait till 4 for check in.

22 minutes ago, cruise_co said:

We are also getting in early the day before. We have reservations booked at the Intercontinental. They have an option to pay a bit extra to guarantee early check-in by 10am or earlier.  We plan to drop our bags off, get breakfast, and then crash in the room. If it is still before 10am after breakfast, we will sit at the pool till the room is ready.  But at least we don't have to wait till 4 for check in.

The Intercontinental: Best hotel for Miami cruisers (particularly if you have FF and/or Ambassador status.

All depends on where your hotel is. I suggest getting a hotel in Downtown or Brickell area. Go to the hotel from the airport, drop your bags off and go get a meal, explore the area. If you want you can use a Hop-On Hop-Off bus to get around to see a bit more, or just focus on the Brickell/Downtown area. 

An early breakfast at Bayside Marketplace is an option and walk along the Bayfront, go take a boat tour is you want etc.. Then head to your room and relax and depending on the hotel maybe use the pool. After that a nice dinner in Brickell. 

On 3/23/2023 at 11:27 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

The Intercontinental: Best hotel for Miami cruisers (particularly if you have FF and/or Ambassador status.

aw, shucks...We booked The Hampton Inn Brickell....Not good??

4 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

aw, shucks...We booked The Hampton Inn Brickell....Not good??

Hampton Inns are usually consistent decent lower mid-range hotels - part of the Hilton family of properties. 

As a rule, we prefer a more comfortable/convenient setting with better sleep et al. amenities and noteworthy “in house” dining. And since we travel a lot, we’ve found that Intercontinental properties generally best meet our needs and preferences and do so at a value laden price with locations in many major metro cruise ports, We’ve stayed at numerous IC properties pre/post cruises including New York, L.A., S.F. San Diego, Miami, Athens, Sydney and, most recently, in Tahiti.  

We also like some of IC’s sister Kimpton properties (e.g., the Vivadora in Barcelona). And I am convinced that IC family hotels (as a rule) treat their frequent visitors very well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Bayside Marketplace in Miami is a good place to wander around, have some lunch etc while waiting to check in to the hotel. Also there is a great sightseeing boat tour called the Thriller that operates out of the Bayside Marketplace that is a lot of fun.