Gratuities and tipping

lvpet

1 hour ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Never understood why people think they need to bribe the room steward the first night in order to get good service? Always had good service via autotips and we leave extra if we feel they deserve it.

Wish it was easier to get same waitstaff each night. Lately get new ones most nights and typically do not carry cash while on a cruise. So overall waitstaff loses out.

Book Reserve Class & in most instances the same staff service the area.

On 3/24/2023 at 5:05 PM, devonuk said:

I’ll I put it out there as I have in the past… my stateroom attendant on the Sky Princess informed me that as she was now salaried that it made no difference whether we paid the Crew Appreciation or not 🤷‍♂️ This was from September 2022. 

We usually bring gift cards for tipping.  On this last set of cruises, though, our Princess room steward (best we've EVER had) said that they are no longer required to turn in cash to the pool.  I asked how much he actually got from the "pool" and he laughed derisively and gave us a look that clearly said "not much."  So, we're going back to cash, tipping individually for those who provide great service.

Similar to others on this thread, I tip bartenders, attendants in the lounges, and at the end of a meal in the MDR or specialty restaurant, etc.  Definitely have to tip the steward.

My only meaningful add to this thread is that based on my first Princess cruise last week, I observed WAY, WAY less tipping by my fellow passengers on Princess than I routinely witness on the many NCL cruises I've done. 

Mine is not a judgement or criticism, just an observation that may hint at a different tipping culture on different cruise lines?  I could be wrong...

• Like 1

Just now, JGmf said:

I observed WAY, WAY less tipping by my fellow passengers on Princess than I routinely witness on the many NCL cruises I've done. 

It may be because most passengers are using Plus where the gratuities are included.  Can't remember where I saw it, but the share was between 2/3 and 3/4.  (We're in the camp that doesn't because we're not big drinkers.)

21 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

I asked how much he actually got from the "pool" and he laughed derisively and gave us a look that clearly said "not much."  

Maybe the look meant "none of your business".....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

It may be because most passengers are using Plus where the gratuities are included.  Can't remember where I saw it, but the share was between 2/3 and 3/4.  (We're in the camp that doesn't because we're not big drinkers.)

Just remember that you've already paid and tipped for 15 drinks whether you order them or not.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Similar to others on this thread, I tip bartenders, attendants in the lounges, and at the end of a meal in the MDR or specialty restaurant, etc.  Definitely have to tip the steward.

My only meaningful add to this thread is that based on my first Princess cruise last week, I observed WAY, WAY less tipping by my fellow passengers on Princess than I routinely witness on the many NCL cruises I've done. 

Mine is not a judgement or criticism, just an observation that may hint at a different tipping culture on different cruise lines?  I could be wrong...

Also some people tip unobtrusively, via a handshake, etc., where you might not notice...🙂

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

We usually bring gift cards for tipping.  On this last set of cruises, though, our Princess room steward (best we've EVER had) said that they are no longer required to turn in cash to the pool.  I asked how much he actually got from the "pool" and he laughed derisively and gave us a look that clearly said "not much."  So, we're going back to cash, tipping individually for those who provide great service.

On reading this thread, in Princess's own words they have said they use the auto tips to pay the employees "compensation" including bonuses.  Seems to me that the employees are not receiving

any "tips" - we are just helping Princess pay their salaries.  This info has made me more comfortable

knowing that we tip extra at the end of the cruise for good service since it doesn't sound like the "tips"

ever reach their pockets.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JGmf said:

That is because veteran cruisers like ourselves use envelopes at the end of a cruise just like we have for over 30 years even before auto grays began

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

That is because veteran cruisers like ourselves use envelopes at the end of a cruise just like we have for over 30 years even before auto grays began

Total respect for the envelope system, but if you are sitting at a bar for some duration during a cruise, do you go back to the bartender at the end of the cruise with an envelope?  Just curious.

1 hour ago, PMGS247 said:

Indeed...some of us get a little fast & loose with our math on the 15 drink maximum.

Some of the people who are drinking most of the day at home do get a little confused from time to time. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Just remember that you've already paid and tipped for 15 drinks whether you order them or not.

Although it is difficult to try and work out by my calculations the Plus package is based on an average of 10 drinks per day at an average price of $10 including tips

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

please expound on that answer, thanks

I was really referring to the post you were responding to lol but I’m out of energy on the topic. She can make up her own math now lol….I’m over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, david63 said:

Although it is difficult to try and work out by my calculations the Plus package is based on an average of 10 drinks per day at an average price of $10 including tips

???🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JGmf said:

Total respect for the envelope system, but if you are sitting at a bar for some duration during a cruise, do you go back to the bartender at the end of the cruise with an envelope?  Just curious.

Yep. That is exactly what we do since we have spent days or weeks with them and they have taken great care of us

3 hours ago, memoak said:

At exactly what point does one earn "veteran" status? When did it happen for you?

28 minutes ago, memoak said:

Feeling a little judgmental today ?

Well, if people are at home drinking all day then I would suggest the 12 step(or whatever) program. We have to admit that out of Cunard/Celebrity/Oceania/Princess,the lines we have cruised (several each)

by far the most drunken sots we've seen have been by far on Princess.No judgement just observation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Well, if people are at home drinking all day then I would suggest the 12 step(or whatever) program. We have to admit that out of Cunard/Celebrity/Oceania/Princess,the lines we have cruised (several each)

by far the most drunken sots we've seen have been by far on Princess.No judgement just observation.

Try going on Carnival short cruises

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Not sure what makes one a veteran cruiser, but like you we use the envelopes as well.We usually find Celebrity & Princess dining rooms near ghost towns on the last night.It certainly is not from packing for the trip home! We found Cunard pax to be the most generous tippers.

• Haha 2