Do you think medical or travel insurance is necessary?

Sigyn

So how would you cover airfare cancellation for mechanical failure or crew being unavailbable?  In the past we always travelled days a head to cover that.  But now looking at insuring it for various reasons,  mainly that the costs to stay two days is going up and we just don't enjoy it.  Our Credit Card covers weather, but not any thing else.  So far it looks like Cancel for any reason may be the only option... 

1 minute ago, happy cruzer said:

So how would you cover airfare cancellation for mechanical failure or crew being unavailbable?  In the past we always travelled days a head to cover that.  But now looking at insuring it for various reasons,  mainly that the costs to stay two days is going up and we just don't enjoy it.  Our Credit Card covers weather, but not any thing else.  So far it looks like Cancel for any reason may be the only option... 

I would think you'd get your refund directly from the airline, not an insurer.  They can't possibly  take the position that they are entitled to keep your airfare while not providing the service. 

4 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks.  Who would cover the cost of the cruise, etc... that was missed.

How many cruises have you missed because you didn't arrive on time?

Out of 20 or 25 cruises, I haven't missed any. The price I would have paid to cover every possible scenario that "might" have happened but didn't vs the amount I've saved by not paying for coverage for every possible scenario allows me to absorb the costs and still be money ahead.

• Like 2

Yes, we do self insure.  However, since we just recently experienced trip delay on a return flight.  I was trying to see if there was a way to mitigate the costs for a trip cancellation because due to the airline failure vs. weather event.  Like I posted normally we mitigate by travelling days ahead, this time do not want to do so.  So having to make that decision to self insure or ?

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Yes, we do self insure.  However, since we just recently experienced trip delay on a return flight.  I was trying to see if there was a way to mitigate the costs for a trip cancellation because due to the airline failure vs. weather event.  Like I posted normally we mitigate by travelling days ahead, this time do not want to do so.  So having to make that decision to self insure or ?

Since I blocked jclinard's response, hopefully, I'm not repeating what he said.

CFAR works a couple of different ways. Cruse line policies allow you to cancel up to scheduled sailing date and time. However, cruise line policies usually begin coverage when the cruise sails, not when you leave the house. 3rd party policies usually have a requirement that you cancel 48 hours before you trip begins. Sometimes, that may not be enough time. Especially if your trip actually begins when you leave the house a couple of days prior to the cruise.

• Like 1

As you can see, klfrodo is pointing out the limited conditions on which an insurance company would pay.  Oddly, he blocked me for pointing out this exact thing, as well  as urging people to read the policies, investigation the reputation of the insurer, and only take insurance recommendations from people who have collected on their policies.

I'm known as the bad guy for that.

• Like 1

I look into travel insurance and purchase every time I cruise. I spent several hours pouring over the fine print this past weekend. I got several quotes from several websites and purchased the best coverage that I felt we could afford. We ended up purchasing with Allianz (this time direct through Allianz /not using a broker) rather than the cruise line and I did do optional add-ons. We full well realize it won't cover everything that could crop up but we have had to file a claim in the past. It's been awhile I can't remember who the policy had been through but we'd purchased that one through insure my trip (I just don't recall if it was Allianz, AIG, etc etc). At that time my inlaws had to make a similar claim through their cruise line insurance (Princess') and their payout was less than what we got (they still were happy, though and they still prefer the ease of just paying more to buy through the cruiseline).

Edited by oyme

jclinard - You're clearly quite jaded but why not just get a cheaper plan as it's better than nothing? You're acting like it's go big or go home. That's just my thoughts. If you're booking a luxury cruise then obviously you might be out quite a hunk of change but I personally figure that even if I just get my premium back at least I tried. Say I paid $150 I'd *hope* to get hundreds or thousands but at least if I got my $150 I tried my best to insure my trip. When I made my claim I think I got $500 or $600 but we'd only paid in $100-something so we got back more than what we'd put into our plan. It was better than nothing...

4 hours ago, oyme said:

jclinard - You're clearly quite jaded but why not just get a cheaper plan as it's better than nothing? You're acting like it's go big or go home. That's just my thoughts. If you're booking a luxury cruise then obviously you might be out quite a hunk of change but I personally figure that even if I just get my premium back at least I tried. Say I paid $150 I'd *hope* to get hundreds or thousands but at least if I got my $150 I tried my best to insure my trip. When I made my claim I think I got $500 or $600 but we'd only paid in $100-something so we got back more than what we'd put into our plan. It was better than nothing...

Well, I'll toss it back to you.  Where can I get these "cheaper plans", and can I see the policies in advance so I know what is and what is not covered.  That way I could make a prudent investigation to see if the insurance is not low value.

I believe the norm for travel insurance is around 6% of the cost for the trip.  

• 3 months later...

I travel frequently enough so I choose to purchase an annual coverage. For under $300CAD I have medical and trip interruption etc for the year. Young and single with no major pre-existing conditions. The policy doesn’t cover everything but it covers what I need it to.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:29 AM, jclinard said:

You've missed the point.  

I've pulled up the last policy I bought. 

The first item is regarding losing baggage.  Everything I really need (medical equipment / prescriptions, electronics) is in my carry on.  The cash value of my clothing isn't very high.  The bigger problem would be replacing the items, but they don't offer a personal shopper to do so.

The second item is baggage delay.  Same issues.

The third and fourth items relate to medical and medical transport.  I've repeatedly stated that medical insurance should be purchased.

The fifth and sixth item is trip delay coverage / trip interruption.  Most of the qualifying events are not applicable, such as being called to military duty.  Delays aren't really a concern as I always travel a few days in advance of sailing.  Certain disasters / terrorism / war from the port of embarkation is likely to have the cruise canceled, in which case I can collect a refund (for both air and sea travel) from the cruise line (I learned to use their air services to cove this)  Death is unimportant as I don't need the money if I'm dead.  Sickness / injury, unhabitable house, or theft of passports are the remaining items that are would be covered.  The latter is unlikely as I keep my passport in a secure place.  I live in an area that has a low risk of natural disasters.  This pretty much leaves sickness / injury, or getting in a car wreck on my way to the airport.

My next planned trip has total cost of around $8,000, including airfare, cruise cost, and pre-booked hotel.  That would be the limit of my loss in the event I'm too sick or injured to travel.  I can afford that.  If I'm too sick or injured to travel, I wouldn't relish the thought of trying to file an insurance claim when I'm in that condition either.

The policy doesn’t offer a personal shopper but one can often be provided for free if shopping at the right store. We have experienced lost luggage in the last year and after that experience always travel prepared. List of measurements and style guide is saved in the cloud if our luggage is lost it just takes a quick email to a retailer and they can provide us with 90% of our missing items next day by mail (or next port).

My message is travel prepared and know the fine print as you’ve said.

On 3/23/2023 at 3:05 PM, mrgabriel said:

We don't have pre-existing conditions and are under 65 so these are not conditions that I have looked into. In a few years 😉 We are also fortunate to be in the situation where we don't need to have 100% of our travel costs covered by insurance. That day will certainly come, and then we will look at private insurance available in Canada.

My Amex covers up to $5MM medical outside of the province/country. And actually, my U.S. Delta Amex has very similar coverage. 

Are you sure that $5MM is medical? Or is it Travel Accident?

• 2 weeks later...

We have been cruising for 30 years, on 50 or so cruises.  We are 79 and 80.  We have never bought travel insurance, and have never regretted that decision.  We have regular health insurance.  We have funds and credit card limits that would cover a foreign hospital stay that might be required before admittance.

We are comfortable with our choice, but it is certainly a personal decision.

• 3 months later...

It depends on your situation.  I cruised in 2013 after never having to worry about health insurance (I was a child on previous trips). The travel agent I used warned me "your health insurance will not cover you the minute you step off US Soil"  I called my husband's employer's HR department who told me that I would be covered exactly as I was if I were in the US (which was excellent, and this obviously depends on your health insurance) The person I spoke to said to try to get the bill in English.  If you are on Original Medicare the only international medical coverage is by your Medicare Supplement if you have one.  I have Plan F, which is top of the line, and have a $50,000 *lifetime* foreign medical expense coverage.  I dont know about foreign but in the US $50,000 might not get you out of the ER one time.   I have no idea how Medicare Advantage plans work for this.   So, my experience is that some health insurance providers do cover out of the US and the best way to find out is to call them if you are unsure.  

On 3/29/2023 at 2:16 AM, jclinard said:

Oh, I suddenly understand.  The issue is I'm not old.  Old people can probably get doctor's notes that a broken limb or other kind of mishap makes them ineligible for travel.  They also tend to travel with other people, multiplying the odds somebody will be too infirm to travel.

As I'm not eligible for Social Security and travel alone, I only have myself to worry about, and my doctor will have a very hard time writing a note that says a broken bone means I need to be home resting.  If I was a geriatric patient, it would get a lot easier to declare me too feeble to travel.

Looking at your signature-  Yeah, it was the Expedia travel agent who insisted that my health insurance (without knowing who the provider was) would not cover me out of the U.S.  He was wrong.  Of course, I never tested it so I dont know for sure.

On 3/29/2023 at 2:16 AM, jclinard said:

Oh, I suddenly understand.  The issue is I'm not old.  Old people can probably get doctor's notes that a broken limb or other kind of mishap makes them ineligible for travel.  They also tend to travel with other people, multiplying the odds somebody will be too infirm to travel.

As I'm not eligible for Social Security and travel alone, I only have myself to worry about, and my doctor will have a very hard time writing a note that says a broken bone means I need to be home resting.  If I was a geriatric patient, it would get a lot easier to declare me too feeble to travel.

I dont know, it would be quite difficult for you to travel alone with your leg in a cast.

5 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

So, my experience is that some health insurance providers do cover out of the US and the best way to find out is to call them if you are unsure.  

I agree with you but let me take it one step further. It's important to ask them very specific questions if they tell you that their coverage is extended to international travel. My coverage had an international rider but I was skeptical. So I asked them. 

1. Can the hospital direct bill them? No

2. Will they advance me the amount required so I can be discharged? No

3. Will they reimburse at In Network or Out of Network? Out of Network at Usual & Customary.

4. Will you pay to repatriate my remains should I pass? No

With these answers, I decided to supplement my medical when I travel with a "Travel" insurance" policy.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

I agree with you but let me take it one step further. It's important to ask them very specific questions if they tell you that their coverage is extended to international travel. My coverage had an international rider but I was skeptical. So I asked them. 

1. Can the hospital direct bill them? No

2. Will they advance me the amount required so I can be discharged? No

3. Will they reimburse at In Network or Out of Network? Out of Network at Usual & Customary.

4. Will you pay to repatriate my remains should I pass? No

With these answers, I decided to supplement my medical when I travel with a "Travel" insurance" policy.

Your decision made sense!  I would do that now. Back then I didnt know enough