Gratuity on Promotional Celebrity Drink Package

Lewisinde

We were given a free promotional Classic Drink Package by our travel agent for upcoming cruise on the Infinity. It does not appear online but our agent told us that the cruise line is aware of it. Will the cruise charge us 20% gratuity on the value on the entire packages, or 20% on just the drinks we order, or do we just tip them as we care to? 

I would ask your travel agent.  
If the beverage package was included in your cruise fare then it includes the gratuity.  However if you booked a cruise only fare and your TA is giving you a beverage package then that’s unusual and you should ask them whether they included the gratuities.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I don’t believe Celebrity would sell anyone a beverage package without including the gratuities charge, whether to an agency or a passenger, so I don’t think you’ll see any charges out of your own pocket. Enjoy! 

Actually, I believe that when passengers purchase the drink packages from Celebrity, they will find the 20% gratuity added to their bill.

Edited by Lewisinde

You shouldn't be charged any gratuities for drinks or your package.  The 20% would have been paid when the package was purchased by your TA.   The one exception is that if you decide to order a drink that is over the classic package drink limit, you pay the difference plus gratuity on that difference.

You can always choose to give bartenders additional tips.

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Your booking is a cruise only booking without the AI?  It does include WiFi or the regular crew gratuities?

Was a cruise only booking. TA threw in the WiFi and drink package. 

14 minutes ago, Lewisinde said:

Was a cruise only booking. TA threw in the WiFi and drink package. 

But not the gratuities, which would be the AI?

Interesting approach by the TA, my Celebrity TA gives me refundable OBC for my discount.  

I would think that the cost of an individual Classic Beverage Package and the WiFi would be greater than cost difference between the Cruise only rate and the AI rate.  But there are always special deals and situations.

Enjoy your cruise and package.

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

Wi-fi and drink package are about $125 pp pd

depending on length of cruise and cabin this could beat the 10% refundable  OBC . 

Agree.  Also the $125 a day pp pd is significantly more than the difference between cruising with an AI rate instead of a Cruise only rate. (Of course this can vary).

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The TA possibly had group space with WiFi and a beverage package included.   I suspect the OP will find that they have paid gratuities as well when they get the copy of booking from the TA and Celebrity. 

The same effect as having an AI booking.  

I guess the net result is the same for the OP, so it does not really matter.  

Edited by jagoffee

On 3/22/2023 at 6:55 PM, Lewisinde said:

Actually, I believe that when passengers purchase the drink packages from Celebrity, they will find the 20% gratuity added to their bill.

I'm not sure what point are trying to make, but you can't buy the drink package and then find that you have to pay for the gratuities later once you're on the ship. So there's no way that the TA would have paid for the package without the gratuity being included. Not that they're likely paying for it that way that you or I would. It's obviously part of a deal they have with Celebrity.

8 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I'm not sure what point are trying to make, but you can't buy the drink package and then find that you have to pay for the gratuities later once you're on the ship.

I suspect that was their point...

There is no way to get the package without having the gratuities included as even if you purchase it online, where the price is usually shown without the gratuities, the gratuities get added to the price when you reach the payment page....

Edited by Mark_T