LIVE FROM the flagship Rotterdam on the 21-day Eastern Caribbean and 150th Anniversary Transatlantic

Vict0riann

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Yes, that is correct.  If you have the drink package, and you buy a drink that’s more that $11, you are just charged the difference, plus the gratuity on the difference.  We’ve done it a few times in the Pinnacle. 

I believe this policy has been fleetwide since last October or November.

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I haven’t had the drinks package before.  In the Koningsdam in January, I think Jacqui, @kazu, had it.  She may remember what the policy was there.  It seems to me that each ship does what it wants regarding drinks!

last time on NS Happy Hour was buy one , get the second for 25% off.. needless to say, not many attended!  Eurodam the year before was all drinks 50% off, like this ship.

• Like 1

From Number 101 *** COLLECTION OF MARITIME PRESS CLIPPINGS *** Tuesday 11-04-2023

Holland America Line’s 150th Anniversary Celebrations

From a ceremony at a historical landmark with a special gift to shipboard gala celebrations and a toast worldwide, Holland America Line is getting ready to celebrate a day 150 years in the making. The premium cruise line’s sesquicentennial birthday is April 18, 2023. On that date, ROTTERDAM  VII  will arrive at its namesake city of Rotterdam, the Netherlands, to revel with local dignitaries, port officials, and guests. ZUIDERDAM will be in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, that day and will host an evening gala party on board for Grand World Voyage guests.  Holland America Line President Gus Antorcha will lead the celebrations. Also scheduled to attend the events are Her Royal Highness Princess Margriet of the Netherlands, Rotterdam’s godmother; Ahmed  Aboutaleb, mayor of Rotterdam; and descendants from two families of Holland America Line’s founders.

“Holland America Line is a company that takes deep pride in our heritage and respects the role we played in history, so our 150th-anniversary events honor our tradition while recognizing the brand we are today,” said Antorcha. “All of the festivities we have planned carry special meaning, and we’re excited to celebrate with so many individuals who have been a part of our story throughout the years, alongside our guests, team members and the people of the Netherlands.”

Upon Rotterdam’s arrival at Rotterdam on April 18, the 150th Anniversary celebrations begin at Hotel New York, home to Holland America Line’s historic headquarters. The cruise line will present a commemorative 150th Anniversary bell — in the style of a traditional ship bell — to be permanently displayed at the hotel. At the event, Princess Margriet will follow Holland America Line’s ritual of blessing the bell before it is donated to Hotel New York. In addition, an original share of the first Holland America Line stock shares will be presented to be kept as part of a special collection in the city of Rotterdam archives. At the ceremony, PostNL, the postal office of the Netherlands, also will unveil a 24-carat collectible 150th-anniversary gold-foil stamp to commemorate the special milestone. Available for purchase throughout the Netherlands, only a limited edition of just 1,000 will be produced. Following a Gala Dinner on board ROTTERDAM and ZUIDERDAM, the celebrations move to the Lido pool area with live music and a toast to the special day. Anniversary- themed parties also will be held on the nine other ships in Holland America Line’s fleet. Anniversary Transatlantic an Ode to Dutch Heritage

During the 150th Anniversary Transatlantic Crossing aboard ROTTERDAM that departed New York City April 7 and arrives at Rotterdam April 18, guests will be treated to a host of touches to mark the company’s birthday. Special programming will include cuisine from previous Holland America Line voyages dating back to the 1920s, a “Throwback Happy Hour” that rolls back time with drinks priced as low as 75 cents, Dutch High Tea, a Rijsttafel pop-up in Tamarind, anniversary-themed trivia and presentations by Bill Miller, maritime historian and Holland America Line authority, that relived the history and roots of the company. Source : MAREX

• Like 7

9 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Don’t think it was fleet wide.  On Oosterdam in November and there was no signage seen such as shown by Ann.  I didn’t go over but I did ask and was told it was full price.

27 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I haven’t had the drinks package before.  In the Koningsdam in January, I think Jacqui, @kazu, had it.  She may remember what the policy was there.  It seems to me that each ship does what it wants regarding drinks!

last time on NS Happy Hour was buy one , get the second for 25% off.. needless to say, not many attended!  Eurodam the year before was all drinks 50% off, like this ship.

I didn’t see any signage on the K in December-January like you are on the Rotterdam.  I didn’t go over the SBP price as I asked and was told it would be full price.  So, it either does vary by ship or the fleet wide change hadn’t happened yet.

I’m glad to see it is in place on the Rotterdam as it is my next ship.  😊 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

From Number 101 *** COLLECTION OF MARITIME PRESS CLIPPINGS *** Tuesday 11-04-2023

Holland America Line’s 150th Anniversary Celebrations

From a ceremony at a historical landmark with a special gift to shipboard gala celebrations and a toast worldwide, Holland America Line is getting ready to celebrate a day 150 years in the making. The premium cruise line’s sesquicentennial birthday is April 18, 2023. On that date, ROTTERDAM  VII  will arrive at its namesake city of Rotterdam, the Netherlands, to revel with local dignitaries, port officials, and guests. ZUIDERDAM will be in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, that day and will host an evening gala party on board for Grand World Voyage guests.  Holland America Line President Gus Antorcha will lead the celebrations. Also scheduled to attend the events are Her Royal Highness Princess Margriet of the Netherlands, Rotterdam’s godmother; Ahmed  Aboutaleb, mayor of Rotterdam; and descendants from two families of Holland America Line’s founders.

“Holland America Line is a company that takes deep pride in our heritage and respects the role we played in history, so our 150th-anniversary events honor our tradition while recognizing the brand we are today,” said Antorcha. “All of the festivities we have planned carry special meaning, and we’re excited to celebrate with so many individuals who have been a part of our story throughout the years, alongside our guests, team members and the people of the Netherlands.”

Upon Rotterdam’s arrival at Rotterdam on April 18, the 150th Anniversary celebrations begin at Hotel New York, home to Holland America Line’s historic headquarters. The cruise line will present a commemorative 150th Anniversary bell — in the style of a traditional ship bell — to be permanently displayed at the hotel. At the event, Princess Margriet will follow Holland America Line’s ritual of blessing the bell before it is donated to Hotel New York. In addition, an original share of the first Holland America Line stock shares will be presented to be kept as part of a special collection in the city of Rotterdam archives. At the ceremony, PostNL, the postal office of the Netherlands, also will unveil a 24-carat collectible 150th-anniversary gold-foil stamp to commemorate the special milestone. Available for purchase throughout the Netherlands, only a limited edition of just 1,000 will be produced. Following a Gala Dinner on board ROTTERDAM and ZUIDERDAM, the celebrations move to the Lido pool area with live music and a toast to the special day. Anniversary- themed parties also will be held on the nine other ships in Holland America Line’s fleet. Anniversary Transatlantic an Ode to Dutch Heritage

During the 150th Anniversary Transatlantic Crossing aboard ROTTERDAM that departed New York City April 7 and arrives at Rotterdam April 18, guests will be treated to a host of touches to mark the company’s birthday. Special programming will include cuisine from previous Holland America Line voyages dating back to the 1920s, a “Throwback Happy Hour” that rolls back time with drinks priced as low as 75 cents, Dutch High Tea, a Rijsttafel pop-up in Tamarind, anniversary-themed trivia and presentations by Bill Miller, maritime historian and Holland America Line authority, that relived the history and roots of the company. Source : MAREX

Well, that explains why my cruise consultant couldn't get us hotel reservations at Hotel New York for our pre cruise stay! 😄

18 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It definitely has.  It was in place on the koningsdam in November of last year.  Not really anything new.

I remember there was a lot of discussion about this on CC late last year. However, I have checked on HAL's website this morning and I could not find anything that confirmed this. I know it was not available on our Oosterdam cruise last August.

Edited by terrydtx

The sea is definitely a millpond today, with just the slightest swell.  Very soothing.  I had the scrambled egg with a kipper for breakfast, hold the onions.  Then, while Pat went to the talk about the Port of New York, I joined the Sit and Stitch group in the Stuyvesant Room.  There were about 8 ladies, two doing quilting, using their sewing machines that they had brought on board.  They also had irons, but I don’t know if they brought those on, or if they belong to the ship.  The others were a mix of knitting, counted cross stitch, and me, with needlepoint.  

1145493A-B505-4CC8-9689-0C28C70365FE.thumb.jpeg.340fd484fd141ca4b6c78de808837e18.jpeg

5B4D806D-0815-4393-927F-E4C3A9020801.thumb.jpeg.02cdf916093b6643f0b2717b5617489d.jpeg

B4330D69-EE67-41EA-8702-083B840948E2.thumb.jpeg.c1fc6d8810e214fcb3b8601f38cc5255.jpeg

50D75663-3E6E-49D2-A9EA-AE77E4BC1AED.thumb.jpeg.c087a1d8fc7f2acc535898fad12333c7.jpeg

• Like 20

Dutch-Indonesian lunch today in the Lido - almost every station has a plethora of Dutch treats.  And the Indonesian station, I couldn’t even get close enough to take pictures, it was so crowded.  

51D7008A-D23B-456A-97BA-1F344E3FE37F.thumb.jpeg.e42b39b320217e6b1143233f6efd72e5.jpeg

EB6DC2FF-45BC-4C19-A0FF-ADB18BAFE411.thumb.jpeg.85d11c47d86ad3a3356a6683dc626552.jpeg

50A217D5-EEC5-4BC2-B512-23A2A93ED962.thumb.jpeg.cf7215b68dfd3f25b4e948a575a12add.jpeg

D480BF15-2A2A-4F74-9D45-8D9AABCE3CE4.thumb.jpeg.5d3655b5b6b1c84469f7743fba9509a6.jpeg

7FB5B30F-C207-4AE5-97D6-A0360F5D64C2.thumb.jpeg.4a9bc3710c61491e07175810f6cdebce.jpeg

063A953D-1D9F-4D8F-BDCB-7100EEE4890E.thumb.jpeg.cd316cb4b33a4473ed80c9a84a560d69.jpeg

9F158579-509F-480F-BF1D-25E19EC7AEB3.thumb.jpeg.7601ac7931aa00281647f95474cff7e6.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

It is difficult to find a place in our time zone now.  Pat finally suggested Grytviken, after I tried Reykjavik, Rio, Hamilton, and a bunch of other places.  

Captain said he is avoiding 4 and 5 metre waves.  Still flat calm.  Tony saw whales and dolphins.  

Dutch Tea at 3.  I will be taking pictures.  

• Like 11

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I remember there was a lot of discussion about this on CC late last year. However, I have checked on HAL's website this morning and I could not find anything that confirmed this. I know it was not available on our Oosterdam cruise last August.

Nor on Rotterdam in September.

Hi Ann, 

Having never sailed on HAL before, I have been following your live thread with great interest. (Thank you for sharing your wonderful stories and photos with us!) The food looks incredible, glad to see that my mom and I aren’t the only individuals who enjoy taking pictures of food. 😂

How have you been enjoying the entertainment onboard so far? Have you had a chance to meet either Doug Parker from Cruise Radio or Tony from La Lido Loca? I think Tony mentioned that there are media onboard this cruise. 

Hope you have a great day! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

It is difficult to find a place in our time zone now.  Pat finally suggested Grytviken, after I tried Reykjavik, Rio, Hamilton, and a bunch of other places.  

Captain said he is avoiding 4 and 5 metre waves.  Still flat calm.  Tony saw whales and dolphins.  

Dutch Tea at 3.  I will be taking pictures.  

I think you may be heading for some larger waves.  From Windydotcom

image.thumb.png.b8585e9d2594f1d76fdbf5e19e2412df.png

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

No it hasn't been years so I apologize if it sounded like that.  I want to say it's been a solid 5 months easily. Some ships longer than others.

We all ate very little for lunch, only the most delicious morsels.  I went for the fishy things, rollmops, etc., Tony, too and a Dutch meatball.  Pat did have a sandwich, and I don’t think Martha ate anything.  We were preparing for the Dutch tea.  We went to the MDR about 20 minutes early, there was already a queue, but 6 of us did get in fairly quickly.  It was quite tasty, and everything disappeared quickly.  We even asked for, and received, another stand.  There was a mishap during the tea, a passenger choked at a table at the other end of the room, but someone performed the Heimlich maneuver on him, and there was a scurrying of medical people, and all was well.  Everyone clapped!

Now on to Happy Hour!  

Dutch tea

54512F49-19E2-4C08-A3CD-B4A0E2F53D68.thumb.jpeg.c0e69215c900667fa334190bef503541.jpeg

• Like 21

44 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I think you may be heading for some larger waves.  From Windydotcom

@Vict0riann sorry to say that the big red blob to the south west of Ireland in that windy map looks pretty accurate!  We are currently experiencing storms with gust up to 100kph and torrential rain.  Same is forecast for tomorrow.  

Stay smooth!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are having a significant challenge with loud talking and conversation.  We have a connecting room that is causing the issue.  I met with guest services three days ago and another rep last night.  We were told that they were looking at changing our room and have been waiting all afternoon for the issue tio be resolved.  Anyone else having similar challenges on this or other sailings.  It has been a frustrating 9 days.  Thanks in advance.

• Thanks 1