What am I missing?

billydog

Pricing a 2 week Northern Islands Europe cruise. For Veranda quoting priced at Euro 1,249 on HAL's site. Option for Have it All (and OBC $300) included at Euro 3,429. Surely cost a lot less to buy the basic cruise and add HIA later as an add on ($50 or $100 a day). 

I must be missing something here?

Is the 1,249 Euro price the "Best Price" option? If so, the deposit is non-refundable, meaning you lose your deposit even if you cancel the next day. There is a third option (Advantage Price) in which the deposit is refundable but it does not include the HIA of the Best Value option. You or your TA must call to get the Advantage Price.

• Thanks 1

I think the short answer is. . . . .it depends.  We purchased HIA for our last several cruises and have it on our upcoming Panama Canal transit.  Since we would be purchasing signature drink packages, the HIA price of $50 pppd actually saved us money on drinks. . . . And we got internet, excursion credits and specialty dining with the price.

• Like 2

I think what you're missing is that you are not buying in the USA. We had the same experience in NZ (they price in A$ for us) - it was a complete no-brainer to NOT buy the HIA promo. We bought on a black friday sale so yes  our deposit is not refundable - but it was also trivial - about US$30 for the 2 of us. 

4 hours ago, billydog said:

I must be missing something here?

Nope, missing nothing.  We had a cruise on Courtesy hold last week for May to Norway.  euro 899 each for basic cruise (with $100 obc per stateroom), whereas with HIA was 1949 euro each (with $400 obc per stateroom) both for GTY veranda.

When I checked HAL Navigator later it offered me the option to purchase HIA for euro 495 each.  Obviously full payment was required immediately.