Jump to content

American Queen Voyages takes forever with refunds!


nray
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/27/2023 at 1:15 PM, Chrome Diva said:

My reservation is 1136221

my sister’s reservation is 1142935

Sorry we had to go to cruise critic when this should have been completed in July when AQV cancelled the cruise.  
thank you 

Thank you! Will keep you posted as we learn more about the status of your refund. Will also see if a representative can get in touch with you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, American Queen Voyages said:

Thank you! Will keep you posted as we learn more about the status of your refund. Will also see if a representative can get in touch with you.

We still have no refund today November 1 2023 is day 89.   Tomorrow is day 90 we have waited 89 working days for a refund on a cruise that has been paid in full since 2021    Never again.  This terrible since AQV cancelled the cruise. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2023 at 4:14 PM, Chrome Diva said:

We still have no refund today November 1 2023 is day 89.   Tomorrow is day 90 we have waited 89 working days for a refund on a cruise that has been paid in full since 2021    Never again.  This terrible since AQV cancelled the cruise. 

Hello! We have received an update that your refund has been taken care of and a check has gone out. Please let us know in the next week if you do not receive it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
We have been on several American Queen voyages (Mississippi River, Ohio River, Columbia River) and enjoyed them immensely so we decided to book their "Epic Eastern Seaboard" cruise. They cancelled the cruise in 2022 but we decided that we could wait until the following year, so they kept our full payment of almost $9,000 for the cruise. Then in late July in 2023 they cancelled the cruise again and they have no plans to offer this itinerary again. We asked for a refund rather than a cruise credit (their time of use requirements did not work for us), as the regulations of the Federal Maritime Commission governing non-performance by Passenger Vessel Operators (PVO/cruise lines) allowed for cruises departing from US ports. AQ Voyages told us it would take 90 days to process a refund and even though we did not think this was reasonable we decided to wait. Now they are telling us that it will take 90 BUSINESS DAYS! This inability to give us a refund in a timely manner makes us wonder if the company is in financial trouble. If you decide to book with American Queen Voyages be sure to use a credit card and do not pay too far in advance.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have been on several American Queen voyages (Mississippi River, Ohio River, Columbia River) and enjoyed them immensely so we decided to book their "Epic Eastern Seaboard" cruise. They cancelled the cruise in 2022 but we decided that we could wait until the following year, so they kept our full payment of almost $9,000 for the cruise. Then in late July in 2023 they cancelled the cruise again and they have no plans to offer this itinerary again. We asked for a refund rather than a cruise credit (their time of use requirements did not work for us), as the regulations of the Federal Maritime Commission governing non-performance by Passenger Vessel Operators (PVO/cruise lines) allowed for cruises departing from US ports. AQ Voyages told us it would take 90 days to process a refund and even though we did not think this was reasonable we decided to wait. Now they are telling us that it will take 90 BUSINESS DAYS! This inability to give us a refund in a timely manner makes us wonder if the company is in financial trouble. If you decide to book with American Queen Voyages be sure to use a credit card and do not pay too far in advance.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friendly hint on how to quote:  Click the Quote button at the bottom of a post, the cursor will be blinking in the white area below the blue quote box – just start typing your comment.  This will help prevent clutter in the thread, but more importantly it lets people know which post you are commenting on.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Friendly hint on how to quote:  Click the Quote button at the bottom of a post, the cursor will be blinking in the white area below the blue quote box – just start typing your comment.  This will help prevent clutter in the thread, but more importantly it lets people know which post you are commenting on.

 

Thanks for explaining this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Friendly hint on how to quote:  Click the Quote button at the bottom of a post, the cursor will be blinking in the white area below the blue quote box – just start typing your comment.  This will help prevent clutter in the thread, but more importantly it lets people know which post you are commenting on.

 

Thanks also for the explanation.  Never knew exactly how to quote before.  I winged it and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.  Now I know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Kangar00 said:

That is obviously not a good sign.  I was supposed to hear back from AQV no later than close of business today but I doubt that I will.

I’m going to call every single number I can find.   I’m past upset I’m a fire breathing dragon.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kangar00 said:
All is not lost Chrome Diva.  I did some research on the positive pay process? According to the interwebs it is supposed to prevent fraud but if AQV did not send a file to the bank, the check can be rejected:
The positive pay system helps financial institutions to avoid fraudulent activities. The banks do not clear any suspicious-looking checks, and the presenter is restrained from getting paid. This is a security measure that safeguards the customers from loss and deceit.  The positive pay system helps financial institutions to avoid fraudulent activities. The banks do not clear any suspicious-looking checks, and the presenter is restrained from getting paid. This is a security measure that safeguards the customers from loss and deceit.  

Problems

The problems with this method are as follows:

  • If the issuing company forgets to send a file to the bank, the bank may reject all the checks under that file.
  • A check may be presented to the bank before a file is submitted. In that case, the check might be rejected by the bank.
  • Preparing a list to provide to the bank is a time-consuming process.
  • The banks provide the company a stipulated period during which inquiries must be conducted, failing which the checks will get rejected.

That might be exactly what happened.  
going back to bank.  It’s Friday so I’ll post when I see green money.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi all,

 

We appreciate this issue being very important to you, and kudos to all of you sharing information!  However, we must ask that you not post:

 

  • Internal, non-published email address of cruise line employees
  • Last names of lower level cruise line employees

 

Thank you for your cooperation!

 

Also, a shout out to AQV for participating and assisting in this topic on Cruise Critic.

 

Laura

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LauraS said:

Hi all,

 

We appreciate this issue being very important to you, and kudos to all of you sharing information!  However, we must ask that you not post:

 

  • Internal, non-published email address of cruise line employees
  • Last names of lower level cruise line employees

 

Thank you for your cooperation!

 

Also, a shout out to AQV for participating and assisting in this topic on Cruise Critic.

 

Laura

AQV really has not assisted very much so far but in case they are monitoring this topic they need to get senior management to change this "90 business days" policy for refunds. I am certain that they are losing former and future customers because of this unjustifiable delay.  It is a real shame that they do this, because the onboard services and ships are wonderful.

My advice remains: 1. Do not book so early that you cannot file a credit card dispute in the event of a cancellation. 2. Do not patiently wait for AQV to issue a refund - go directly to your credit card company. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chrome Diva said:

I did not have to search very hard on the internet to find names and emails for AQV upper management.  I found these emails address from the public domain. 
your response should be going to Google to drop your email addresses 

Did they ever cash your AQV check or is it still bouncing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Chrome Diva said:

I’ve been out of the country.   But come Monday I’ll be at the bank.   
My friends check finally cleared.  
How is your refund coming along.  

Promises, promises to refund in late December

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still trying to get my refund! I paid in full for a cruise more than a year in advance. They totally changed the itinerary, and we requested a full refund. I have been promised a refund for a couple months and still no refund. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and AQV promised them they would be processing our refund right away. Basically, AQV lied to the BBB. I cannot believe how difficult it is to get a refund. They have been holding onto my money since Nov 11, 2021 !  That is over two years. I honestly keep thinking I will see AQV has gone bankrupt! They are clearly having a cash flow problems. I did a little research and found AQV is owned by Hornblower Group, which is actually owned by Crestview. Crestview is based in NYC. Crestview is a firm that basically buys and sells companies for their investors. I would think AQV is cash strapped and cannot process refunds as they do not have the money. I have contacted AQV John Waggoner (CEO) and requested a face to face meeting. I want to know where my refund is and why anyone would ever want to book a cruise with AQV? Anyone out there have any suggestions on how I can ever get my refund? I would appreciate any feedback and assistance on this issue. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jssinc said:

Still trying to get my refund! I paid in full for a cruise more than a year in advance. They totally changed the itinerary, and we requested a full refund. I have been promised a refund for a couple months and still no refund. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and AQV promised them they would be processing our refund right away. Basically, AQV lied to the BBB. I cannot believe how difficult it is to get a refund. They have been holding onto my money since Nov 11, 2021 !  That is over two years. I honestly keep thinking I will see AQV has gone bankrupt! They are clearly having a cash flow problems. I did a little research and found AQV is owned by Hornblower Group, which is actually owned by Crestview. Crestview is based in NYC. Crestview is a firm that basically buys and sells companies for their investors. I would think AQV is cash strapped and cannot process refunds as they do not have the money. I have contacted AQV John Waggoner (CEO) and requested a face to face meeting. I want to know where my refund is and why anyone would ever want to book a cruise with AQV? Anyone out there have any suggestions on how I can ever get my refund? I would appreciate any feedback and assistance on this issue. Thank you.

I finally got a check   I deposit the check on Friday and the money is still in my account.  But I had to fight all the way to the top with them.    Never again 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Chrome Diva said:

I finally got a check   I deposit the check on Friday and the money is still in my account.  But I had to fight all the way to the top with them.    Never again 

I am glad to hear that the check has not bounced.  We are hoping that we get our refund soon.. we can't really afford to lose over $8000 like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Kangar00 said:

I am glad to hear that the check has not bounced.  We are hoping that we get our refund soon.. we can't really afford to lose over $8000 like this.

My check was for $8,000 also.  I’m so happy it hasn’t bounced.  That’s a couple of house payments 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2023 at 6:42 PM, jssinc said:

Still trying to get my refund! I paid in full for a cruise more than a year in advance. They totally changed the itinerary, and we requested a full refund. I have been promised a refund for a couple months and still no refund. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and AQV promised them they would be processing our refund right away. Basically, AQV lied to the BBB. I cannot believe how difficult it is to get a refund. They have been holding onto my money since Nov 11, 2021 !  That is over two years. I honestly keep thinking I will see AQV has gone bankrupt! They are clearly having a cash flow problems. I did a little research and found AQV is owned by Hornblower Group, which is actually owned by Crestview. Crestview is based in NYC. Crestview is a firm that basically buys and sells companies for their investors. I would think AQV is cash strapped and cannot process refunds as they do not have the money. I have contacted AQV John Waggoner (CEO) and requested a face to face meeting. I want to know where my refund is and why anyone would ever want to book a cruise with AQV? Anyone out there have any suggestions on how I can ever get my refund? I would appreciate any feedback and assistance on this issue. Thank you.

Hi! If you're comfortable, can you please share your reservation ID? We will look into this and see if we can help expedite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since it appears that AQV guest relations occasionally checks this board please see if you can "expedite" the refund for the following two reservations as well. 

RES CONFIRMATION #1131761
RES CONFIRMATION #1131760

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...