How tough is Royal enforcing their incipit patronizing "clean your plate" policy?

1 hour ago, poocher said:

And have you actually experienced this or are you just getting worked up over posts here?

I'm reacting to the myriad reviews from recent cruisers who have all independently verified that exact fact...or do you think these very specific mentions of MDR policy changes are the result of some kind of mass psychosis being experienced by passengers on multiple Royal ships, all of which began manifesting at the exact same time?

Or maybe Royal made some changes to MDR service. 

And the majority of cruisers do not post on CC.  This is a very small sample and not everyone is reporting this issue.  There are some who have gotten their meals as requested.  I choose not to get wound up about it until and unless it actually affects my dining experience on my next cruise in May.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nelblu said:

Tell the waiter as an example that your spaghetti Bolognese is your appetizer and will provide your main entree in the proper sequence and time frame.  Once the waiter gets to know your idiosyncrasies the rest of your cruise should be uneventful.  For instance, in February I was sailing on Anthem and on the first night I told the waiter/asst. waiter that I wanted a specific drink under the tier level drink allowance.  He asked for my Sea Pass card and every night, thereafter, only asked if I wanted the same drink.  Never asked to see my Sea Pass again.

Sounds great , but I'm not sure how this gets them served at the same time , just 1 after the other as we can already ..?

9 hours ago, Mom*3 said:

We were on the Wonder, Mar 12. It may have just been our waiter, but he brought multiple appetizers and entrees out at the same time. Brought dishes he thought we should try. The experience was similar to past cruises. Our daughter does not eat lobster, so she ordered 1, we transferred to my husband’s plate and immediately her second entree was delivered. 

Similar experience, I told the waiter I liked the appetizer, and he brought me 2 more. 

8 hours ago, poocher said:

And the majority of cruisers do not post on CC.  This is a very small sample and not everyone is reporting this issue.  There are some who have gotten their meals as requested.  I choose not to get wound up about it until and unless it actually affects my dining experience on my next cruise in May.  

Good point.  I only started reading CC after 20 years of cruising.🙃

2 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Sounds great , but I'm not sure how this gets them served at the same time , just 1 after the other as we can already ..?

If it were me - Ask for it served family style - you'd like the plate delivered with each person's solo entree b/c you will share it at your table...even if you don't.

We were on Odyssey last month, table of seven, we all ordered multiple apps, entrees and desserts and they were always served at the same time, no issue  whatsoever. Out of the seven, three of us didn’t want the lobster tail but we ordered one anyway, along with the entree we did want, and gave our lobster to the others so they could have two. Again, no issue whatsoever. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 9:31 PM, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

I eat quick. I like to get two entres, hit it and split it. No appetizer or desert nonsense. Keep that bread basket away from me. 

I'm really not looking forward to having to get into some back and forth if I'm told I can only get one entre after another. And what if I don't "sufficiently" clean the plate? Am I then forbad from from dining further? 

This entire policy seriously is the stupidest most obnoxious way they could tackle the food waste problem.  

What is this clean your plate policy you mentioned? I have been on 3 RCI cruises this month, including a 9 day cruise I am on right now, and I have no idea what you are talking about. The only change I have seen in the MDR is you can no longer get unlimited lobster for no additional cost. Nothing else has changed.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2023 at 9:31 PM, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

I eat quick. I like to get two entres, hit it and split it. No appetizer or desert nonsense. Keep that bread basket away from me. 

I'm really not looking forward to having to get into some back and forth if I'm told I can only get one entre after another. And what if I don't "sufficiently" clean the plate? Am I then forbad from from dining further? 

This entire policy seriously is the stupidest most obnoxious way they could tackle the food waste problem.  

If all you want is the piece of chicken on the plate and not the sides that come with it, or any apertizers or dessert, why not just go to the WJ, and you can place several peices of meat on your plate, and skip all that you don't want?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

It's called click bait.  

Or it's what has been reported on multiple sailings by multiple passengers in multiple reviews. There's no "click bait" here Jeffrey...it's not like I have paid advertisers in this thread or something. 

If you LoyalRoyals don't want to acknowledge the change fine, but kindly stay out of my thread about it. 

1 minute ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Or it's what has been reported on multiple sailings by multiple passengers in multiple reviews. There's no "click bait" here Jeffrey...it's not like I have paid advertisers in this thread or something. 

If you LoyalRoyals don't want to acknowledge the change fine, but kindly stay out of my thread about it. 

Seriously, go to WJ and you can pick what you want, like multiple pieces of meat and no veggies or bread, or desert.  In the main dining room, it is a 3 course sit down dinner, where your food is plated already, and it is predetermined as in the menu. That's the great thing about a cruise, you don't need to eat where you are not comfortable with.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Seriously, go to WJ and you can pick what you want, like multiple pieces of meat and no veggies or bread, or desert.  In the main dining room, it is a 3 course sit down dinner, where your food is plated already, and it is predetermined as in the menu. That's the great thing about a cruise, you don't need to eat where you are not comfortable with.

I'm not asking them to do any special plating. This has nothing to do with substitutions or anything like that.  I just don't want my meal needlessly extended by only being permitted to have one entre at a time delivered to the table. Read my first post. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

I'm not asking them to do any special plating. This has nothing to do with substitutions or anything like that.  I just don't want my meal needlessly extended by only being permitted to have one entre at a time delivered to the table. Read my first post. 

His answer still stands... go to a different restaurant.  WJ if you want free, or one of the specialty if you're willing to pay. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Wow, I feel like I just got lectured by my mom with the "Jeffrey" comment.  I have experienced this 1 entree policy firsthand, and there was no "clean your plate" policy before your second entree.  That was what I was pointing out, many of these titles are embellished or exaggerated. Often without any first hand experience to back them up.  If there have been multiple first hand reports that the plate must be entirely cleaned before a second entree is given, then please accept my apologies.  There is a new one entree rule, I experienced it being enforced, some passengers report no changes on other sailings and I have seen no evidence nor experienced from my one Royal cruise since the new policy that the plate needs to be cleaned before a second entree is brought out.

As far as being a "LoyalRoyal", try again to post without speculating. Our last 2 cruises prior to our Wonder cruise were with Princess, whose message boards are filled with complaints and embellishments as well.  We actually sail 3 lines and are considering others. As far as staying out of a posted message what kind of responses are you looking for? Real world experiences or just to stir the pot with a comment like "patronizing clean your plate" policy that doesn't exist? 

Edited by JeffT237
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

You either don't understand the change or do understand and want to fire people up with the exaggeration !

Most here do acknowledge the change ,however , it's just not the imaginary change you are speaking of . I have experienced the new policy and found it to be quite silly , but I have not yet heard 1 person here claim that anyone told them they had to clean their plate... but simply that you can't be served 2 entrees at the same time. Get your first entree...look at it...change your mind ... tell them you are done with it and they'll take it away and bring your second one ASAP !

Facts matter 

Cheers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

His answer still stands... go to a different restaurant.  WJ if you want free, or one of the specialty if you're willing to pay. 

There is no "different" complimentary restaurant. The fact MDR is a "3-course" restaurant is irrelevant. I'm not asking for some kind of customized serving order...just bringing out more than one appetizer or entre at a time if a passenger wants to eat them both at once...a perfectly reasonable request that was not problematic at all until very recently. 

On 3/26/2023 at 6:31 PM, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

I'm assuming you're traveling solo?  If so, my experience on Navigator last week belied your concerns.  The first night, I wanted ONLY two appetizers (crab cakes) served simultaneously.  I told the waiter this, and that I needed to be somewhere at 6 p.m.  I received a plate with a double serving of crab cakes just as the other people at my table arrived (I was seated at 5:20 p.m. for early dining at 5:30 p.m.).  If you don't want an appetizer or dessert, just be up front with your server, and let him/her know you'd like both entrees to be served promptly.  If you're at a 2-top, this is much easier to arrange, sure.  As far as the bread basket is concerned, if it's located near you, just ignore it?

I would imagine your comment about "clean the plate" is somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  It has never been my experience in the MDR that I'm expected to have a clean plate, although the server is typically concerned if I appear to have not enjoyed what's on the plate.  Just use common dining etiquette and place your knife and fork together on the plate to signal you're done.  If there is room on your (2-top) table for two entree plates at one time (which tend to be larger than the appetizer dishes), I'm sure your server will do their best to meet your wishes for simultaneous serving, or at least rapid replacement of Entree #1 with Entree #2, regardless of how much is left on Plate #1 -- if you signal you're done.

It sounds as though you haven't yet experienced the policy in person.  Maybe give it a try?  The dining experience in the MDR is supposed to more like a restaurant dining experience than a fast (or semi-fast) food experience.  If your preference is to "hit it and split it," maybe it would be better to save the MDR experience for when you feel like a more leisurely meal.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

There is no "different" complimentary restaurant. The fact MDR is a "3-course" restaurant is irrelevant. I'm not asking for some kind of customized serving order...just bringing out more than one appetizer or entre at a time if a passenger wants to eat them both at once...a perfectly reasonable request that was not problematic at all until very recently. 

First, the WJ is not a complimentary restaurant?  What do you consider it?

Second, it doesn't matter whether you, me, or anyone on this board considers your request "reasonable" or not.  It matters whether ROYAL considers it reasonable.  If you don't like it, don't sail with them.  Vote with your wallet.  

Or, join the other CC poster who will "make a scene" if he doesn't get his plates served when he wants them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm still sitting here wondering how we would have been able to fit more than one entree plate (or even more than one ANYTHING plate, besides after everything was cleared for dessert) on a 2 top, as my friend and I had NO room for anything else.....

I would say, go eat dinner, see what strikes your fancy and then eat it.....if you get two entrees at the same time or one at a time, or 6 appetizers, doesn't call for stress.....

18 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

See the link below to a comment I made on another thread about dining.  Not sure how much quicker you will eat your meal if you get both plates at the same time.  If it takes 10 minutes to eat a steak and 10 minutes to eat a lobster, you are only saving the extra exchange time the waiter takes to supply the new plate.  However in my experiences, there is simply no room on the table to add additional plates. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2923823-anyone-enjoying-the-new-menu-selections/?do=findComment&comment=65098972

1 hour ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

I read you post. You said, no bread, no apertizer and no desert, you only want a plate of food.  I get it, that is why I said if you don't want to sit down to a full 3 course meal, than the WJ is the place to go, where you get to pick what you want, and eat it in the speed you want since you don't want to wait to be served.  It's OK to be different, but the MDR is different than the WJ and each place is suited for a certain group.  They will however bring you another plate once you finish the first one, just like they don't serve all 3 courses at once.  It just isn't set up for that.  

• Like 1

Typical CC thread:

1.  OP makes claims that imaginary worst-case scenario is happening all over based on "reports"

2.  Numerous people in thread tell OP that worst-case scenario is, in fact, not happening

3.  OP doubles down

4.  Hilarity and/or eye-rolling ensue

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

I think if your waiter will not accommodate you, just wave for the head waiter and mention a little thing called POST cruise SURVEY.  That will solve the issue and you will be taken care of.  

• Like 1