Offered to upgrade to YC interior

AtSeaWithChris

2 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

If we accept would we get all YC benefits like drink and wifi if moving from a TA free cabin?

If you’re considering a bid I suggest you do a mock booking first to see if it’s not cheaper to just upgrade yourself. My experience is that opening bid is sometimes higher than just upgrading outright. 

• Like 1

Hello,

I have been invited to bid for a number of YC suites. They come with the PE drinks package, but I  have already bought one. Should I be successful with the upbid, will I get the purchased PE drinks package cost refunded?

Regards,

Cublet

14 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I have been invited to bid for a number of YC suites. They come with the PE drinks package, but I  have already bought one. Should I be successful with the upbid, will I get the purchased PE drinks package cost refunded?

Regards,

Cublet

No, if you are upgraded, you do not get a refund.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

It depends...with MSC, all things are simultaneously possible and impossible. It you know physics, it's like a quantum wave state. Until you ask the question (measure it), you won't know the actual answer.

If you win the bid, ask the concierge nicely and they may give you OBC.

Or, call and speak to a rep (or three) and see if they will refund you.

It *never* hurts to ask...

Edited by alyssamma
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

No, they only give the YC upgrades to those who have the drinks package booked! Your bid therefore has a greater chance of being accepted.  😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

No, they only give the YC upgrades to those who have the drinks package booked! Your bid therefore has a greater chance of being accepted.  😉

After I posed the question I found the terms and conditions. See below. 

21. If the Guest wins an Upgrade to an "Aurea" or "Yacht Club" experience cabin, the original booked experience "Bella" or "Fantastica" will be changed with the new experience "Aurea" or "Yacht Club". The new experience will guarantee to Guests all the benefits related to the "Aurea" or "Yacht Club" experience. 

https://upg.plusgrade.com/terms/partner/9Ck2Ks4MSC?lang=en

4 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

No, if you are upgraded, you do not get a refund.

Well, it depends.  #1) if you booked a rate with Wifi and Beverage you will not get any refund.  However, #2) if you added a Beverage package separately to a reservation and you are still more than 3 days out you should be able to cancel the package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Morgsmom said:

Well, it depends.  #1) if you booked a rate with Wifi and Beverage you will not get any refund.  However, #2) if you added a Beverage package separately to a reservation and you are still more than 3 days out you should be able to cancel the package.

I would cancel any wifi and drink package before you bid to upgrade. If bid is not accepted then buy the packages. That way you don’t get caught in the middle. 

1 minute ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

So you’re saying we will definitely not win an upgrade bid if we do not have the drink package?  Then why offer if we have no chance?

The starting bid for your offer might be higher based on what you have already paid... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

So you’re saying we will definitely not win an upgrade bid if we do not have the drink package?  Then why offer if we have no chance?

Not as strong as 'definitely', simply that those who have paid more are ahead of you. They use an algorithm, taking account of pricing factors.

16 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

No, I think (hope?) the poster was making a joke.

The bidding process isn't even handled by MSC...it is done by a third party. No one knows how they determine anything, although starting bids are obviously based on how many cabins they still have available.

3 hours ago, alyssamma said:

No, I think (hope?) the poster was making a joke.

The bidding process isn't even handled by MSC...it is done by a third party. No one knows how they determine anything, although starting bids are obviously based on how many cabins they still have available.

MSC don't know how MSC determine things so, they're really not going to know how a 3rd party does it 😂🤣😂

• Haha 7

"Have been offered" makes the upgrade option sound exclusive.  It's not.  They can throw out a 1,000 offers and end up accepting none.  

I'm guessing there's a potential upgrade list that's maintained by the third party and at some or multiple points it's compared to what's available on a specific sailing.  If balconies are at 60% a couple of weeks prior to sailing it's doubtful they'll get to 100%. So you're talking about a significant number of cabins with upgrade potential.

If you're talking about a handful of YC cabins, if I were MSC, I'd hold them out for last minute full price purchases.  

There are dog sailings, like those out of NYC, that are going to go out 50-75% full.  If I were MSC I'd leverage the upgrade program to make as additional revenue as I could.

And here is the rule on purchased or included options that would be included in a YC upgrade.

image.thumb.png.2da218199edbecc624597dcbc455ba5d.png

9 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

"Have been offered" makes the upgrade option sound exclusive.  It's not.  They can throw out a 1,000 offers and end up accepting none.  

Who said or implied this?

How else would you phrase it if not "have been offered?"

9 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

If I were MSC I'd leverage the upgrade program to make as additional revenue as I could.

Unfortunately MSC, as was mentioned above, does not control this...a third party does